Gunsmithing Tools

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
OK gentlemen, there's no way you're a 1911 Fanatic without doing a bit of smiffin yourself. I've enjoyed that side of it almost as much as all the other aspects of being an enthusiast. I've picked up skills that have enabled me to do a little work for others from time to time. As an Engineer, I have found that my natural inclination toward attention to detail and problem solving has been honed by doing this work.

So, now for the question. What tools do you have that you find to be invaluable?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Wow CE that's a big question. :)

What do you want to know? Tools for maintaining or repairing, or custom work?
1911 tools like a stone to smooth trigger track is a great tool.
Small good quality hammer & punch set.

1000 & 1500 grit wet & dry black sandpaper a must for polishing surfaces.

Bead blaster & Parkerizing tanks are a great set to have.
The most important tool I own is my brain, tools are the way I express my will.

Knowing how the 1911 works is a must.

Watch these videos Our John Moses Browning was a Genius & the 1911 was just one of his masterpieces ;).

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Training, not to take a back seat to tools.

I couldn't get those videos to load Mike. I have those things you mentioned. I'm curious about specific brands or sets. Is there something in particular that's unique or specialized? Is there a tool you may have made for a specific use? For instance, I made a jig for fitting a .250 radius grip safety that gets to within .002 inch for final fitting. I made it from 4140 steel and hardened it to 60 Rockwell so I can file material away without cutting the jig. It works great for me.

I found out later that Wilson makes a jig. But, mine is better based on the precise fit I can achieve, vs. what I have seen achieved using the Wilson jig.i spent quite a bit of time on that. I'm sure the Wilson jig does not get the effort I put into the one I made.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I couldn't get those videos to load Mike. I have those things you mentioned. I'm curious about specific brands or sets. Is there something in particular that's unique or specialized? Is there a tool you may have made for a specific use? For instance, I made a jig for fitting a .250 radius grip safety that gets to within .002 inch for final fitting. I made it from 4140 steel and hardened it to 60 Rockwell so I can file material away without cutting the jig. It works great for me.

I found out later that Wilson makes a jig. But, mine is better based on the precise fit I can achieve, vs. what I have seen achieved using the Wilson jig.i spent quite a bit of time on that. I'm sure the Wilson jig does not get the effort I put into the one I made.

Odd the Vids won't load :eek: It's the dang gun banners LOL
Yes tools I have made for the job or or to work like a tool that was too expensive, we all have them.
Go on Brownells & they have a lot of $ tools & many guys have them already.

My thought is if you can make a tool it's going to be better, if you know what your doing.

Over at addicts we had a tool Sticky where we could buy, sell or loan tools for Gunsmithing.
I borrowed some special tools on 3 different times from some fellow addicts, we need similar sticky here.

To be honest I have far less tools for the 1911 than for the AR, M1A, AK, dang rifles take a lot of tools.
Working on the 1911 I fit the slide a Caspian 1911 Classic Frame to my 1918 Colt Military slide I used
stones, files, sandpaper, & lapping compound no special tools.

I've done more fitting with sweat & time than machining I do the final fitment by hand.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a tendency to go too tight on things.....it's a lifelong struggle.....toothpaste caps, jar lids, and tiny screws on scope mounts, lol.

Over the past three years I have stockpiled some projects that were waiting on me to spend some time on....scopes to mount....red dot plate on a pistol, etc.

Well....the other day I drug out a few of them to get started.....and found out some thing was screwball with my Wheeler FAT wrench. I'd hit screws again....after torquing already....only to be able to continue going before the wrench would reach it's set "break" point.

I guess I stored it incorrectly some time in the past.

I've got what I hope will be 20 years of good shooting time left....so it made sense to invest in a quality torque wrench set that would handle whatever arose.....be it 4in-lb turret caps or 100in-lb scope ring-to-base.

I think it'll be worth the investment.

tempImageQFTzRd.pngtempImagerM1TEv.png

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have a tendency to go too tight on things.....it's a lifelong struggle.....toothpaste caps, jar lids, and tiny screws on scope mounts, lol.

Over the past three years I have stockpiled some projects that were waiting on me to spend some time on....scopes to mount....red dot plate on a pistol, etc.

Well....the other day I drug out a few of them to get started.....and found out some thing was screwball with my Wheeler FAT wrench. I'd hit screws again....after torquing already....only to be able to continue going before the wrench would reach it's set "break" point.

I've got what I hope will be 20 years of good shooting time left....so it made sense to invest in a quality torque wrench set that would handle whatever arose.....be it 4in-lb turret caps or 100in-lb scope ring-to-base.

View attachment 8124View attachment 8125
Now that is a nice set.

I tend to over tighten everything too. I have 2 adjustable torque drivers made by Wera. One with a range of 2.5 to 11 in. lbs. and one with 11 to 29 in. lbs.

They seem to be all I need, but I would still like to have a set like that.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Now that is a nice set.

I tend to over tighten everything too. I have 2 adjustable torque drivers made by Wera. One with a range of 2.5 to 11 in. lbs. and one with 11 to 29 in. lbs.

They seem to be all I need, but I would still like to have a set like that.

Thanks.

I'm glad to have acquired it. Now.....my goal is to hang onto it. :D

In addition to over tightening things.....I tend to have a problem with tools getting misplaced.

Gonna solve this one easily. Once I finish up arranging things on the reloading bench and build/buy a workbench....there will be a toolbox of some type added. Place to hold guns maintenance stuff, reloading tools, etc.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thanks.

I'm glad to have acquired it. Now.....my goal is to hang onto it. :D

In addition to over tightening things.....I tend to have a problem with tools getting misplaced.

Gonna solve this one easily. Once I finish up arranging things on the reloading bench and build/buy a workbench....there will be a toolbox of some type added. Place to hold guns maintenance stuff, reloading tools, etc.
We seem to have similar issues with tools. A good box has helped me.....as long as I will myself to put tools back in it after use. Sometimes I fall short.

Just noticed our birthdays are only 3 mos. apart.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Give us a review as soon as you get it Dub, I like what I see, & it's ownable by poor smiths as well LOL.

Roger that....I'll update.

I have an old M700 .270Win that Im mighty interested in scoping and seeing the carnage. I hope it's in good shape......but I won't cry if it's not....the action can be re-barreled in something interesting. I've got a buddy who can do it for me.

I just need to see which model to get. I remember them covering it on The Reloading Podcast.....they were really specific on which one to get....and it was one of the less expensive models.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Great convo by all. Really like the borka kit. I have torque wrenches, but nothing like that!

As simple as it sounds, a 10-8 armorers block is an inexpensive tool that I find invaluable. I'm always digging it out for one thing or another. Like working on thumb safety fitting. For me I will use every mechanical advantage to achieve a perfect fit, especially at thumb safety blocking lug / sear interface.

Also really enjoy using the Weigand extractor tools and shims. It makes a trial and error job into one of precise , measurable results. No more "shaking the slide with a round " near enough it'll work.

I don't have any big fancy tools, but sure wish things would've been different in this stage of my life. I don't own a mill or lathe, so its all files and emory clothe. I realize my limitations and do not proclaim my prehistoric methods are near what the pros can achieve.

But at this point, I use what I have

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have traditional Torque wrenches but! Now I'll have one for my range bag 2. Thanks Dub for that tip.

Excellent.

The kit I bought from them had that driver plus some individual limiters for values above & below the range of the driver.

I was originally going to order the kit sold by Nightforce, however discovered Borka through NF and am glad I did. Should be able to cover all my needs.

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one of the teslong borescopes. I like it. I swear I had some stills and a bid I accidentally downloaded to my phone but cant find them to post. Sorry. The key to it is the focus locking just behind the mirror. It rotates in and out to achieve perfect focus. I also bought an accessory pack of different caliber mirrors so now I van pretty much view all of my bores.
Sorry but for the price it's hard to beat.

Most of my "gunsmith" (which I am not) tools are for revolvers. For whatever reason I'm more comfortable working on a wheelgun than an auto.

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic

View attachment 8124View attachment 8125
Great investment... I recently picked up a FixItSticks set for scope mounts, etc. for the exact same reason -- I over tighten as well. I can't tell you how many screws, bolts, etc. I've broken off over the years. No more!!

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic
A couple of tools in addition to the other great posts:
  • Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool: OK -- I know if your careful... But on my higher end 1911s, it just gives me peace of mind and they're cheap! Have them stashed on my bench and gun bags... Idiot Scratch Prevention Tool
  • 10-8 Armorers Tool: Just a good, non-marring tool to lift or align the various 1911 parts -- thumb safety, slide stop, etc. 10-8 Armorers Tool There is a similar tool that has two offset ends I like a little better 00 it has a thinner end to get under the thumb safety easier but can't find it on the internet -- don't tell anyone I'm at work!!
  • 1625676902919.png
  • Brownells 1911 MagNaTip set: Brownells has a 1911 specific MagNaTip set for the 1911. the right size bits plus a mainspring housing pusher bit that's sort of handy...
  • Powers Custom Sear Stoning jig: I won't touch a 1911 sear without this jig. Expensive, but worth every penny...
I have some other items I'm sure you all have as well. I pack a small Expedition Gear pouch with my 1911 tools to take to classes, etc...

Latest posts