Head Honcho Emeritus
H&H USPSA - 6:00 PM
2nd Sunday of Every Month

I-40 & Meridian (Facing I-40)
400 South Vermont, Suite 110
Oklahoma City, OK 73108-1034

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
It's addictive - just a fair warning - if you have a wife and kids - be sure to tell them you are going to be spending a lot less time with them. :)

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
what time did the last match get done at??? I enjoy matches but i like to get to bed early on sunday so i can rest up for the week??

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I left by about 9:30 this past Sunday. Of course I didn't stay and help tear down this time - just had to get back to Norman to take care of some things.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I've shot in the match at Heartland Outdoors a few times. How does USPSA differ from that?

I mean I could type it in google and spend an hour reading,,, but hey... That's what you guys are for!

1911pete1

Active Fanatic
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=4.msg39#msg39 date=1284678358]
It's addictive - just a fair warning - if you have a wife and kids - be sure to tell them you are going to be spending a lot less time with them. :)
[/quote]
unless ya get your 13 year old son into it, then you just have to tell you wife, see ya, well be at the range. Then if your clever, you introduce her to the guy who whips up your bullets for ya and blame it all on him (mitchell!)

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
[quote author=zeke1911 link=topic=4.msg677#msg677 date=1285012838]
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=4.msg39#msg39 date=1284678358]
[/quote]
unless ya get your 13 year old son into it, then you just have to tell you wife, see ya, well be at the range. Then if your clever, you introduce her to the guy who whips up your bullets for ya and blame it all on him (mitchell!)
[/quote]

Yea but then that 13 year old son whoops ya - and well he goes to school and tell all his friends - then you get laughed at when you go pick him up from school....

That could cause some ego issues :)

ALTHOUGH that same son made me look like I had never shot before

1911pete1

Active Fanatic
It's all fun and games till the kid gives ya a old fashion butt whoopin, forget the laughing at school, how can ya go back to the range?

GoldenBear

Fanatic
[quote author=Wormydog1724 link=topic=4.msg55#msg55 date=1284690132]
I've shot in the match at Heartland Outdoors a few times. How does USPSA differ from that?

I mean I could type it in google and spend an hour reading,,, but hey... That's what you guys are for!
[/quote]

Scoring. At Heartland, they use IDPA scoring (time plus penalties (divided by 2)); the math is simpler. Then you add everything together for the total match score.

USPSA/IPSC ranks you by Hit Factor (or points per second). Then your Hit Factor for the stage is compared with everybody else and you are assigned a percentage of the available points for the stage. Your stage points are added together for the match total. There are a lot more math steps (computer/calculator type, not the clipboard math type), and it's better explained with a set of scores in front of you.

Functionally, in principal not much. David runs the Heartland match generally using USPSA procedures (which are darn similar to IDPA procedures). Start loaded in holster (or the stage description may tell you differently (ie hands up, gun on table, palms against wall, etc)). Start on signal (usually when the timer goes "beep"). Shoot safely. Shoot paper targets twice (unless the stage description says different). Shoot steel targets (ie pepper poppers) until they fall down. The stage description may require you to engage certain targets from certain locations. If not, you can pick where, how or when you engage each target (ex, steel first, then paper. or paper first, then steel. standing from distant shooting box, or through a port at a closer distance. weak hand only around the left side barrier, or two hands right-handed around the left side of the barrier.). When you are finished, you unload, show a cleared pistol and holster your gun.

H&H has a more established group, and thus more props & stuff, and uses four shooting bays.

Check out some of Jesse's videos. He's got a couple of H&H matches up there. Search YouTube for "H&H USPSA" or "H&H IPSC" and see what comes up.

It's a good time. Bring your gun & gear, bring some ammo (100-150 rds), bring a friend and have some fun. You'll do fine.

http://www.doubletapranch.com/what_bring.html

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I only have one double mag holder. I start with one in the gun and two on my belt. Is that enough? Assuming I don't make up more than a few shots.

GoldenBear

Fanatic
[quote author=Wormydog1724 link=topic=4.msg985#msg985 date=1285202386]
I only have one double mag holder. I start with one in the gun and two on my belt. Is that enough? Assuming I don't make up more than a few shots.[/quote]
Short answer: Yeah, you'll do fine. Slow down and get your hits. ;D If you're that worried about it, you can put another mag in your back pocket.

Long answer: Many new shooters start of in Production (basically, stock out-of-box, with very limited modifications (ie sight replacement, grip stippling)). However, Production guns have a max magazine capacity cap of 10 rounds (plus one loaded in chamber at start) and score as a Minor calibur.

The max round count for stages is 32 rounds, with most stages being between 18 and 24 rounds. Of course, that's 32 hits per stage; miss more = shoot more. I usually bring 150 and go home with 40-60 rounds. .40 S&W is usually a Major calibur (unless shot in Production). A C-zone hit (marginal torso) gets you 3 points in Minor calibur, and 4 points in Major; A-zone hits gets you 5 points in both Major and Minor. Some folks start in Limited to take advantage of magazine capacity and Major scoring. If I've now thoroughly confused you, see Short Answer above. :D

GoldenBear

Fanatic
[quote author=Wormydog1724 link=topic=4.msg33#msg33 date=1284676246]
I need to get into USPSA and IDPA and IPSC. I have way too much free time. [/quote]

Plus too much money. Don't worry, USPSA and IDPA will help you take care of that, too. ;)

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
We start setting up usually around 6:00 - and usually ends by 9:30 or so....not sure of the round count - but its 4 stages - so a max of 120 range

jeffsoward

Founding Member
Yeah, the last couple of times Wall and I have shot it, we averaged about 115 rds each, and we suck so extra shots are the norm.
It's a fun time, and it shouldn't be too hot next weekend in the bays. If it's anything like today was, it'll be great.

I'm gonna give it a go again. Since there's not as much walking and fewer stages, I hope I'll make it through the match.

I just need to find a holster.

SigPig

Founding Member
Just a reminder. You might want to get there a little early say 5:45 or so. It lets you get signed in and make sure you have all your stuff. Also when we start setting up any and all help is appreciated, Dont have to but it gets us shooting quicker. 150 rounds should get you through it just fine.

Latest posts