Help me understand this...

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been talking to Wilson about building me a 1911, or buying one of their in stock guns. I just asked if they would swap the medium trigger to a long trigger on an in stock gun. They said they wouldn't do that on an in stock gun. They would have to ship it to me first as is, and I would have to ship it back for that.

I am sure there is a valid reason for this. I just can't imagine what it might be.

Any help?

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been talking to Wilson about building me a 1911, or buying one of their in stock guns. I just asked if they would swap the medium trigger to a long trigger on an in stock gun. They said they wouldn't do that on an in stock gun. They would have to ship it to me first as is, and I would have to ship it back for that.

I am sure there is a valid reason for this. I just can't imagine what it might be.

Any help?
That seems pretty stupid to me, as well. Hopefully someone can set me straight as to the why.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
That seems pretty stupid to me, as well. Hopefully someone can set me straight as to the why.
I also had somewhat of a "clear as mud discussion" with the same customer service rep yesterday over them installing non-Wilson sights on a build. I just needed him to say the words "Our front sight cuts are proprietary". I had to figure it out on my own with the help of a friend who owns multiple Wilsons. They kept giving me the dimensions, and I kept asking "Novak cuts, right?".

I realize there was some failing on my own to recognize the dimensions as "Not Novak" for the front ...
The conversation was somewhat like pulling teeth.

Last edited:

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe there is a reason for this but it sounds like Bill has been hanging out with Les. IMO the semi/custom 1911 market is a niche one. CS is what separates the meh from the greats. I don't have a Wilson but I want one. I wouldn't want to deal with a CS rep that was difficult. I love my Baer, but I haven't had to talk to the CS at Baer.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe there is a reason for this but it sounds like Bill has been hanging out with Les. IMO the semi/custom 1911 market is a niche one. CS is what separates the meh from the greats. I don't have a Wilson but I want one. I wouldn't want to deal with a CS rep that was difficult. I love my Baer, but I haven't had to talk to the CS at Baer.

I had a harder time talking with Ed Brown than I did Les Baer. Often it is about the approach and a carefully selection of words. Customer Service reps as well as business owners are often put on the defensive by owners demanding them to fix the broken widget. Asking for assistance and help figuring out an issue with the product most often is greeted with enthusiasm.

Smetimes it works, sometimes it simply doesn't.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
call WC CS --ask for Tressa. I am sure she can get it done for you as well. minions cannot break rules... higher ups can. a sale is a sale---or you buy elsewhere
The master dealer @WWB put me onto is going to be able to handle it for me. At this point I think I'm going to order one rather than take the in-stock gun anyway.

I got a feedback request email last night. I try not to post negative feedback and said so in a reply, but also said in the reply email that I was frustrated at how my two questions were handled, one being about just swapping the trigger on a $3800 gun. I realize there would be some fitting. The individual I had been dealing with asked why I was frustrated based on his answers. I told him that to just say "We don't do that" on a fairly simple request on an expensive purchase without some sort of explanation just wasn't a very good answer in my view. Especially when I asked if I would have to immediately ship it back to them right after receipt of the gun to get it installed. To which he replied to my original question, "That is correct." Without offering any explanation.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
That is weird, I can't think of any reason they could not change the trigger. Would be interesting to find out.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
That is weird, I can't think of any reason they could not change the trigger. Would be interesting to find out.

It's simply just not how they want to do things. It's their way or the highway, and they will only do what is on their approved list.

A great product If they offer what you want

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
It's simply just not how they want to do things. It's their way or the highway, and they will only do what is on their approved list.

A great product If they offer what you want
Apparently they will do it. I just needed to ask someone with more juice to do the asking.
That said, I decided against that in-stock pistol, so it's moot.

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
I called them a few years ago about having a gun built. I asked if they could install a patridge front sight blade and the guy I was talking to was lost at that point. He had no idea what a Patridge sight blade was. I eventually ended up with a very nice gun from them through a dealer, although without that front sight.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Apparently they will do it. I just needed to ask someone with more juice to do the asking.
That said, I decided against that in-stock pistol, so it's moot.

Will they install the medium trigger in a "on the shelf" pistol or one that is being built?

Hammond is an outstanding Dealer.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I called them a few years ago about having a gun built. I asked if they could install a patridge front sight blade and the guy I was talking to was lost at that point. He had no idea what a Patridge sight blade was. I eventually ended up with a very nice gun from them through a dealer, although without that front sight.

Wilson lost me when they decided that machining ball cuts after the barrel was fitted didn't fit into their build plan. Nothing worse than ball cuts that don't align and a shop that doesn't care enough to machine them to align.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
I want a Wilson someday, but maybe not, it would never have ball cuts. Theirs are disgusting. A shame to the brand. While I'm not thinking too hard on it, what else are they fing up? At least I know Les and his boys are fitting barrels legs by hand...with square files. Why mines in Nebraska.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
While not cut with a square file, Wilson barrels have little to no contact. With the exception of a SG

Latest posts