Holosun 507C-X2 with ACSS® Vulcan® Reticle

SonofaHOG

New Fanatic
A few weeks ago put a Holosun 507C-X2 with the ACSS Vulcan Reticle (Chevron) on my EDC Gun. I live in Comifornia, and carry a Glock 17. I know there are a million opinions on what to carry, but really the purpose of this post is more about the red dot. I'm left eye dominant, and right handed. The issue I have had with some other red dot optics is that picking up the red dot is a little bit of a challenge unless the red dot has a larger dot. But I don't really like the large red dot from an accuracy point of view.

The chevron gives me the best of both worlds. While the overall chevron is large, the aiming point is fine enough to make very accurate shots. I have been a member here for a few years and really enjoy the community. (I know this user is new, but I needed to create a new one for some privacy reasons). I figured I would share about my great experience with the red dot, just in case it is beneficial to anyone else.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
A few weeks ago put a Holosun 507C-X2 with the ACSS Vulcan Reticle (Chevron) on my EDC Gun. I live in Comifornia, and carry a Glock 17. I know there are a million opinions on what to carry, but really the purpose of this post is more about the red dot. I'm left eye dominant, and right handed. The issue I have had with some other red dot optics is that picking up the red dot is a little bit of a challenge unless the red dot has a larger dot. But I don't really like the large red dot from an accuracy point of view.

The chevron gives me the best of both worlds. While the overall chevron is large, the aiming point is fine enough to make very accurate shots. I have been a member here for a few years and really enjoy the community. (I know this user is new, but I needed to create a new one for some privacy reasons). I figured I would share about my great experience with the red dot, just in case it is beneficial to anyone else.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it, lots of great folks here. From West Mi.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I have started using the holosun vs the trijicon rmr. I am also now days using the green color.
relative to picking up the dot, you do not mention if you have co-witness. You do not want the MOS setup because it places the optic too high. The slide should be milled for the specific optic and it will sit a little lower. Use the iron sights to find the dot. Co-witness shown. I think the below optic is sitting a little too high, but the principle of how the iron suppressor sights are set up is clear.
1681572716145.png
1681572817569.png

I am using dot or the big circle with little dot inside.

1681572320188.png

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
PS I am carrying a G19, but plan to switch to a G26 for CCW and about my place I am setting up a G17, all with holosuns. I may convert the G17 to a G22 configuration since I have black bears about that the the 40 may be better for than a 9mm for SD against a black bear.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Welcome to the forum from Eastern NC.

Good information. Thanks for sharing it.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Dot circle is my choice as well. If I lose the dot, the circle is usually on the edge telling me where to recover the dot.
If I have only a dot and that is how these first were, you set it up for co-witness with the iron sights. Also if the optic quits working, you can still use the back up sights.

dennishoddy

If I have only a dot and that is how these first were, you set it up for co-witness with the iron sights. Also if the optic quits working, you can still use the back up sights.
I have most of mine co-witnessed, some have different dots on them that won't because of height, which is why the dot circle is important to me.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I have most of mine co-witnessed, some have different dots on them that won't because of height, which is why the dot circle is important to me.
It depends on the gun and installation and gun in question. For the glock mine are milled specific for the RMR foot print that accepts the holosun that I use. And what are call suppressor sights are also installed, but I use gen 3: 26, 19, and 17. For other guns milling is often not possible. The MOS glock thingy mount the optics too high in my opinion.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

It depends on the gun and installation and gun in question. For the glock mine are mill specific for the RMR foot that accepts the holosun that I use. And what are call suppressor sights are also installed, but I use gen 3: 26, 19, and 17. For other guns milling is often not possible. The MOS glock thingy mount the optics too high in my opinion.
I have only one glock, and it's a safe queen. My 1911's are the pistol of choice.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I have only one glock, and it's a safe queen. My 1911's are the pistol of choice.
My 1911's these days are safe queens. But if I can find one in 9mm that is the size of a glock 26 I might go back to the 1911 design. I do have a burris fast fire on a kimber targets, but that is intended for nra bullseye shooting. The 1911 eleven can be set up with a superior to trigger to a edit glock and 1911 is safer to carry cocked with the safety on.

Last edited:

DubbleURX

Fanatic
Recently went optic on my carry gun, too (it's my first optic on a handgun), on a Bul Armory SAS II UL 3.25". I went with the HS507K-X2-ACSS. This optic doesn't have the chevron, but a 3 MOA dot.

I lose the rear irons when using an optic on this handgun, though. The optic has a built-in rear sight bracket, but I haven't yet tried using it. The con is that if the rear optics happens to fall off, I lose both the optic as well as rear irons, which is bad during an SD situation (I'd probably be point-shooting anyways). Most small compact, sub-compact, and micro-compact handguns are not configured for rear irons when using an optic. Bigger handguns typically don't have configuration issues of that sort.

I wish the 507K-X2-ACSS had the solar technology - sadly, it does not. I almost opted for the Holosun EPS Carry, since it has the closed emitter, but that optic is $100 more...not cheap at all.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Recently went optic on my carry gun, too (it's my first optic on a handgun), on a Bul Armory SAS II UL 3.25". I went with the HS507K-X2-ACSS. This optic doesn't have the chevron, but a 3 MOA dot.

I lose the rear irons when using an optic on this handgun, though. The optic has a built-in rear sight bracket, but I haven't yet tried using it. The con is that if the rear optics happens to fall off, I lose both the optic as well as rear irons, which is bad during an SD situation (I'd probably be point-shooting anyways). Most small compact, sub-compact, and micro-compact handguns are not configured for rear irons when using an optic. Bigger handguns typically don't have configuration issues of that sort.

I wish the 507K-X2-ACSS had the solar technology - sadly, it does not. I almost opted for the Holosun EPS Carry, since it has the closed emitter, but that optic is $100 more...not cheap at all.
On the glock I replace the OEM ht iron sights for higher ones that are visible. And many gunfights do not required the precision of sights and at night most sights are not so useful anyway.

DubbleURX

Fanatic
On the glock I replace the OEM ht iron sights for higher ones that are visible.
Was talking more of smaller optics-ready handguns that lose the rear irons when installing an optic.

And many gunfights do not required the precision of sights and at night most sights are not so useful anyway.

Yes, that's why I said, "I'd probably be point-shooting anyways".

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Was talking more of smaller optics-ready handguns that lose the rear irons when installing an optic.

Yes, that's why I said, "I'd probably be point-shooting anyways".
On a combat gun if aiming is consider as important, iron sights are first since optics can fail. can be difficult to get an optic optic on the very small guns. My smallest with an optic is a G26.

DubbleURX

Fanatic
On a combat gun if aiming is consider as important, iron sights are first since optics can fail.
You're really not going to be spending crucial time trying to get front and rear irons lined up when someone is coming at you when they were already close, which is why I mentioned point shooting in the first place.

Also, irons DO fail. I had an iron front sight fall off a 1911 that I was carrying a few months ago - either a front or rear iron can become loose and fall off. In those cases, knowing how to point shoot becomes key, especially during a self defense situation. Nothing man-made is infallible...any sight system can fail.

can be difficult to get an optic optic on the very small guns. My smallest with an optic is a G26.

Most modern handguns have optics-ready versions of the models they sell. Maybe 5-10 years ago, it was difficult to find optics-ready micro-compacts...that's certainly not the case now.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
You're really not going to be spending crucial time trying to get front and rear irons lined up when someone is coming at you when they were already close, which is why I mentioned point shooting in the first place.

Also, irons DO fail. I had an iron front sight fall off a 1911 that I was carrying a few months ago - either a front or rear iron can become loose and fall off. In those cases, knowing how to point shoot becomes key, especially during a self defense situation. Nothing man-made is infallible...any sight system can fail.

Most modern handguns have optics-ready versions of the models they sell. Maybe 5-10 years ago, it was difficult to find optics-ready micro-compacts...that's certainly not the case now.
LOL Nothing is perfect for sure.
But if you properly install irons vs you properly install an electronic sight both will will not physically be going anywhere. But electronics are one more part of the equation that can go wrong.
The type of aiming that one does should be dependent on the specific scenario. There are times when a precision is needed and other times the timing and needed precision and could be no aiming if it is contact shooting. The most apt to survive are skilled in all needed skills.