Kytac Braveheart G26 IWB holster Review

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Background: I told my Dad yesterday “The holster search is over”. As some of you may know, I have not been able to find “The One” holster for my Glock 26. I have come pretty close, but there was always one small thing that kept it from being “the One”. We all have a box full of holsters that we accumulate over the years searching for that one holster that is perfect for our particular style of carry, body type and weapon of choice. The perfect holster for a 1911 might not work for a Glock. And a holster that works for you might not work for me. Well, my holster search ended this weekend with a Kytac Braveheart. I have been talking to David about what I needed and he suggested trying his Braveheart model. I took his advice since he is the holster master and it was good advice.

First Glance: The holster doesn't look like a typical holster when you first pull it out of the bag. It has a stabilizer “wing” extending off the rear of the main body to stabilize the holster once it is attached to the belt. The kydex is slightly thicker than the Kytac “Burk” holster that has swept the nation (OK, well maybe OKC) I will explain why later.

Holster Quality: As with all Kytac gear, the workmanship is top notch. Quality kydex, smoothed and rounded edges and designed to work without a bunch of extra fluff you don’t need. I call them minimalist. The loop off the main body is formed from the same piece of kydex so there are no extra screws or thickness. It is simply folded over from the body. For this reason it is made from a slightly thicker material than the Kytac “Burk” holster I reviewed for my J-frame. The same material is used for the stabilizer wing and the rear clip is also folded overfrom a single piece of kydex. A small piece of leather connects the main bodyand the stabilizer thus allowing the entire holster it to conform to your body.

Firearm Fit: One word, perfect! As we have come to know, kydex offers superior fit and firearm retention. David doesn't like to put a trigger guard “pinch” but I asked him to and he did so. It gives the gun a distinctive click when fully seated insidethe holster. It’s a personal choice but that’s the way I like them.

Overall Impression:David handed me the holster at the last match and I slipped it in my waistband and I knew the holster was what I had been looking for. My history with G26 holsters has been tumultuous at best. Most holsters carried it too high; somehad too much cant for a smaller gun, some just sucked. One of them even fell out of my waistband and bounced across the sidewalk. The Braveheart carries the gun at about a 10-15 degree cant and it rides as low as it can and still allows a full combat grip. It also pulls the gun in very snug against my side. Everyone’s body type is slightly different but most Baby Glock holsters don’tdo this.

Overall Rating: 5 +P hollowpoint rating (out of 5)

Maybe David should consider calling it “The One”
wink.gif

Now for some pictures:

P4190061.jpg

P4190063.jpg

P4190055.jpg

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Here is my braveheart for my pf9. I wore the holster all day yesterday on campus (without a gun of course! That isn't legal yet) and continued wearing it through a nightshift at work. I forgot it was there for the most part. It doesn't get sweaty, nor does the kydex irritate my skin. It is super concealable even with my tight girly shirts. The draw allows for a full grip and the retention is just right. I must agree with Burk that this is the end-all holster for IWB concealment. Yes, even better than the leather/kydex combo holsters out there.

SAM_0501.jpg

SAM_0502.jpg

SAM_0504.jpg

SAM_0503.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Hey, start your own thread!
angry.gif

You seem to wear yours a little farther forward (towards appendix) than I do. Does the cant work well up that far or would a zero cant work better?

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I've always preferred a slight forward cant with three o'clock. I'm ashamed to admit this, but my previous holster was an uncle mike's limpRichard IWB holster. I actually modified it for a forward cant. I would occasionally use a belly band worn low on the thorax, but retention was a big issue, and the band would never stay in place. I used a borrowed crossbreed for a week. I liked the concealability, but it tended to grab onto my underpanties, which in turn caused tectonic shifting to my manparts. This braveheart is a winner all the way for me.

Edit: I changed some of the wording so as to avoid the Banhammer of THOR

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
Dave is making a braveheart for my G27 and I am glad to see all of the positive reviews.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
First of all, don't be a hater.

Second, I think it could be made tuckable with the same method that he uses for the "Burk" holster. Just a separate piece of kydex for the clip instead of folding it over. I'm sure David will chime in here shortly.

I think I see how that cam be modified to a "tuckable". Those are nice holsters. I am pondering one for the 1911.

BTW.... I hate skinny people B)

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
First of all, don't be a hater.

Second, I think it could be made tuckable with the same method that he uses for the "Burk" holster. Just a separate piece of kydex for the clip instead of folding it over. I'm sure David will chime in here shortly.

Ok... I dont hate skinny people... let's just call it self loathing and move on. :03:

I was thinkin ... maybe a clip and a wing -both mounted on the trailing edge may work. Or just make a bigger version of the Burk with one tuckable clip. I've carried 1911's with less....

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Dude, that ain't right. Us Pokes are supposed to be in each others corner. I will give you 1/2 hour to remedy this oversight before I pull out some photos I snapped last weekend.

Anyway, stop hijacking my thread.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
All fixed up. :angry: :angry: Could you get a picture of how it looks concealed the way you wear it towards your back?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I should have known. How dare I compete with such a debonaire and muscular fellow! :)

Now your just being sarcastic. I like honest better.

That's a tough picture to take. See if these will help. If you meant CONCEALED, it just looks like a picture of me wearing a shirt

P4190066.jpg
+

P4190070.jpg

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Neither of those were honest or sarcastic. Just in good humor :D I don't think I could find a nicer guy than you!

I'll have to get used to it, but on my body it does blend into the clothes a lot better when worn further back.

Latest posts