I Think My "Collection" is Mostly Complete.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I got back into handguns 14? years ago, back into 1911's shortly after. I have owned RIA, Remington, WC, and shot a lot of others. So, I have settled on these:
Kimber TLEII in the prophet's caliber
DW PM-C in 38 Superb
Touched by Steve Owens SA RO in the minor prophet's caliber
Custom Colt by Steve Owens, also in the minor prophet's caliber.

Now, I won't lie, I would love to add a Guncrafter and NHC to the stable, but none of them really call to me. I do plan on a WWII classic 1911 one day, just to have a piece of history added to the collection. I have thought about a smaller than Commander sized 1911, but in all honestly, I think the Sig 938 fills that niche, at least for me.

Not saying I would not trade the DW or Kimber for another 1911 in their respective calibers, but I think I am done. At least for now. :)

I want to get back into taking gun classes, and look into improving my shooting. Kinda feel like I have completed a journey. And a fun one it has been, and will be.Four.JPG

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
" I think I am done. At least for now. "
How many times have I , ( or probably anyone on this site ) said that ?

I stopped counting.
I agree. But in all honesty, nothing calls to me now. Maybe a High Power or clone, something in the single action revolver category? I see myself looking more into a carry revolver and speed loaders over another 1911 now. A double barrel shotgun, coach gun.

1911's are an addition, and I have it, but just don't feel a desire for more at this point.

I think I am happy with what I have, and am more likely to spend on ammo and training over more 1911's.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
if you don't already reload, my suggestion is to learn how, start gathering equipment & components, so you load in the future. This will pay off more in the future, than getting more firearms. As components are hard to find & expensive (for now) focus on finding equipment (used is good, & can be a bargain). Buy a good manual (lyman or Hornady, start reading ,to learn the how & why. You'll thank me later, if you do..

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I do some reloading. I would like to learn more of the details, currently my friend develops the loads, and I just operate the press. I plan on setting up my Dillon press in the near future, just don't have room at this time.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like to learn more of the details
Some suggest watching youtube video..they do help. I've found the intro section of the manuals I mentioned do a great job of describing what happens @ evey step on the process, providing not just the "how", but the "why" and what to look for @ each step. The writers give great details on how to make better than factory ammo, IMO

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Some suggest watching youtube video..they do help

I learn a lot off You tube & yes I am an old fart, but I enjoyed the ride starting with Speers #8 as well
as any other manuals I could find. It was an adventure of a lifetime, not all shooters really understood,
To travel with the Big guys in Handloading as they made new discoveries.

Back when we were seeing new powders every now & then so many new bullet designs it was a lot of fun.

I see these old loading manuals for sale on e-bay now & then, so they must be still calling to those who want to control
there ammo & make it better than factory fodder. I'm still on the adventure, it's the coolest hobby I've ever loved.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Simple, clean, awesome View attachment 10962
Everything you need, nothing you don't!
View attachment 10963
Either would be an excellent addition but I kind of do agree with you on that at this point nothing is really calling to me.
Once you build one the way you want it and spend $3500 doing it, nothing on the market will appeal to you anymore....and after a 2 year effort to do it culminating with achieving perfect reliability combined with pure 1911 beauty, the guns on the market just don't grab your attention.

If you're done buying guns, but you love the 1911 like I do, try building one. A little attention to detail and craftsmanship can be very satisfying and fun. Oh yeah, as Bob will understand, it doesn't hurt to be a Tool Maker. Take your time, as I did and make it a long running project. Spread the expense out and don't be impatient. You'll treasure the result.

Be prepared to have an overflowing parts bin on your way to achieving perfection. (real perfection....not Glock perfection). I would be happy to share some of my learning if anyone would be interested in learning from my mistakes. (I made many mistakes.)

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I've actually done that, bought a base gun (not parts) and did all the machining and design work then I worked with Steve Owens to do the final fitting, trigger work and finish. I agree building one had its own rewards and I enjoyed it very much and may do it again one day but I like the stuff I can buy. Like buying a Ferrari or building a hot rod, they both have their benefits but I like to be able to buy the whole package!
This one I gave to my son for his 30th birthday!! That means more than me keeping the gun, I hope it ends up being a long term family heirloom:)
BA79B5D5-7F9F-4931-9E21-F1B0E93E3614.jpeg

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I would love to go to one of the 1911 classes, where you are guided through making your own 1911. But to be honest with you, I can fit a trigger, use a trigger track stone, stuff like that. I honestly don't think I have the skills or aptitude to actually build my own. Well, unless Steve Owens let me camp out in his shop for a month and helped...

I signed up for a first aid class next month, looking into IDPA shooting, some defensive shooting classes... I am thinking about advancing my gun skills vs buying more guns. Not that more guns are bad.

The addiction does have me looking for some nice stag grips, or double diamond checkering with some wood grain.

I bought a set of stag grips for this gun before I got the gun. I will just say they are sub par, and will not live on my custom gun.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I would love to go to one of the 1911 classes, where you are guided through making your own 1911. But to be honest with you, I can fit a trigger, use a trigger track stone, stuff like that. I honestly don't think I have the skills or aptitude to actually build my own. Well, unless Steve Owens let me camp out in his shop for a month and helped...

I signed up for a first aid class next month, looking into IDPA shooting, some defensive shooting classes... I am thinking about advancing my gun skills vs buying more guns. Not that more guns are bad.

The addiction does have me looking for some nice stag grips, or double diamond checkering with some wood grain.

I bought a set of stag grips for this gun before I got the gun. I will just say they are sub par, and will not live on my custom gun.
Take a look at Woodcaliber.com. They make an awesome set of grips that are reasonably priced for what you get. You can choose the wood and specify all of the features with their custom options. At the high end, a set of Desert Ironwood burl with high gloss is just over 200 bucks and their work is gorgeous.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
my little accumulation keeps on changing. Trading is my preferred method. Just traded a friend for my older colt commander, he had purchased from me a few years back. He likes stainless and I had a commander he liked , so done deal just yesterday. It scratches the itch.
I load and have for years, it too helps keep the itch scratched. Taking a build class by an APG member is , without a doubt, the best gun money I ever spent. My only regret is not knowing what I didn't know at the time.
How often I've said " I'm done" only to prove myself untrue. Currently I'm satisfied. I truly "need" nothing, having most platforms covered, but ya never know. Ha
A quick pic of my old / new commander20220124_163532_HDR~2.jpg

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic

You know I understand your thought process. I just watched a classic firearms video about ipok kits and what you should have in a trauma kit. It got me thinking that I haven't updated my first aid training in about 10 years and since I've heard multiple personalities talk about the "Stop the Bleed" course I thought I would look it up and take it, just for a refresher. Well imagine my frustration when the closest one is 99.8 miles away in another state!? I thought we'll I'll try through the Red Cross, nothing listed in my area!!! Then I thought I'll try through the local CERT program….closest one is 50 miles away in another state???!!
WTF? These are national and government websites and there's nothing available in my local area?!!
I will try later today to contact my local FD and LEO to see if they have info on any local training. Trying to stay up to date and it should not be this hard to find classes. Would also like to get training on the LifeVac system and see if they are as good as described.

So yeah, I'm thinking more time and money into this type of stuff for now. May just be more important than ammo (which I have) or firearms (which I have plenty) I even have plenty of emergency rations and the like but could use some more trauma training.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
My buddy says It's a disease, and we probably need a 12 step program. Then we both say yeah right, and laugh our butts off! Always seems to be just one more doesn't it?
Now does each of these 12 steps you speak of involve the acquisition of a firearm to complete them? If so I would like to sign up and get over this addiction! :)

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You know I understand your thought process. I just watched a classic firearms video about ipok kits and what you should have in a trauma kit. It got me thinking that I haven't updated my first aid training in about 10 years and since I've heard multiple personalities talk about the "Stop the Bleed" course I thought I would look it up and take it, just for a refresher

I signed up for a first aid class about a hundred miles away for next month. Supposed to be a 5 hour class, not certified, but the place has good classes, I have been there a few times.

I do some volunteer stuff with a local sheriff department in a very rural parish. Ambulance may be 30 or more mins out, even more if we are WAY out from the main roads. Sometimes, if they are busy, they have to call in the ambulance from a surrounding parish, so push that to 45 mins to an hour. :oops: So, we are pretty much on our own. Supposed to be a guy from the fire department doing a first aid class, but have been waiting for months...

Latest posts