Gunsmithing Tools

m/v MOJO

Fanatic
OK gentlemen, there's no way you're a 1911 Fanatic without doing a bit of smiffin yourself. I've enjoyed that side of it almost as much as all the other aspects of being an enthusiast. I've picked up skills that have enabled me to do a little work for others from time to time. As an Engineer, I have found that my natural inclination toward attention to detail and problem solving has been honed by doing this work.

So, now for the question. What tools do you have that you find to be invaluable?
You don't say whether you're plan to work only on your own guns or whether you'd also like to work on other peoples guns and maybe make a few bucks for your efforts. What a lot of people don't know is that unless you're just going to be "smiffin" for yourself on your own guns, according to federal law, a person who "…devotes time, attention and labor to engaging in such activity…with the principal objective of livelihood and profit…" is defined as a "Gunsmith", qualifies as a "Dealer" under the definition, and is required to be licensed as "Dealer in Firearms". So, if plan to work on other peoples guns and charge them for your work, the first "tool" you need is an FFL Type 01 license to repair firearms. Unless the person who owns the gun is with you the entire time you're working on their gun (i.e., it technically continuously remains in their possession), you must log the gun into your acquisition/disposition log. When the owner comes to collect their gun you must log it out to them. The next "tool" you need is liability insurance in the even the owner claims something you did caused him or someone else to be injured by the gun you worked on. Beyond that, gunsmithing tools are a lifelong pursuit! There will always be another tool that you don't have but really need (want) to make the job easier, faster, more professional, etc., etc., etc.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You don't say whether you're plan to work only on your own guns or whether you'd also like to work on other peoples guns and maybe make a few bucks for your efforts. What a lot of people don't know is that unless you're just going to be "smiffin" for yourself on your own guns, according to federal law, a person who "…devotes time, attention and labor to engaging in such activity…with the principal objective of livelihood and profit…" is defined as a "Gunsmith", qualifies as a "Dealer" under the definition, and is required to be licensed as "Dealer in Firearms". So, if plan to work on other peoples guns and charge them for your work, the first "tool" you need is an FFL Type 01 license to repair firearms. Unless the person who owns the gun is with you the entire time you're working on their gun (i.e., it technically continuously remains in their possession), you must log the gun into your acquisition/disposition log. When the owner comes to collect their gun you must log it out to them. The next "tool" you need is liability insurance in the even the owner claims something you did caused him or someone else to be injured by the gun you worked on. Beyond that, gunsmithing tools are a lifelong pursuit! There will always be another tool that you don't have but really need (want) to make the job easier, faster, more professional, etc., etc., etc.
I've never made a penny and don't intend to. I work on my own and occasionally help a friend or family member with simple things like replacing a part.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I've never made a penny and don't intend to. I work on my own and occasionally help a friend or family member with simple things like replacing a part.
Most of us fall into that category. Everyone I know who makes $ on gun repair has a license & insurance.
I built NM M1As for our Club teams, with license & Club insurance. I don't build or repair guns for anyone anymore, except
friends & family & they pay for any parts.

Far cry from OP Question about Tools for Gun repair. :confused:

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
????

Magicmanmbsc

Fanatic
A few things I find handy are; a cleaning mat with the layout, a small plastic jewelers hammer, couple of brass punches, bushing wrench & spare rsa, drop of oil& a 1/4 drive screwdriver bits along with a plastic container to soak cleaner also its good for keeping springs from shooting across the room. Also blue or green masking tape 2-3 layers to keep the frame from getting buggered up. Everything will fit in a small tool bag. As an armorer & smith I have a ton of tools I've had to purchase 4 a 1 time use the ones above are what gets the job done 99% of the time.

Also if it's less than a few dollars buy the best quality tools you can afford

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
a trick I remember reading was this.. when removing a spring from a handgun , or fire control group,
if possible do the disassembly inside a plastic bag..that way, if a spring goes flying,it's contained inside the bag.

Sounded like a good idea to me...

PhenomX

Fanatic
I cannot express to you how important good files are. I find a file in my hand most of the time and good ones turn out good work. Bad ones, don't !! A good bench block. Kuhnhausens manuals are a must ! Good vise, good light and a quiet, preferably undisturbed place to work.
OK gentlemen, there's no way you're a 1911 Fanatic without doing a bit of smiffin yourself. I've enjoyed that side of it almost as much as all the other aspects of being an enthusiast. I've picked up skills that have enabled me to do a little work for others from time to time. As an Engineer, I have found that my natural inclination toward attention to detail and problem solving has been honed by doing this work.

So, now for the question. What tools do you have that you find to be invaluable?

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one of the teslong borescopes. I like it. I swear I had some stills and a bid I accidentally downloaded to my phone but cant find them to post. Sorry. The key to it is the focus locking just behind the mirror. It rotates in and out to achieve perfect focus. I also bought an accessory pack of different caliber mirrors so now I van pretty much view all of my bores.
Sorry but for the price it's hard to beat.

Most of my "gunsmith" (which I am not) tools are for revolvers. For whatever reason I'm more comfortable working on a wheelgun than an auto.
Nice!

Latest posts