just finished my ar15 lower

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
pretty simple actually

PSA stripped lower - $132 after tax
PSA/Magpul MOE ACS-L Lower build kit - $221 after tax/shipping

$353 invested...now to save up a lil more and buy a PSA upper for $320 in store...then BCG and charging handle...DIY FTW

C5A0F8E1-791D-4809-B05D-0C3371976C6A-17615-00000492D4CFF0C6_zps8672ddea.jpg

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
FYI

the $319. upper is a plain jane.

their chrome lined upper (classic? or some other name) is $399. W/O BCG and charging handle.

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
FYI

the $319. upper is a plain jane.

their chrome lined upper (classic? or some other name) is $399. W/O BCG and charging handle.

It's $319 in store...my buddy picked up 2 of them a few weeks ago...CL stamped on barrel

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
PSA has more barrel upper combinations that you can shake a stick at. I think all are chrome lined, but at times they have sold 4140, 4150 with normal "cut" rifling, along with the cold hammer forged barrels. The prices vary and even before the panic they hardly ever had all the variations in stock at the same time to compare the prices.

I was up there this past Sunday at the I-26 store and the only 5.56 barrels they had were 14.7 inch that were without flash hiders. They were selling them only as pistol or SBR builds. They would be illegal to own with a finished rifle lower without having the flash hider permanently attached, since you would be in possession of a short barrel rifle.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Finding a BCG right now might be tough...may be easier to buy a complete upper rather than just parts. Although if you plan on building your upper, it's really simple and fun. Nothing like knowing exactly how something goes together. If you're around Columbia and need a hand, let me know.

I finished building my last AR right after the Sandy Hook thing happened. I had started the build buying PSA parts when they were on sale because I was trying to build their premium M4 Patrol Rifle without the price tag. The only part I DIDN'T have was the lower (I was trying to wait on one of the blemished PSA lowers for $60 to come back in stock) but when the shooting happened, I bought a new one for $90 because I knew the prices were going up. And Andy on here hooked me up with a charging handle because those were GONE immediately, along with BCGs. Individual parts are pretty scarce (and expensive) at the moment.

I love the ACS stocks. The cheek weld on them is unbelievably comfortable and natural feeling compared to a regular stock. I've got the regular ACS but I have debated getting the ACS-L for my other rifle.

Anyhow

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
picked up a full auto bcg and ambi charging handle combo for 150 and a stripped blemished(cant find the blemish) upper for 60...so far $590 invested with $21 of that being shipping

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice. Next time we have a gun show I need to troll around for some M16 bolt carriers too - slow the roll on my 6.8(s).

Midway has AO and another brand M4 uppers for $75 -$80, with the parts to complete them (dust cover and assist) about $15.

So I just need to find the $ (and a place to make it) for a 14.7 6.8 barrel with welded Phantom, matching bolt, and the $80 YHM gas block. :roll:

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
deal are out there...just have to be patient...I purchased everything from Palmetto State Armory's website..minus the lower...bought that in store

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
If you sign up for PSA's emails you'll find complete lowers for $199 and complete uppers for around $450

They have good deals frequently. You can get a stripped lower, all internal parts, and magazines for cheap.

Palmetto State Armory makes every gunshop local to you look like the bastards on Armslist selling everything for 2 - 5 times what they paid for it.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
PSA's prices are usually some of the best. If you're out of area and require fast shipping, however, the higher prices of a competitor might be necessary. Whenever I take advantage of an online PSA deal (since I'm local) its never an item I need in a hurry.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
The I26 store reminds me of a Cabelas crossed with East Coast Guns, with size about halfway between.

I will say I'm not happy with the trigger groups in their LPKs. Otherwise, I've been happy with everything I've bought there.

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
Just assembled 2 more lowers for the build kits I bought last month...also got all the parts to finish my first rifle (15 months later)...just need to torque it all down

Left is a PTAC upper with blackhawk grip and stock on psa lower
Middle is a PSA Freedom upper with psa lower and parts
Right is built for me:
PSA upper, lower, 16in light profile 1/7 twist barrel, lantac dragon brake, PSA full auto bcg, ambi charging handle, parallax tactical 15in free float rail, magpul mbus pros, magpul moe grip, magpul acs-l stock,

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I apoligize if I missed it or just forgot it in the last 20 months, what brand of handguard is that? I thinks I likee that rail arrangement. How much does the whole gun weigh?

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
I apoligize if I missed it or just forgot it in the last 20 months, what brand of handguard is that? I thinks I likee that rail arrangement. How much does the whole gun weigh?
its the 15in FFSSR (Free Float Super Slim Rail) from parallax tactical (out of CA so no tax :D :D :D )...comes in at 7.2lbs on my bathroom scale...good bit lighter than my 9.6lbs mini14
Dayman said:
How would you compare the ptac, freedom, and psa uppers? :?:
only difference I saw was slight color difference in the ptac...didnt shoot them...just built and sold

Latest posts