Is a Browning Hi Power a 1911?

gaijin

Active Fanatic
No, not at all.

Trigger is sub par in comparison due to linkage necessary to accommodate the hi-cap mags.
Controls; thumb safety, slide stop are quite similar- but thumb safety's are mushy compared to 1911.
No grip safety, no swinging link barrel link.

My view is; they were in part designed by JMB and are very similar to- but they are not 1911's.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Great conversation starter for sure...

however it's not a 1911. You could say it's a a precursor...but the masterpiece will be and is the 1911.

I wouldn't kick it out of my safe if it wondered in, if that's what you were wondering.

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
Great conversation starter for sure...

however it's not a 1911. You could say it's a a precursor...but the masterpiece will be and is the 1911.

I wouldn't kick it out of my safe if it wondered in, if that's what you were wondering.
How could the HP be a precursor? It came out almost 25 years after the 1911.

And, for the record, no, the HP is NOT a 1911.

Justplanedave

Fanatic
I like potted meat and French fries but I am not Slingblade. The Browning HP is a wonderful pistol used around the world but it is not a 1911, it is more like a Browning 1935.

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
Other than sharing a similarly-principled operating system and the same designer, no, the 1911 and BHP are two distinct, separate and fairly distinct designs, and were originally designed for two different chamberings (.45 ACP versus 9x19mm), and initially commissioned by the militaries of two separate nations (the USA versus the UK). The 1911 continues to have a strong following and practical user base, while the BHP despite being an OK design and having a distinguished service history has become almost completely abandoned for all practical purposes. The BHP's (actual) design shortcomings such as having a magazine safety--exacerbated in the hands of the fictional arrogant sheriff--were the butt of literary criticism in the original novel "Rambo" (which was the basis for the movie, but differed in presentation of details).

Last edited:

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
How could the HP be a precursor? It came out almost 25 years after the 1911.

And, for the record, no, the HP is NOT a 1911.
I think you misread what he was saying. That ... could be (should be!) a comma. I read it as him saying that the 1911 is both the precursor and the masterpiece. I could be wrong...

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The BHP has been the official Armed Forces side arm with many different counties through the years.

It has been used by Special Ops by different countries...

Just sayin, if you want or prefer an all steel pistol in 9MM, they have "been there and done that" so to speak!

I see no better options for that (my opinion) than the BHP!

Hammer

Active Fanatic
JMB never got more than tool room samples done before his death. The same man who finished the design of the GP 1935, went on to design the FAL.. Now that's genius designing designing both of the most widely used weapons of the cold war.
Not Browning level but still impressive.