Help me understand this...

45caldude

Active Fanatic
I'm going to guess at the OP question which I have really no clue or coffee in me to give a correct answer.

Could it be something to do with some manufacturer's log books (legal reasons), Wilson's build sheet or something similar already being entered in? So pistol was built with the following specs and can't be changed because of something like that.

Otherwise I have no clue which is normal:)

However, I feel I can complain a bit now. I've owned SGs from various years and numerous CQBs. Still have some, but why can't they blend the front sight, be consistent on OD bushing fit; it's either loose or looser and those darn ball cuts with all those fancy machines. I do like the xTac pattern though.

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
With the exception of a SG
And then that isn't a guarantee the barrel is fit properly. WC has slipped appreciably, IMHO, in the last 7-8 years. I once owned 15 of their 1911s, now I own 1. Once they started ramping up production, the quality control has never been the same.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
And then that isn't a guarantee the barrel is fit properly. WC has slipped appreciably, IMHO, in the last 7-8 years. I once owned 15 of their 1911s, now I own 1. Once they started ramping up production, the quality control has never been the same.

It's not the 1st time I've heard that.

**I really need to proof read my posts more. Prior to editing, the above looked like the typings of a drunkard in late night chat.

Last edited:

SLAM37

Well-Known Fanatic
OP ... if you are not getting what you need from Wilson, Nighthawk and Guncrafter would be nice options to explore. Not sure of their wait times, but I hear very good things about their CS and you can find equitable price points (CQB to GRP to No-Name).

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
About fifteen years ago Wilson shifted from being a full custom shop to a semi custom shop. It is possible sometimes to cajole Bill into doing something outside their station 1 - 6 assembly line process but that is
largely a thing of the past.

They still build one of the best base gun platforms and their guns are a great place to start building a full custom. Wilson does run aguably the best large semi cutom shop.

Their customer service is outstanding and if you do want them to do beyond (superb) assembly line work they will do it after you have received their finished gun.

Same with sights. They offer their guns as a package (of choices) and after you receive it if you want them changed they will do it and fast.

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
It's not the 1st time I've heard that.

**I really need to proof read my posts more. Prior to editing, the above looked like the typings of a drunkard in late night chat.
PW, is that you? :cool::p

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic
I'd recommend asking for a more senior person or a supervisor.

I just purchased an in-stock WC Tactical Carry a few months ago and wanted different stocks and a gold-dot front sight and they did it with no questions. They did charge the difference in price for the changes but then to my surprise, the other parts were included when I received the pistol.

Also I just had them do a Remington 870 "Steal Deal" just this month. I wanted LPA sights (I provided the sights) and some other special requests. It took a couple of calls, but they did what I wanted no problem at a very reasonable cost and it turned out great!

Short story long, I don't blame you for being frustrated. I'd elevate this issue until you get what you need. Your request is baby food for them!!

On the quality issue - I do not have extensive experience, but I had a Combat Commander Master Grade done by WC in 1997 that I still have. My new Tac Carry is very similar in fit and finish and it shoots just as well as my WC CC. Time will tell how it holds up.

Good luck!

corsokid

Fanatic
Exactly why I'm only doing ground up builds with Steve at Integrity Arms from this point on. No problems of communication and Steve's goals are the same as mine. He is looking to do what you want with the limits to your budget and needs. Factory guns are factory guns.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Chosing a builderis a tough call these days. There are many semi-custom and custom builders available. The more experienced craftsmen have a considerably longer back log to get through. Waiting just might not be a bad thing. Many feel that finding a Smith that you respect and appreciate is a great deal easier with the advent of the internet and the ability to search out reviews. I can buy into the reviews, but only to a certain degree. Some buyers simply don't have the experience with a great deal of brands for me to take them seriously. Then there is other Smith's opinions and build philosophies that one must consider.

In the end, I take the comments of those individuals that I RESPECT and go from there. I only buy from well proven and respected Smiths, if I don't respect the man, I have no use for his product. If a builder is new to the industry, I'll avoid his/her work until they have proven their abilities.

rglassma

Fanatic
I have one Wilson. I didn't buy it new. I received it in a trade for a watch. They have done some things for me that I never figured any gun manufacturer would do. I am very pleased with there service and support. I don't understand what the big deal is. They offer products, you accept what they offer, or do something else. They are not a custom gun builder. They are a semi-custom builder. If I had a problem with what the rep was telling me, I would just ask to speak with their supervisor and escalate the issue. Ask the same thing of Dan Wesson and see what the answer is.

Carl Humphreys

Fanatic
I've been talking to Wilson about building me a 1911, or buying one of their in stock guns. I just asked if they would swap the medium trigger to a long trigger on an in stock gun. They said they wouldn't do that on an in stock gun. They would have to ship it to me first as is, and I would have to ship it back for that.

I am sure there is a valid reason for this. I just can't imagine what it might be.

Any help?

I am sure someone ordered what you want done. Then did not like it. So. now Wilson makes sure you have it in your hands and go though the steps to make sure fault can not be put on Wilson.

Allanrg

Fanatic
This entire thread re: the request to change the trigger on an in stock gun, the need to ship it and return it to have it done, is a waste of all of our time caused by either a lazy customer service rep or blindly stupid policy. It takes years to build a reputation and only a few negligent workers or managers or owners to ruin it.
A year or so ago, I had 7 Wilson's. The blueing wore off on 4 triggers. I was asked to send pictures and the requested to ship the guns and then haled and told I'd have to ship the triggers back and replace the triggers myself. Stainless triggers were returned (at my request as the CSR said they knows the blueing was wearing off using Hoppes no. 9) which happens to be recommended in Bills book.
Last time I'll ever be a Wilson customer.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
The answer that came back to me yesterday is that it would put me in line ahead of others who already had work scheduled. That's fair.

That said, had I been on the other end of the email discussion in Wilson's seat I just would have said that up front when I inquired the first time rather than say, "We don't do that." period.
... and when I asked to confirm that I would have to ship it right back to them, they said, "That's correct."

Even a slightly intuitive customer service rep might infer that what I was asking was not to split the atom, just to swap a trigger, which I fully understand would probably require some fitting.

I was in customer centric roles in my business for 40 years. Communication is king. I was discussing buying $3900 pistol for full freight with one request that was declined with no explanation.

As it is, I bought a NIB CQB from a Wilson dealer for less than full freight. All's well, that ends well.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
A lot of useful information with different subjective opinions concerning Wilson and their CS. I have dealt with them for many years and never experienced any problems. Quick service, great CS and all my guns have performed perfectly (rifles, pistols and shotgun) until my last purchase, a EDC x9. Failure of slide to lock back after the last round fired but will lock back when empty (no rounds fired). Wilson and I are now trying to figure out if it's my grip i.e. right thumb interfering with slide or if the slide may be rubbing. No hesitation on their part to take it back it proves not to be my grip. CS Rep worked with me a while and when we couldn't arrive at a solution gave me the number of a master gunsmith to call, who was also very helpful.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
They are not a custom gun builder. They are a semi-custom builder.

:rolleyes: I asked them to swap a medium trigger for a long trigger in a full sized 1911, which they consider a "standard" part in many of their other full sized 1911's. I wouldn't call that "custom" work.

Anyway, it's moot at this point.

My only question was why did they have to ship it to me first, then me turn around and ship it right back for a trigger swap, for one of their "standard" triggers.

That's all. Their answer is it would be unfair to others in line. I'm okay with that. There would be no discussion here if they had just said that upfront.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
With that explanation, their answer does make sense.
Either way, it seems to have worked out well for you, pics of the new acquisition when it arrives. What grips are you going to run?

Last edited:

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
My .02 cents.

Wilson was a great option 7 or 8 years ago when Baer, Wilson, and Ed Brown were the only option for a semi custom above the level of a Colt or Springfield. With Kimber's marketing budget and people desiring options only available from Wilson, Baer and Brown. Kimber built a huge empire. Now there are way to many options available to the consumer to deal with the poor quality, bad customer service.

With guys like Chambers starting pistols at $4k and GI and NightHawk turning out beautiful pistols below that price point Wilson has lost their footing in the semi custom market.

There was or possibly still is a great thread detailing an older Super Grade to a newer one. It was very eye opening to see how far the quality had dropped.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
With that explanation, their answer does make sense.
Either way, it seems to have worked out well for you, pics of the new acquisition when it arrives. What grips are you going to run?
It's supposed to arrive at my FFL today. I'll run the starburst that come on it for now. I've been running VZ Operators, and Operator II's in summer. Very grippy for sweaty hands.

Latest posts