Is Guns.com Legit? Has anyone used them?

Turkey

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm trying to avoid any scams or giving out any personal information that I absolutely have to when I'm purchasing my first 1911.

I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first 1911 (super excited!) and stumbled upon guns.com for this big purchase. The prices look good, even with shipping costs, but I'm a bit cautious since it's my first time buying a gun online.

My local gun shop is cool with accepting transfers from legit online sellers, but they've left it up to me to make sure I choose a reputable one. So, I thought, who better to ask than you guys, right?

I'd really appreciate it if you could share your experiences or any advice on dealing with guns.com:

• How did your purchase go? Smooth sailing or some hiccups along the way?
  • Ever needed to contact their customer service? Are they quick to respond and actually helpful? I plan to test this myself today by calling them
  • Any heads-up? I read that guns.com hasn't always been about selling guns online. Does anyone know more about their journey into e-commerce?
Your stories, tips, or any heads-up would be super helpful. I just want to make sure I'm making the right call here and avoid any potential scams or issues.

Thanks a ton in advance for sharing your wisdom! Can't wait to join the 1911 club.

n2spilot

Fanatic
I never purchased a gun from guns.com, but I sold a gun to them. I described the gun, took photos, and listed what came with the gun, such as the original box and paperwork. Guns.com replied with an offer that I accepted. They then sent me a box and shipping label, along with instructions on how to pack the gun and take it to a FedEx Office store. After they received the gun and confirmed it was in the condition I described they sent me a check. If I recall, I think it was about 10 days before I received the check. It did have the option of giving them my bank routing and checking account numbers and I would have received the money much sooner.

Based on my experience selling them a gun, I think they would be a legitimate source to buy one.

Zippit

New Fanatic
I've never used them. As I understand guns.com gets their guns from other shops, not that's a bad thing. It could complicate things if there is an issue with the purchase. Other than that they seem OK.

bbp

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of the new guns are dealers that list their guns for sale on guns.com. Guns.com takes their cut and sends the dealer a shipping label, the buyers info, and the buyers dealers FFL. It's legit, or you could shop at a local shop and let them make the profit.

BlackFoot87

Fanatic
I've never bought anything off of them. Any new guns seem to be overpriced. The few used I've looked at were cheaper on gunbroker.

beaudog

New Fanatic
I've not used them, I think that they are somewhat of a middleman. They may not stock a bunch of guns, but they can get pretty much whatever you want.

PantaRhei

Fanatic
I've bought a couple pistols from them and had no issues. Their cash offers for guns I've considered selling them were abysmal.

I've never bought anything from guns.com, but I've never heard anything bad about them either. The online dealers I have bought guns from with no problems at all are: BudsGunShop.com, GrabAGun.com, LockedLoaded.com and RKGuns.com. Being as this is your first 1911 purchase, you may want to consider buying from your local gun store where you can look at it, handle it and make sure you like it before you buy. If it doesn't feel good in my hand I keep on shopping. Plus, that way if you find one you like you can always hold off buying until you look online for a better price. Just remember, buying online requires having it shipped to an FFL dealer which will incur a transfer fee and shipping charges. If price is your reason for buying online, you need to add all the extra charges you will incur to their price and make sure you won't get it cheaper or close to the same price at your local gun store. I found this to be the case on a gun purchase I made last year. When I added the transfer fee and shipping charges to the price of the gun, it was going to be the same price within just a few cents of my local gun store price. Just my opinion and I hope this helps you. Good luck finding what you want.

Guardian

Fanatic
I've purchased from them several times.
Good prices if you shop, fast shipping, and good comms.

I bought a new 357 Python and a MK 11 Sig from them about 2 years ago, they're good to go and they have Taylor Thorne as spokeswoman from Taran Tactical

Guardian

Fanatic
Should say that they refuse to ship to a small dealer now, ala works from home. They claim that they'll only ship to brick and mortar stores now. The first two I purchased thru them was no issue, the second two would only ship to a GUN STORE, not my FFL.

Red Forman

New Fanatic
I have used guns.com and found them to be a great source for all things guns! I'm a collector of 1911's, revolvers and pistols. I search GunBroker, Guns International daily and have for years. Guns.com is a company that has a warehouse full of guns, you can buy from them and expect to receive a gun exactly as described and photographed.

I've bought several guns on GunBroker and I have a few I got from guns.com

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never used them, but I would, if they had what I wanted @ a good price. I've used Bud's, Gunbuyer. CDNN Sports, Grab a Gun, Gunbroker,, & Sportsman's Outdoor superstore. Sportsman's Outdoor superstore had a new lever action rifle for sale that I wanted that was priced almost $100 less than I found the same used gun for sale on Gunbroker!

ThemanJC

Active Fanatic
I have bought guns from and sold guns to guns.com with no issues. Recently bought a new Dan Wesson Pointman at just under $1,500, about $200 less than I could find a new one at the time. But you have to shop. Many items are higher. They do have some guns you can't find anywhere else, and their certified used program can be a deal

On the selling side, they won't give you a very good price in most cases. But on things like Glocks, I can't sell them locally for more than what they will give me, and their process is hassle free. They make an offer, accept or decline it, they send a label, box it and take it to a UPS Store. Done.

Long story short, they are not always the best deal, but they are reputable.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
When GUNS.com began selling guns and they were soliciting private parties for guns to buy I sent them a couple bid requests on fairly uncommon guns to check out their offer prices and terms. The offers were low beyond ridiculous…….not even in the neighborhood let alone the ball park.

Never considered buying from them, don't really see how they could be any different from Buds or KY Guns or anyone else anywhere if they have the item they purport to be selling in stock and it's an agreeable / agreed to price and terms. I assume you are using a credit card for your online purchase……Protected! Running the whole thing through TWO FFLS…….Protected!!!!

What kind of customer service do you expect to need? Weather you buy from your local ffl, an online seller or an auction site your customer service and warranty will come from the manufacturer (if it is a stock item) or the builder (if it is a semi custom or custom). Our hobby is small and I find that (most) manufacturers or craftsman have pretty exceptional service in this industry.

I don't see any issue

Last edited:

Latest posts