Introduction to 3 Gun Outline

"this" what else ya got benjamin? I'm betting your phone typing is as good as mine :)

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
alright, if 3 gun is your focus then you must shoot 9mm the ability to store the extra rounds can be key sometimes. If you are new to USPSA, i do not recommend starting with production due to the fact that the reloads can really throw you off and it is a harder division than limited. So if i were you, i would get some TF basepads from Wall for 2 mags on your pistol and shoot at least 3 USPSA matches at limited minor, after 3-6 matches you can then decide to move to production (because by now your skill should be more predictable and therefore you won't miss critical shots that kill your gameplan in production) or then drop some more cash and get a .40 and stick with limited or worse case just keep shooting limited minor. I have seen guys (even happened to me at my first uspsa match with a texas star) shoot their first match with production and even with numerous mags run out!! beside the fact you are so nervous when you start missing, since you only have 10 rounds, everything really goes downhill, opposed to having 19-22 rounds....

shotgun is easy 21 inch M2 send straight to cywrus, no regrets at all..

until then are numerous people that will let you borrow their gear, myself included... regardless whether you have everything or not, be at the next 3gun match at OKCGC 4th sat in july...

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I would concur with Tech and Ben's advice above. One thing I would add is you need to really think about how serious you want to be. It's a tough pill to swallow but one thing you wont hear very often, but everyone should know is that 3 is expensive. Most folks probably don't track their shooting expenses as close as I do, and I only hit a couple 3gun matches per year.

I blinked and dropped $1400 on my rifle, and I'm looking at another $400 worth atm. If you want to go have fun and aren't worried about being competitive then the run what you got mentality is perfectly fine. If you plan on competing at a higher level, then I would play the pay once cry once game. Even if it means saving for a year to get a full tilt race rifle and you bum gear in the interim.

As far as crossover to USPSA pistol goes the g17 with pads will be fine in limited to start. Run a steady pace that gets you A's and you will be fine. At some point if you get serious about USPSA you will want to move to a .40cal either poly or steel. But by then you may be fine in Prod, however starting out I would recommend sticking with Limited and shoot minor.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Difference between an M1 & M2 is mostly in that Comfortech stock. It flexes and reduces felt recoil. M2 also has longer chokes which is supposed to produce better patterns.

M1 is a great gun still. M2 is just a bit better.

45recoil

likes to party
I'm looking into getting 3gun ready probably after Christmas.

Damn you guys...I hang around y'all and now I'm spending more on guns and gears than I do buying food.

I see plasma donating in the near future :))

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
I'm looking into getting 3gun ready probably after Christmas.

Damn you guys...I hang around y'all and now I'm spending more on guns and gears than I do buying food.

I see plasma donating in the near future :lol:

yep, this free forum can get expensive!

eyetat

Fanatic
As the season comes to a close two words ,just do it myself and friends had a blast this summer shooting local matches. A BIG thank you for all the great insight on this site it made doing it much easier.Bob.

J.R. Auwen

New Fanatic
Ok new guy question about equipment for 3 gun what is needed out of each gun? Shot Distances? Round capacity?

Want to start preparing myself for 3 gun and don't want to back track too much. 😎

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok new guy question about equipment for 3 gun what is needed out of each gun? Shot Distances? Round capacity?

Want to start preparing myself for 3 gun and don't want to back track too much. 😎

That is going to vary greatly from match to match. You really need to pick a division you want to shoot in then build from that. I suggest going to a few local matches and asking questions and ask try check out shooters gear. This can be a gear hungry game and it's always best to try before you buy if possible. Also I always suggest trying to shoot a few USPSA pistol only matches to get a good feel for how things flow and what is expected of you as a shooter. If that's not possible show up to a local club 3gun match with what you have and borrow what you need then shoot a few matches before buying much gear.

jtischauser

J.R. Auwen said:

Or local match only shoots to 100 yards, Tulsa only goes to 60 yards. North Texas guys get 500+ Yards out of the rifle. Round count usually maxes out at 30-40 nationally.
Slugs will be 35-100 yards on steel. Shotgun is typically 20-25 rounds but a big match can have 35-40.
Pistol will usually be 50 yards max. 35-40 rounds

jtischauser

J.R. Auwen said:
Awesome so my 300blk will work as long as I stay out of texas😜

It will work if you can afford it. If you buy a new .223 upper you'll save enough $ over the .300 to justify the purchase.

Latest posts