Hudson h9 problems

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Made the mistake of buying a hudson h9 as it was recommended to me in the LGS I go to because I like striker fired carry guns and plastic framed ones hurt my hands. they ordered it for me. if it was an in stock item, there would be no thread on it from me as I would have just passed.I felt an obligation to take it

My FIRST impression of the gun when I picked it up was" what a cheap and loose trigger it has" It is loose in every direction and has a long take up before you can finally fire it--that was the omen of things to come

Went home and pe r my usual, field stripped it to lube it. The take down lever is extremely tough to push through the frame to get it into take down position.Had to use a plastic tool to finally force it out of the frame. Lubed the gun then could not reassemble it. Something was blocking the slide from moving backward to its reassembly position(like a sig , it has to be locked back with the slid e lock to get the takedown lever back in place).I t was so frustrating that I contacted Hudson CS for suggestions and help in finding out what was blocking the reassembly. NO response. no one answered the phone,returned my calls or emails and they had time left in the workday
Took quite a while to figure out that the recoil spring/rod moves--a lot. I ended up having to use a tool to help guide it into the slide frame hole it is meant to fit into.. ok the gun was back in working order.

Went to the range--- because of that trigger being all over the place(up ,down,sid e to side) you are lucky to get a nice group shot. If you enjoy having your shots being all over the target instead of grouped--this is the gun for you. It took a lot of concentration and fine manipulation of the trigger to get it to shoot a tight group and you need a ABOVE 12 o'clock hold to get it on target or else it shoots 2-3" low(low bore axis I guess). Still waiting for any signs of CS too.

I am embarrassed to say that(for the first time ever) I really HATE a gun. but I do. I feel taken. They should be ashamed to sell a gun like this for close to a grand. Should have perfected it and improved it well before selling it to us.

buyer beware--rant over

Last edited:

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
That sucks. Joe C. has a Hudson he's been messing with and it sounds like he's liking it pretty well but he has a much different perspective than us mere mortals. Plus, he has the direct number to the owner of Hudson. That probably helps.;)

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I Loved Joes' review of the gun and I agree with many of his points. Consider the source though. He is an expert gunsmith --a master of his craft. I am a gun shooter with zero skills(so far) in repairing and upgrading guns.

I am miffed about the takedown lever and the recoil spring/ guide rod issues + they claim that any mor e stripping of the gun beyond a field strip is NOT to be done BUT thes e geniuses put in a fixed guide rod/ recoil spring..so how is one to change the recoil spring--take it to a gunsmith as they suggest in the manual? What a crock

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree completely. It's a whole different ball game for Joe than for you or me. I've thought about trying one just out of curiosity but it's issues like yours that I've read about that keeps me away. That and the fact that it looks like it has a Taser built into the dust cover. Which would make it incredibly cool, except it doesn't.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone remember Derwoods "grips across America" we need to do the same thing "Hudson H9 across America" for everyone that wants to try one! So as not to waste your money.

Damn good idea if it were only legal and easy:(

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I see these new designs pop up on the market and I'm often intrigued. However, I TRY to avoid buying a new platform for a few years. I don't like beta testing guns for the manufacturers that should have already done that.

Sorry to hear you don't like it and are having problems.

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry to hear of you displeasure with the new gun. I try to avoid new stuff until it's been around for awhile. After a year or so it's either proven, improved or discontinued. Best wishes.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree completely. It's a whole different ball game for Joe than for you or me. I've thought about trying one just out of curiosity but it's issues like yours that I've read about that keeps me away. That and the fact that it looks like it has a Taser built into the dust cover. Which would make it incredibly cool, except it doesn't.

Joe did a great job detailing the gun , how it works, how it shot, how he upgraded it and his plans to make it better. Again I agree with Joe about a lot of his findings.

MY report is from the shooter stand point and I bought a brand new gun( I believe Joe said he obtained his from someone in a deal)
I liked the grip, I had zero issue s with recoil. The weight of the gun is nice. I like the front sight although I wish they had made the gun poa =poi, I have shot Sigs and HK guns that require muzzle aiming( 12 o'clock hold). that is just one issue I found

it is the combination of several issues and lack of cs that turned me on this weapon.

If I had any contact with their cs and they helpe d me, I would not have opened this thread.

No cs, issues before even shooting, obvious(even to me) deficiencies in the gun... :confused:

Last edited:

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
BoatDoc

Might I suggest you reach out to JoeC,.....he may be able to help with your issues.

Bender,

Per usual Joe Chambers steppe d up to the plate--but NOT Hudson. Joe is my kind of guy. He is a stand up, straight up honest ,hard working guy who happens to be a master of working on and building guns. Hi s knowledge base is vast and he is very patient with us know nothings-- he explains things in a way that just makes sense. Joe was not phased by anything I told him. BUT Joe can go into a shop and make the gun run better and fix the issue s I have( except for the shooting low). thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
BoatDoc.......I hope you get it sorted out or are able to come to a satisfactory result. It does really suck when you are having issues and can't get any customer service help.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Bender,

Per usual Joe Chambers steppe d up to the plate--but NOT Hudson. Joe is my kind of guy. He is a stand up, straight up honest ,hard working guy who happens to be a master of working on and building guns. Hi s knowledge base is vast and he is very patient with us know nothings-- he explains things in a way to just makes sense. Joe was not phased by anything I told him. BUT Joe can go into a shop and make the gun run better and fix the issue s I have( except for the shooting low). thanks for the suggestion.
The first gen H9s have a reputation for shooting low. Apparently a design flaw, or just wrong sights. The next gens are alloy frames and also supposedly corrected the low POI issue with sights.

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
The first gen H9s have a reputation for shooting low. Apparently a design flaw, or just wrong sights. The next gens are alloy frames and also supposedly corrected the low POI issue with sights.
Using retail customers for R&D is not the way to earn a good reputation. Especially if you're not willing to help them overcome any design/manufacturing flaws.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Using retail customers for R&D is not the way to earn a good reputation. Especially if you're not willing to help them overcome any design/manufacturing flaws.
BINGO @WC145 --that is my point of view too. it was not ready for prime time and they did not seem to care. still no CS emails or calls.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic

good to hear--too late for me though

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
I know the feeling on getting a gun that isn't right and then getting zero customer service. I have one that would often do 3 point jams, went full auto several times and the front sight fell out. I was very fortunate that someone volunteered to fix it for me. The maker never owned up to any of it, wouldn't even speak to me on the phone or address the full auto issue. After throwing a bunch of money at it, it now runs as expected and no more full auto.
Best wishes on yours.

Latest posts