Household Chemicals

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
What are good household chemicals to have around? I'll start the list: salt, baking soda, rubbing alcohol, bleach, ammonia, peroxide.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
That's an interesting list of chemicals bigfutz. What government list are you trying to get on?
Maybe a "clean" list? I see what you mean, in retrospect. What if I add brake cleaner?

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
Can I be a little needy? Before this list gets too long, when listing important SHTF household chemicals, could everyone post a brief explanation of unconventional (beyond the obvious) uses for each item for those of us who never got that chemistry set for Christmas? Sure would be helpful to me to learn something I didn't know before. Thanks for considering this....

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
Bleach - Clean, disinfecting, water purification, germ proof veggies. The really good is if you are under attack you can make a weapon by adding dish soap. DO NOT TEST THIS!!!

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know if these are really classified as chemicals....but, I know I am chemically dependant on...Coffee, and Sugar....

A lot of people don't think about these...but, they are both great barter tools...

I know sometimes I have said "I would kill for a great cup of Coffee"....

Hope this doesn't put me on a list...

Steve

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
fordnut said:
I know sometimes I have said "I would kill for a great cup of Coffee"....

Good coffee and smokes will be high on my list of the things I'll miss most (another good thread in this same section) and neither store very well for long periods (I've researched it, to my dismay and disappointment). May be better for my health in the long run, assuming I survive withdrawal. Chemical dependency indeed!

Now, we return you to the regularly scheduled program, already in progress....

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Speaking of coffee, I will let you - my friends - in on a little secret. There are these stores around called Deal Mart. They have unlabeled mylar restaurant packs of (Sara Lee?) coffee for $2.50/lb. And it is excellent! Now they better not be sold out the next time I go, or I will know who to blame.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Iodine - Antiseptic, and in a nuclear emergency you can add a small amount to drinking water. The healthy iodine will collect in your thyroid and prevent radioactive iodine from getting in there.

5.25%Sodium Hypochlorite Bleach) - As a water purification additive and a disinfectant: Add ?tsp to a full teaspoon per gallon depending on water clarity. Get unscented, 100%, no additive bleach.

Pine Sol - Disinfectant and deodorizer - Your crap will stink after a few days/weeks/months and be unsanitary. This will help.

Witch Hazel - Astringent - used externally on sores, bruises, and swelling, Soothe and reduce external hemorrhoids, reduces itching and relieves swelling of poison ivy / oak.

Rubbing alcohol - clean and sterilize wounds, sterilize instruments, and can even be used as an insecticide.

Liquid Soaps - Disinfecting and cleaning.

Latest posts