Gunpowder prices are rising

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
[h2][/h2]

Found an email announcement in my inbox this a.m. from MidSouth, announcing the recent arrival of Alliant powders.
Don't need any, but decided to look @ the ad.anyway. Prices per 1 # of powder have risen..a lot, it seems.
Prices ranged from $40.00 to $ 60.00, with most of their line in the $50.00+ range.
I was thinking about giving a few new powders a try, but I won't @ those prices..I'll be content using the powders I already have.

While MidSouth has had some great sale prices on powders in the past ( 1 of their sales got me started using Shooter's World line of powders)
their usual powder prices were not higher than other powder sources I've used over the years. On this basis , I must believe their cost
of powder has risen , necessitating an increased price passed on to their customers.
I don't believe that the increased cost is based on inflation alone.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
When I started Reloading powder was 2 & 3 $ a #.
I had my Lee HAND Loader, using a leather hammer for power :oops: I loaded .357 magnums to save $.

If I were starting today I would buy an AR-15 & use surplus ammo. Just what the younger shooters
tell me about what they think of Reloading today. Too bad.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
When I started Reloading powder was 2 & 3 $ a #.
I had my Lee HAND Loader, using a leather hammer for power :oops: I loaded .357 magnums to save $.

If I were starting today I would buy an AR-15 & use surplus ammo. Just what the younger shooters
tell me about what they think of Reloading today. Too bad.
You can't go wrong with reloading. It's an investment in your ability to be able to have ammo in the future. The commies are not having much success destroying the 2nd Amendment, but this could and probably will change at some point.

Since destroying the 2nd Amendment is not going well for now, they have resorted to anything they can dream up to make it difficult or expensive for gun buyers and gun owners. The commies are currently driving ammo and component prices higher by creating fake shortages. It is them making huge purchases of ammo, components, and raw materials. It will only get worse.

By the way, they are working on doing the same with food. Our own government wants to kill as many of us as they can and then fully control those that are left.

The above is not a conspiracy theory. It is fact. Actions have always spoken louder than words, and all one has to do is pay attention to their actions.

Inflation, Covid-19, fake and deadly "vaccines", intubation, Remdisvir.

They literally turned our hospitals into killing centers. Who, in their right mind puts sick people into a nursing home? That act alone was tantamount to 1st degree murder.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

dennishoddy

Everything is getting more expensive thanks to FJB. I'm not concerned about gun powder at this point. I've got more than I will probably use for the rest of my life.
That's about my situation. Was looking in the powder magazine today along with the stored ammo, thinking I'll never have to buy another component for the rest of my life.
I went on a reloading binge awhile back loading thousands of rounds of everything I shoot. The reloading bench isn't going to get much use for a long time unless a new caliber enters the picture.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I stopped into Cabela's earlier this morning (one last little Christmas gift for the wife...) Anyway, while I was in there, I decided to check out the ammo aisles and shelves.

Not as bad as all that COVID nonsense, where everyone totally wigged out, and bought anything and everything they could.
BUT... The shelves were really depleted, but not gone. 9mm, .45 ACP, .223, 12ga, etc... was really looking thin. I wonder if people are buying ammo as Christmas presents? :rolleyes:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I stopped into Cabela's earlier this morning (one last little Christmas gift for the wife...) Anyway, while I was in there, I decided to check out the ammo aisles and shelves.

Not as bad as all that COVID nonsense, where everyone totally wigged out, and bought anything and everything they could.
BUT... The shelves were really depleted, but not gone. 9mm, .45 ACP, .223, 12ga, etc... was really looking thin. I wonder if people are buying ammo as Christmas presents? :rolleyes:
Well I guess we can always hope so. I just bought Hst 9mm for 29.99 a box from AIM. Not bad at all for 50 rd boxes of good ammo.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Dollar cost average!!!!

buy a case of ammo with EVERY paycheck. You won't be sorry.

when I was a "kid" I could barely afford to collect guns but it always seemed more cost effective to buy a second gun than an additional magazine if I needed another magazine. As I grew up, I kept buying guns but I (felt like) I could not afford to shoot them……..and I only shot irregularly.

Every gun I bought was effectively discounted by the retail price of the extra mags.

I started buying a case of ammo out of EVERY SINGLE PAYCHECK…….every second Saturday For thirty plus years…….you do the math. As a result, in My "old age" I can shoot all I want. I have ammo to shoot and share with my kids and grand kids without thinking about cost or going to the store to be offended by the…….."rules"…….and my kids and grand kids WILL HAVE AMMO!!!!!! Lots of it!

In 2000 when crapistan passed their "one a month" unconstitutional gun purchase BS rules I took it as a requirement and I bought at least one or more guns every 31 days…(used guns not included in the one a month restrictions)………for the last 23 years. It adds up to a whole lot of ".gov **** off"

Dollar cost averaging is relatively painless and will remove you from future restrictions and put you in a position to enjoy shooting with your kids and grand kids and arm or offend everyone you ever meet.

NOW that you have a plan…..go forth and aggressively tell .gov to go to hell!

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Fwiw….I consider real estate and ammo to be the best investments I have ever made and as I die my posterity will receive guns and ammo outside of any .gov knowledge, interference or tax theft.

"my dad / grandfather was a crazy person. He bought guns and traded them away for nothing"

teach your children about the constitution and that .gov has no business knowing what you have or collect.

boomer mooner

Well-Known Fanatic
Some powders are going out of sight and some aren't. I reload 28 gauge and one of the powders I love is Alliant 20/28 which has been hard to find. Finally found some locally at almost $60/lb. Just looked now and found it on Midway for $48/lb, which is still expensive as hell and it seems most Alliant powders are really going up. However I can still find Win 572 locally at two different stores in the Richmond Va area for about $35/lb. With two wars going on all I can say is take advantage of the good buys when you find them because there still are some.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Some powders are going out of sight and some aren't. I reload 28 gauge and one of the powders I love is Alliant 20/28 which has been hard to find. Finally found some locally at almost $60/lb. Just looked now and found it on Midway for $48/lb, which is still expensive as hell and it seems most Alliant powders are really going up. However I can still find Win 572 locally at two different stores in the Richmond Va area for about $35/lb. With two wars going on all I can say is take advantage of the good buys when you find them because there still are some.
The government should stop sticking their noses into everybody else's wars and mind their own stinkin' business. We'd all be better off.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Our government started it at the direction of the WEF. Russia stands in their way. Putin is very much a nationalist. A lot of people don't understand how powerful this organization is. China has much influence on them. Klaus Schwab has stated that China's government is the model for the entire world. The reason for their yearly Davos meeting is to be briefed on the next steps of their evil plan. This is also where many of them are compromised through all of the same old methods; sex, money, etc.

There was a report last week that an expensive call girl outfit in Davos was completely booked. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Who do you think the women really work for, besides their customers, of course?

If you want to understand who is behind the evil we see happening, just know the leaders of the WEF, and pay attention to who attends the meetings and who they report to. Of course, the highest ranking members are never seen, such as Beezlebub himself. He and his highest ranking minions are behind the scenes.

The WEF is charged with guiding the implementation of the world government of control that Satan wants in place before he emerges to fool the masses into believing he is their savior, before he turns against them and the killing begins. He will carry many straight to hell with him.

Last edited:

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
In the USA due to unprecedented demand the gun industry is rapidly growing and hodgdon can charge what it wants to. It is cheaper to shoot the more generic rounds such as 22 LR, 9x19, and 5.56 than it is to load them yourself when you consider also the cost of your time.
Center fire hunting calibers, just load what you absolutely needed. If you want to fire a lot of full 30-06 and other full bore and even the magnum rounds, you will have to pay a lot for it.

Pick calibers that do not require huge charges like 300 black out.

Look for deals on the common calibers. I recently got a good deal on Turkish #4 12 for 200 rounds at about $120 delivered. That is a life time supply for that loading for me. Since I have the mold any triple ought shot I need in larger quantities I will load and eat the cost of powder since I have just about everything that is needed.
$84.99 Ammo Flat rate: $20.00 SAR USA - 12 Gauge - #4 Buck Shot - 2.75" - 27 Pellet - 200 × 1
Insurance: $2.34 Discrete Packaging: $0.85
Legal Confirmation for Ammunition Products: $0.00
Tax: $7.35 Payment method: Credit Card Total: $115.53

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
In the USA due to unprecedented demand the gun industry is rapidly growing and hodgdon can charge what it wants to. It is cheaper to shoot the more generic rounds such as 22 LR, 9x19, and 5.56 than it is to load them yourself when you consider also the cost of your time.
Center fire hunting calibers, just load what you absolutely needed. If you want to fire a lot of full 30-06 and other full bore and even the magnum rounds, you will have to pay a lot for it.

Pick calibers that do not require huge charges like 300 black out.

Look for deals on the common calibers. I recently got a good deal on Turkish #4 12 for 200 rounds at about $120 delivered. That is a life time supply for that loading for me. Since I have the mold any triple ought shot I need in larger quantities I will load and eat the cost of powder since I have just about everything that is needed.
You may want to search out & buy surplus powders.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
You may want to search out & buy surplus powders.

10 lbs CSB-1 is $280
8 lbs of tite group is $284.01
One is saving a little bit where you get 2 lbs or 25% more for the same price.

Good to know of other sources.