Hello people

PhillipC

Fanatic
Thank you for these links, they are helpful!
If you like the old cars & working on them your gonna love the 1911.
A std.1911 can be taken apart without special tools.

Every time I shoot any 1911 it get's taken down, cleaned & re-lubed.
Over time our lubes became so good that Grease is not needed, nor wanted any longer.
I use TriFlow for lube it's fortified with PTFE & will not trap & keep grits & grime like grease will.

Go to You-tube & find many video's on how to tear down & rebuild the 1911

https://gunnewsdaily.com/1911-disassembly-cleaning-guide/

PhillipC

Fanatic
Hi 1911 fellows, thank you all for your insights and suggestions. I finally pulled the trigger today, 02/02/2022 exercising my 2nd. It's a CA version of Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded Target 9mm

Attachments

• SPI9134LCA_3-16.jpg
    SPI9134LCA_3-16.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 3

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
1st. .I missed your intro when you came to the site, so I'll say "welcome to the site" now.

I've had a fair amount of experience with 1911's , owned more than a few (still do) ..started wit my first around 1980 (?).. a
Colt Gold Cup. Had only 1911's in 45acp for years, a 10mm (Colt Delta Elite was the 1st "non-45") was added around 1990.
Finally around 2010, I tried a 1911 in 9mm , & regretted waiting so long.. Have a few in 9mm now..

Reading that you bought a S/A Loaded Target in 9mm.. I almost cheered.
My 9mm Loaded Target is one of my top 3 favorite 1911s. You made a great choice.

( IMO you dodged a bullet avoiding Kimber ) I know how many have owned them w/o incident, & think they're great,
but I've read too many reports of problems, (a problem isn't the issue) but poor customer service is something I won't tolerate..
I've read too many Kimber owners reporting exactly that experience.

My thought is if Kimber took 1/2 the $ they spend on advertisng and spent it on improving their product quality control , and improved customer service,
they'd have much better reputation for quality.

PhillipC

Fanatic
Thank you, Joe, for your kind greeting and sharing of your 1911 experiences. I totally agree the service is extremely important, especially firearms.

My first firearm was early 1980's in Argentina; it was a Colt 1911 .22 LR, I don't remember the model anymore, but it was extremely expensive back then. I still remember I paid 800 bucks! Anyway, not until the pandemic, did I start shooting again.

Anyway, can you believe for 9mm 1911, there are only three listed on the CA roster? Kimber 5" Target II, Springfield 5" Loaded Target, and 3" EMP. Not sure why two gun stores in my area suggested Kimber, but I'm glad I picked Springfield after some online research.

I drove 5 hrs round trip today to get all the paperwork done; now, I have a ten-day waiting period before picking it up.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" Not sure why two gun stores in my area suggested Kimber.."
My guess would be they have a higher profit margin on Kimbers they sell.

Curious, how'd the prices compare ? Springfield vs Kimber ?... Kimber more expensive ?
as mentioned, I wouldn't think twice, choosing the S/A L.T.

One of my oldest 1911's is a Springfield (45 of course), and I wanted a Loaded Target when I was shopping for my 1st 9mm 1911, couldn't
find one locally, or online..& I searched for some time. I ended up buying a new Rock Island Armory (5") GI model..
whole gun cost less than buying parts to convert a Colt (45acp) I already had, to 9mm.

The RIA functioned well, was pretty accurate ( @ the time, the GI model was the only 9mm 1911 RIA offered.)
but it had the usual GI "shortcomings" (IMO) only fair trigger, sights too small for my aged eyes, & std. Gi controls.
.I like extended slide release, larger grip safety, lighter trigger, etc..

Ended up putting ( almost ) as much $ into the RIA as it cost..and still wasn't to the level of quality of a S/A L.T..
Ended up buying my ( lightly used) S/A from a guy in Georgia, found it on Gunbroker..for about the same $ I'd spent on the RIA.

stores in my area suggested Kimber

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you, Joe, for your kind greeting and sharing of your 1911 experiences. I totally agree the service is extremely important, especially firearms.

My first firearm was early 1980's in Argentina; it was a Colt 1911 .22 LR, I don't remember the model anymore, but it was extremely expensive back then. I still remember I paid 800 bucks! Anyway, not until the pandemic, did I start shooting again.

Anyway, can you believe for 9mm 1911, there are only three listed on the CA roster? Kimber 5" Target II, Springfield 5" Loaded Target, and 3" EMP. Not sure why two gun stores in my area suggested Kimber, but I'm glad I picked Springfield after some online research.

I drove 5 hrs round trip today to get all the paperwork done; now, I have a ten-day waiting period before picking it up.
Wow now that is Dedication! Enjoy that Springfield, you deserve to after everything you've done to be able to get it! Stay safe and please keep us updated.

PhillipC

Fanatic
" Not sure why two gun stores in my area suggested Kimber.."
My guess would be they have a higher profit margin on Kimbers they sell.

Curious, how'd the prices compare ? Springfield vs Kimber ?... Kimber more expensive ?
as mentioned, I wouldn't think twice, choosing the S/A L.T.

One of my oldest 1911's is a Springfield (45 of course), and I wanted a Loaded Target when I was shopping for my 1st 9mm 1911, couldn't
find one locally, or online..& I searched for some time. I ended up buying a new Rock Island Armory (5") GI model..
whole gun cost less than buying parts to convert a Colt (45acp) I already had, to 9mm.

The RIA functioned well, was pretty accurate ( @ the time, the GI model was the only 9mm 1911 RIA offered.)
but it had the usual GI "shortcomings" (IMO) only fair trigger, sights too small for my aged eyes, & std. Gi controls.
.I like extended slide release, larger grip safety, lighter trigger, etc..

Ended up putting ( almost ) as much $ into the RIA as it cost..and still wasn't to the level of quality of a S/A L.T..
Ended up buying my ( lightly used) S/A from a guy in Georgia, found it on Gunbroker..for about the same $ I'd spent on the RIA.
Yes, Kimber is a bit more in my area; more margin is likely the reason they suggested Kimber. RIA would be a good option if I can get it in CA; I learned they are good firearms too. It's nice you got the S/A on Gungbroker.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
The Springer was the better choice than the Kimber. IMHO. I know you'll be glad. I have one and had it Wilsonized. But that's for another thread in the future. MAGA! P.S. There pushing the Kimbers because they can easily stock them in Ca. They have a lot on the roster compared to the other makers. Not in demand like the Springfields. You did good.

Last edited:

PhillipC

Fanatic
The Springer was the better choice than the Kimber. IMHO. I know you'll be glad. I have one and had it Wilsonized. But that's for another thread in the future. MAGA! P.S. There pushing the Kimbers because they can easily stock them in Ca. They have a lot on the roster compared to the other makers. Not in demand like the Springfields. You did g, I'm glad I did; thank you for your insight

I see that makes sense; thank you for your insight. I'm glad I picked S/A

PhillipC

Fanatic
Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
No doubt..Wilson stuff is usually good..and epensive.
I've found Mec-Gar work very well in my 9mm 1911's, @ about 1/2 the price of Wilson mags.
Also had good results from Metalform 9mm 1911 mags.. Both Mec-Gar and Metalform make mags for a lot of manufacturers..
inc. Sroingfield, Colt And others.. Gun magazine warehouse is my latest magazine supplier..(used to use CDNN Sports)

PhillipC

Fanatic
No doubt..Wilson stuff is usually good..and epensive.
I've found Mec-Gar work very well in my 9mm 1911's, @ about 1/2 the price of Wilson mags.
Also had good results from Metalform 9mm 1911 mags.. Both Mec-Gar and Metalform make mags for a lot of manufacturers..
inc. Sroingfield, Colt And others.. Gun magazine warehouse is my latest magazine supplier..(used to use CDNN Sports)
Awesome, I bought Mec-Gar for P226 before; they are good but haven't tried Metalform. Thank you for the tip, this is very helpful.

Latest posts