Just got home from the indoor range (along with EXCELLENT advice from the RSO)...

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
As I posted on Facebook (and hopefully nobody freaks out...):

"Just got home... Had over a 1/2 hour wait, as Winding Brook was packed with people, plus they were having a firearm training class too (which is why the parking lot was jammed).
I had a great time, a little nervous at the beginning, and was all over the place. But with the help from the RSO (Range Safety Officer), who's former Navy, he helped me relax, focus, and not get all jittery. He made me laugh which really calmed me down. "You got a solid steel 1911 .45 okay? It ain't gonna fall apart. It ain't gonna hurt you. Those old things are built like tanks! Breath, relax, and always stay focused on the front sight. Every squeeze of the trigger should be a surprise."
So, as you can see by my target from 20 feet away, I initially was all over the place, but after his help, and I calmed myself down, I was hitting the bullseye straight on, and couldn't believe it! Now, I just have to remember this for next time! :D "

tqKfSM0.jpg

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... I haven't been shooting my full size RIA 1911-A1 .45 ACP in quite a while (now with over 850 rounds and still no malfunctions!), so I was a little jittery at first.

Here is that homemade target in case anyone wants it. Feel free to click on it, download it, bring it up in Photoshop or whatever photo editor, change it around, etc... and print it out on 8½ x 11 white cardstock paper, or just regular computer paper. For all sharpshooter experts out there, here are the exact dimensions/diameters of the target, when printed full size 8½ x 11....

Black bullseye: 3/4 inches.
Yellow ring: 2 1/4 inches.
Blue ring: 4 1/2 inches.
Outer target ring: 6 1/2 inches.

PUJeXyR.jpg

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh yeah... They've reopened, reorganized, and have been the "place to be" for quite a while now! In the metro Richmond, VA area there are actually 3 public indoor ranges, that range from (1) absolutely awful and downright terrifying, to (2) a great place that's well known, state of the art, but yet loaded with "range nazi's", which gives off a bad impression and range experience, to (3) the ultimate high tech, state of the art range, that's more relaxed and yet very professional without RSO's barking orders and breathing down the back of your neck.

(1) Dominion Range (aka the old D&P range) off Midlothian Tnpk. No... Just... No... Honest and truthful right from the heart? The place needs to be shutdown. You literally can't breathe in there due to lack of proper ventilation. It's a wonder nobody has gotten brain damage yet from the fumes!!

(2) Colonial Shooting Academy on Broad St. Awesome place, but, once Winding Brook got all reorganized and reopened back up, everyone left Colonial and the rude, obnoxious, RSO's.

(3) Winding Brook Indoor Range in Ashland, VA -- right across the street/huge parking lot from Bass Pro Shop along I-95. Unbelievable place. Very professional, very clean, very friendly, and the RSO's are always helpful and will chat with you for a moment or two about your particular handgun. $18 bucks for a range fee (Military Veterans, LEO, etc...), and you can shoot your own ammo and use your own eyes & ears protection and heck, be cheap like me, and print out your own target and use that!

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds good, Butch. My daughter and her family live in Manakin-Sabot. I gave up taking them to Colonial because of their practice of allowing rifles and shotguns on what should be a pistol range. They're also very sensitive about someone giving shooting instructions on their ranges - they want exclusive rights to that. Too bad. Winding Brook is also close to my other daughter's family in Mechanicsville.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
nice job Butch

I have to agree with Fred G.. better to shoot great at the end of a session than watch yourself stay at the end.

heck I still get the a bit hyper and very excited ( like the day I started shooting )on the way to the range most times. shooting is THE fun in my life. it is not just a hobby. It is a destination and the highlight of my days off. I am an early AM shooter. it starts my day off right.
enjoy your range time--cherish it

I am blessed to be a member of 3 ranges and all are within 15 minutes of home . One outdoors--love it when the weather permits. One indoors( a club). Older set up including hand cranking of targets out to 50 feet. great place. Nice folks to get to know. GREAT ventilation.

one I go to is a public range with a lgs attached. They made a HUGE error when building it. the intake vents(outsid e air feed) are NOT directed at the lanes. they blow down--it does NOTHING to remove fumes. The in- lane vents cycle from lane to lane so you do NOT Get constant air flow or ventilation . I only go there if it is too hot or too cold to shoot at the other ranges. too bad , . it was supposed to be state of the art.

nice to have a choice though.

Last edited:

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... I feel so ashamed for neglecting my RIA 1911. I looked back at my various postings and notes and whatnot. The last time I was at the indoor range was last Sept 9th!!! o_O

Sept 9th 2018
Feb 2nd 2019
----------------
Just about a 5 month absence from any range activity! No wonder I was all rusty and all over the place on my target! For shame... For shame... :(

Sedentary Mike

Fanatic
Thanks... I haven't been shooting my full size RIA 1911-A1 .45 ACP in quite a while (now with over 850 rounds and still no malfunctions!), so I was a little jittery at first.

Here is that homemade target in case anyone wants it. Feel free to click on it, download it, bring it up in Photoshop or whatever photo editor, change it around, etc... and print it out on 8½ x 11 white cardstock paper, or just regular computer paper. For all sharpshooter experts out there, here are the exact dimensions/diameters of the target, when printed full size 8½ x 11....

Black bullseye: 3/4 inches.
Yellow ring: 2 1/4 inches.
Blue ring: 4 1/2 inches.
Outer target ring: 6 1/2 inches.

PUJeXyR.jpg
I've used paper plates on which I've centered vertical and horizontal lines. Your target's a whole lot better looking.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... I can't remember where I found it, but I downloaded it, then decided to use my Photoshop abilities, and colored it in, enhanced it, wrote details on it, etc...

The contrast between yellow and the black bullseye can be easily seen at 100 yards, which makes it great for rifle shooters too.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Guys, I love 1911's and have had several over the years. All in .45 acp caliber.......Colts, Ruger's, etc., but age and health issues have kind of caught up with me and I can't rack the slide on the .45's now. I gave up, and even though I really hated to, I sold my last Ruger Lightweight Stainless Commander a while back. I just couldn't stand being without a 1911 as I've had one all my life. I bought a Browning 1911 Black Label Compact in .380 because I could rack the slide on it. I know y'all probably all frown on the .380 caliber, and I know it won't compare with the .45, but at least I have another 1911 that I can handle. I've fired it about 200 times without any issues at all....and, it's very accurate. Thanks for your time. Have a great day, guy's !

wfgiles

New Fanatic
As I posted on Facebook (and hopefully nobody freaks out...):

"Just got home... Had over a 1/2 hour wait, as Winding Brook was packed with people, plus they were having a firearm training class too (which is why the parking lot was jammed).
I had a great time, a little nervous at the beginning, and was all over the place. But with the help from the RSO (Range Safety Officer), who's former Navy, he helped me relax, focus, and not get all jittery. He made me laugh which really calmed me down. "You got a solid steel 1911 .45 okay? It ain't gonna fall apart. It ain't gonna hurt you. Those old things are built like tanks! Breath, relax, and always stay focused on the front sight. Every squeeze of the trigger should be a surprise."
So, as you can see by my target from 20 feet away, I initially was all over the place, but after his help, and I calmed myself down, I was hitting the bullseye straight on, and couldn't believe it! Now, I just have to remember this for next time! :D "

tqKfSM0.jpg
Damn..... Nice shootin' Tex

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
Butch,
Great range work. I have a Citadel 1911 (made by RIA) that I shoot in Wild Bunch. Approaching 10,000 rounds. Enjoy your 1911. Shoot it often. My favorite pistol.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
10,000 rounds? Wow.... I'm at (a little over) 850 rounds out of my RIA. I seriously need to shoot more!!!

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
Actually only 9,188. I smile when I read about the RIA's being inferior. Mine still has the original barrel bushing. So accurate I am afraid to change it. LOL

Enjoy your 1911 -- and all the new friends it will send your way.

Gunner

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Guys, I love 1911's and have had several over the years. All in .45 acp caliber.......Colts, Ruger's, etc., but age and health issues have kind of caught up with me and I can't rack the slide on the .45's now. I gave up, and even though I really hated to, I sold my last Ruger Lightweight Stainless Commander a while back. I just couldn't stand being without a 1911 as I've had one all my life. I bought a Browning 1911 Black Label Compact in .380 because I could rack the slide on it. I know y'all probably all frown on the .380 caliber, and I know it won't compare with the .45, but at least I have another 1911 that I can handle. I've fired it about 200 times without any issues at all....and, it's very accurate. Thanks for your time. Have a great day, guy's !
sorry to hear. when a slid e is tough to rack(due to hand pain), I hold the slide and push with the grip handle..works every time. go to 9mm for continued fun with 1911s.380 is 9mm short--=all good

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
Jerre,
I pulled my left bicep last year and could not shoot, or ride. I bought a FS 9 mm 1911 and tuned it for light loads (10# recoil spring, 18# main spring) load PF about 130. It kept me shooting and was amazing fun. All the negatives you hear on the web are bunk. Runs like a sewing machine and is more accurate than my 45 ACP. Easy to rack.