I ordered my first Kuhnhausen book today

Status
Not open for further replies.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I got mine a couple of months ago and it was super useful. I highly recommend them.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Yeah, I suppose I should stop holding out and just build some pistols. There's hardly any way I can avoid it anymore, and I won't feel like I'm holding back. Sometimes commitment wins.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

Be very cafeful about Jerry's blueprints and cross check them to the originals, I have found a few measurement that are off from JMB's proto.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

those you have to get from STI, also you won't see much info on the 80 series pistols, as colt has those.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have other materials for this endeavor, and will be building a .40S&W 1911 when the time comes. I had planned on buying one to shoot in the interim, but my house was obliterated in certain areas on May 29th, and now it needs funding and labor.

Quite frankly, I don't see building one in .45ACP. I don't shoot that cartridge, and there's no reason at all for me to shoot it, unless I want to troll on dipshits by telling them how much one-shot stopping-power I control. And it's kind of disturbing to me that .45ACP guns are still using frame ramps, even though it's established and has always worked when done correctly. The Wilson/Nowlin and Clark/Para ramped barrels are a dramatic improvement, but I hope Clark/Para goes away.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Crap I thought this was about those girls that are always in the news.....

Sorry to hear of the house. Really sucks. FWIW totally agree about "unless I want to troll on dipshits by telling them how much one-shot stopping-power I control"

Best of luck on your build and your home.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

40 years ago the 45 acp may have been a more superior round, but with conventional .40 and 9mm hollow points the trauma damage is pretty close to each other.

As for the ramped barrels, there ok in IMO, but with either you still going to have to work the frame feed ramp area.

And it's kind of disturbing to me that .45ACP guns are still using frame ramps, even though it's established and has always worked when done correctly. The Wilson/Nowlin and Clark/Para ramped barrels are a dramatic improvement, but I hope Clark/Para goes away.

WTF does this mean? If youre not 100% clear on this 1911 stuff, set your default setting to "do not post"

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I apologize that my idea of these designs peed in your coffee. I was talking in metaphysical terms.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

as for metaphysical conversations,

The standard ramp 1911, when proper angle, width, depth and surface finish are present, run very very well. A common misconception is that a ramped barrel is a removal of the frame feed ramp completely, and to assume that is incorrect.

The existing frame ramp preferably (for me) before cutting for the new supported barrel needs to be cut to depth, width and angle, then cut for the supported barrel, and the barrel ramp blended back to match. Keep in mind that to properly feed semi-waddcutter and JHP loads the first round out of the magazine contacts below the barrel ramp.

I also am not a big fan of the square notch para/Clark VIS, but it works well and is reliable, my personal preference is wilson/nowlin.

Not kicking you in the ass, just info, I have all this crap stored in my mind and my wife doesn't want to hear it anymore and you may not either. :scenic:

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Sure. It's just that two interfaces instead of one means twice as many chances to get it wrong. It brings to mind your comment on the Remington R1 with the frame ramp at 31.5 degrees instead of 51 degrees.

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

truth be told I prefer a different angle but that is privileged information. :)

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

which post was that? and are you sure its the angle I prefer or the one I had to use because of bridge width and chamber depth available for case exposure?

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

as stated Mr. Marvel prefers an angle of 28 degrees, that was a direct quote of PM machines quality and his approval of their work.

I stated that I have tried 27.5 thru 31.5, the reason for that again is I have my angle, but its depended on the bridge width, chamber depth and case exposure, while in that range there is not much difference, but I have one that provides the feel and performance I desire.

The width of the bridge, depth of the cut and width of the ramp combine to make that possible.

so again please tell me what are my spec's?

D

DurningDefenseCustoms

accepted and thank you sir.

My apologies for getting a bit worked up there, I was a little rough on you and I should not have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts