Is it time to start loading 223?

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I just can't decide if I want to start loading 223. I have press, dies, bullets, brass, primers, and I was thinking about picking up a couple pounds of H335 on my next trip to get some supplies. I like the idea, but am I really saving that much money if I can buy the cheap steel cases for 4 of 5 dollars? I know I like the idea of stocking up on the reloading supplies for when the stuff takes another jump in price. Does anyone else think about this besides me, any thougths?

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I've considered reloading 223 for the long range stages only. I can't come up with a way to reload any cheaper than the steel monarch for $0.25/round. Even with picking up brass, it's hard to find anything that cheap.

dennishoddy

I've got several thousands of rounds of .223 of range pick up stuff. Been running it all through the tumbler, and have it ready to load. I bought my powder/bullets/primers before the price increase.
If the current president gets re=elected, its going to get expensive. I'd buy now, and hold on to it.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I just bought 500 rounds of Federal from Sooner State Pawn for $159. That's pretty cheap for American .223.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I know when we go shoot p-dogs we reload everything but that cause cows ain't cheap! we load bullets that come apart when they hit anything, now for this 3-gun stuff I am really thinking that for the LR portion of loading 223 but have been thinking about just buying cheap ammo to blaze thru on the short stuff. I love reloading but damn the time to prep brass, load, then hose cardboard I find myself rethinking. Later,

Kirk

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just going to stock up on supplies and prep my brass for when the time is right.

dennishoddy

TroyDB said:
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm just going to stock up on supplies and prep my brass for when the time is right.

That's pretty much what I do. Run the tumbler one day, deprime another and so on. Right now everything is ready for the final steps.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
With my current supplies, I can reload for about .17 cents per round. That's using 25.5 H335 and Hornady 55 FMJBT. However, I was out on Powder Valley's site and it looks like the 55s have jumped in price a bit. Now about .10 cents a piece.

dennishoddy

I was at our local gun shop awhile back. And managed to pick up 10, 100 round boxes of hornady 55 grain .223 soft points at $10 a box. They were in there on consignment. Probably never get them that cheap again.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
MG's are still around $80/K to your door. Hornady's can be had for around $76/K if you buy the 6,000 round box. Loading the cases a few times can get the cost down to around $150-170/K. Just have to put the time in.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Hornady's can be had for around $76/K if you buy the 6,000 round box. Loading the cases a few times can get the cost down to around $150-170/K. Just have to put the time in.
My estimate is $155-165 that is with range pickup, primers at $24 per K and Varget with 55 gr hornady
I just bought the 6000 rd box, wow that is a lot of bullets. I have been wondering if it would just be easier to buy the steel case stuff for hosing. Do to crimps I hand prime everything and have a growing swage pile. I have about 1200 primed cases now I just need to get powder I have the hornady lnl progresive with a case feeder.
My tip is get boat tailed bullets flat bases will work but take an extra second.
I was considering a military surplus powder to cut the cost, but Varget is working for me why change.
I have considered wolf primers will Check with Rusty to see how they are working for him.
I sure do love that shiny Brass :dancing:
Bottom line is do you have the extra time.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
My estimate is $155-165 that is with range pickup, primers at $24 per K and Varget with 55 gr hornady
I just bought the 6000 rd box, wow that is a lot of bullets. I have been wondering if it would just be easier to buy the steel case stuff for hosing. Do to crimps I hand prime everything and have a growing swage pile. I have about 1200 primed cases now I just need to get powder I have the hornady lnl progresive with a case feeder.
My tip is get boat tailed bullets flat bases will work but take an extra second.
I was considering a military surplus powder to cut the cost, but Varget is working for me why change.
I have considered wolf primers will Check with Rusty to see how they are working for him.
I sure do love that shiny Brass :dancing:
Bottom line is do you have the extra time.

What's your load with Varget and a 55 gr bullet? I've considered playing with loading for the long range stages and I've got plenty of Varget sitting around since I don't shoot much/any long range matches any more.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
If the current president gets re=elected, its going to get expensive. I'd buy now, and hold on to it.

Strike if and replace with when. Ammo and components will become scarce only because of the fear-charged mass hoarding people will do as in 2008-09. The wars (started by the Bush administration) were consuming lots of components at that time as well.

Latest posts