Just checking in

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Been MIA for a while. Thought I'd check in. Had an old friend staying for a while. Took the DW Pointman and the Ruger Super Blackhawk out for a drive the other day. Other than that, had me hands full preparing the new building for the Husky rescue. Been under construction for a few weeks now as time allows. Making progress. Roof is on.
IMG_0536.jpeg

I ripped that busted door off the front and went to replace it the other day and realized I bought the wrong door, so will be doing that tomorrow.

Stalls are setup. I have 3 like this.
IMG_0499.jpeg
One is temporarily my tool crib
IMG_0458.jpeg
Isolation stall is done.
IMG_0485.jpeg
IMG_0507.jpeg
Got the isolation stall segregated so it opens directly into the quarantine pen. That's Red in the isolation/quarantine area.
IMG_0506.jpeg
IMG_0508.jpeg
Started replacing some windows. Buying 1 at a time right now as I'm way over budget.
IMG_0478.jpeg
Needs pressure washed and a paint job still.
IMG_0503.jpeg
Continued below…

Last edited:

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Got the pack moved into a new stall.
IMG_0456.jpeg
Nic brought out a noisy ball while we were working. That got the attention of 6 of them.
IMG_0483.jpeg
Spent $2k on a new invisible fence from Sport Dog. It works way better than PetSafe. Thunder and Raven have been habitually escaping and running to a pond a couple miles away. They spent a few months in the quarantine area because of it. That quarantine area is physical fence 1/3 acre in size. The new fence has been tested by Thunder. Judging by the speed at which he returned, he definitely doesn't like the run through detection. All babies except Red are now running free.

Hopefully, this weekend, I can get the additional 2.5 acres wired up and expand the running area to 7.5 acres. I'm not using is for anything anymore. They might as well get to run on it. That extends their length of run to 1/4 mile, and those babies like to run.

Spoke with a firm today about filing the 501(c)(3) paperwork. That ball should be rolling next week.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Been MIA for a while. Thought I'd check in.
Welcome back @philmo11 .
You have been a berry busy boy.

Looking good.

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't believe it's been 8 months… last year was a zoo… figuratively and literally. 6/15/2023 Husky Ranch NFP officially became a 501(c)(3). I had 4 new ones come to stay since July.

Stella, (Baby Girl) 6mo old in this pic. She is just about to turn 1yo. Negligent owner surrender.
IMG_0717.jpeg

Emma and Bear, these two I pulled out of a literal hell. About 16x20 space they were kept in. Dog crap 12 inches deep in some places. Flies had eaten to tops of their ears OFF. 12yo breeding pair that have been together their whole lives.

Miss Emma after 1.5 hours of professional grooming.
IMG_0977.jpeg
Her ears from the day she arrived
IMG_0873.jpeg

Bear, he had 2-3 years of undergrowth that had to be removed.
IMG_0825.jpeg

My favorite picture of this old man, Mr. Bear, just a few minutes after he met our family for the first time. His face says it all. Probably the most love and kindness he's ever known.
IMG_0847.jpeg

Staples I removed from his neck that have been in there for 6 months!
IMG_0904.jpeg

Bear after 4 hours of professional grooming (with 2 of us working on him).
IMG_0980.jpeg

Then there's Belle (I call her Peanut). 12 weeks old. Friend caught wind she was dumped at a lake when the temps hit 18 degrees. He took my truck out there and found her hiding behind a tractor tire.
IMG_2323.jpeg

I know, funniest looking Siberian i ever seen too . She appears to be a Jack Russell. I figured her age base on her 7.2 lbs. She was horribly infested with worms to the likes I have never seen. If I explained what I saw, you'd never believe it. She is healthy now. Been here a month. The guy who brought her here will be her owner when he gets settled.

Last edited:

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a pic of Miss Stella in the front pasture with William about a half hour after she got here. Gives you an idea of how much more we expanded the husky run. This is one side of the driveway in the front yard, Goes out past the end of the tree line, right at 220 yards by 50 yards wide. Where you see the last telephone pole off in the distance.

IMG_0706.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Negligent owner surrender.
she was dumped at a lake when the temps hit 18 degrees.

I have had a few dogs I have paid for, however the most cats & dogs came to us in different ways.
My dogs & cats eat raw! some like the kibble. Even the outside chickens & cats have heat!

The way some Humans treat animals is subhuman & I feel like biting their ears OFF & dumping their worthless assess into an -18 degrees Ocean.
I can't help the way I feel.

1705748357681.png

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have had a few dogs I have paid for, however the most cats & dogs came to us in different ways.
My dogs & cats eat raw! some like the kibble. Even the outside chickens & cats have heat!

The way some Humans treat animals is subhuman & I feel like biting their ears OFF & dumping their worthless assess into an -18 degrees Ocean.

View attachment 34156
I agree with you. A man's character can be determined very well by how he treats animals.

I have 5 cats outside that have access to my barn through a pet door. They have beds in the barn and food and water, of course. The barn is heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. The entire back yard is fenced in by a 6 foot wooden fence and they stay inside of it. They could easily climb over it, but I've never seen one of them even try to.

It's cold today. They are usually out in the yard by now. Not today. LOL

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
As far as Siberians go, they are pretty at home in the cold, provided they have been acclimated to the temp. They will pile up and lay on each other when they sleep. Since we completed the Husky building, we pair them up in 2's and 3's, whoever gets along with the best is who they pair up with.

When the temp dipped below zero (actually -11). Red and Loki had to come in. Red in the mid single digits started to shiver, Loki started to at -5. We keep a close eye on them. Shivering, chattering, lips/nose turning blue are all signs the aren't able to regulate their body temp.

Red isn't full blood Siberian. I had a heat pad out there for him but he decided to destroy it when he needed it most. Lucky for him I check every two hours in this temp.

Loki's coat has always been compromised. Must have been an inside dog. Malnutrition didn't help. Last winter, he was inside with me. This year, i worked with him to get his coat back to normal and above zero, he does ok. The others handle the temperature just fine, even the old man and old lady.

The building has power but isn't temp controlled. The wood bedding is 5 inches thick, protects them from the floor and the building shields the wind. We close it up at night when it gets brutally cold like recently.

As far as the quarantine fence, they could clear it if they wanted, but no one ever has tried. It's at 5'. When I raised the brothers, the fence got taller as they got older. Now they don't try. Alaska, when he was with us could clear 8ft with ease. The ceiling in the stalls is 10'. We'd stack the hay bales to about 9'. Seen him multiple times jump up on top to get away from Lucky girl when they would play. She's just too big to get all that behind up that high (currently 95lbs).

It's funny because they will get on a dead run and snatch a bird right out of the air but won't jump the fence.

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic

View attachment 34156
It is difficult to maintain my temper at times. I have to rationalize that if they come with me, their hardship is over. If I go to jail, they'll die in a shelter.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

View attachment 34156
Absolutely

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It is difficult to maintain my temper at times. I have to rationalize that if they come with me, their hardship is over. If I go to jail, they'll die in a shelter.
I've never met a human who forgives their tormentor like a cat or dog. Beyond understanding for me.
You are right of course. What good would it do the dogs, if you got jailed for beating a pile of Crap to a pulp? It would feel so good though. :p

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never met a human who forgives their tormentor like a cat or dog. Beyond understanding for me.
You are right of course. What good would it do the dogs, if you got jailed for beating a pile of Crap to a pulp? It would feel so good though. :p
I've always been of the mind that if someone deliberately mistreats an animal, they'd have no qualms about doing the same to a human.

Latest posts