GUN REVIEWS BY WOMEN FOR WOMEN

Drexellake

Well-Known Fanatic
The next time you can shoot the Glock hike your hand as high as you can on the grip. This lessons the recoil quite a bit.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately that isn't the problem. I can't get the gun to line up with my arm; it tends to skew to the side a bit to compensate for reaching the trigger. I think the girth is just too wide for my hand.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm actually looking at trading/selling it to get a Taurus 709 or Kahr CW9. Any takers? :)

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
Enjay

i didnt see that carbine at shooterzfest.

i want the select fire version.

its just my opinion guys but i wish you would all throw those 380s away. i have no faith in them. i believe a 22 would be better.

one reason is -- try reloading a 380 with a 90 gr. lead bullet. they barely go into the case and start to feel like a round ball.

boy i know this will ruffle feathers but-- i dont think 9mm is much better. maybe i have shot so many 45s that 9 just doesnt cut it. a buddy of mine downloaded some 9mm for his suppressor. at 100 yds you could watch them drop straight down before getting to the target. 3.5 grains instead of 4.5.

i do like the 9mm in the machine gun. and they are cheaper than 45 at the buzzzz.

a Spartanburg City cop had his gun grabbed and had a struggle. the 9mm fired and deflected off of his nylon duty belt.

ok let the screaming begin

Drexellake

Well-Known Fanatic
.380 rounds do in fact kill people. Try some Winchester Supreme Elite or Federal Premium hollow points. More homicides have been committed in the world with .380 than any other round. Who fires one shot?

People have lived after being shot with every round made. Nothing is perfect.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
BERSA BP9CC

DSC_0158.jpg

We bought this off Budsgunshop.com; NIB, and it came with two magazines, one of which did not have the "bersa stamp" on it. When we took the magazines apart to clean them, we noticed one spring was noticeably longer than the other. Unfortunately, we weren't paying attention to which magazine it came out of. Oops. We decided to try them both out and see if there were any issues.

We took the BP9 to the range, and the first day out was a little disappointing. Right out of the box it was jamming every 3-5 rounds. The brass casings kept getting caught rather than extracting cleanly the way they were supposed to, and we had problems with the live rounds jamming in the chamber, and having the slide fail to lock back once it was empty.

About half way through the box we started just loading 4 rounds instead of 8, and it began to shoot cleanly. We?re not sure if it was the magazine, or if it was the oil (Remington) we used to clean the gun. We set the suspected ?bad? magazine aside to mail back to Bersa, and got some new oil (CLP), and thoroughly cleaned the gun.
We went back to the range a few days later, and the BP9 started preforming like a champ, almost. One failure to have the slide lock back and two failure to fires. Not sure if that was an issue of grease or a weak strike on the primer. The first FTF I simply re-seated the round and it fired. The second FTF I re-seated, and *click*. I ejected the round and inspected it, and there was a light strike on the primer, and all around the strike was brown goo. We cleaned the striker channel, and there were no more light strikes.

Aside from these issues, the gun was enjoyable to shoot. The recoil isn?t too snappy, the sights are high and visible, and I haven?t had any issues with the ?finger pinch? some others have had with the trigger. I?ve also heard some BP9 owners say the trigger felt ?gritty? to them; mine felt very smooth.
Being that it is a new gun, perhaps Bersa doesn?t have all the bugs ironed out yet, but once they do, it?s a great single stack 9mm! The first range trip we only shot about 75 rounds, and the second time we shot about 150.

I can?t say for sure if this gun just needed a break in period, or if it was another issue like the magazine or not being perfectly clean. We had Bersa replace the magazine, just to be sure, and took it to the range one more time. Shot probably a hundred rounds without any issue.

The good: it's a great size to conceal, and the grip is perfect for smaller hands. It's a single stack 9mm that has a Glock slide and no external safeties, just like a true Glock.

The bad: The recoil spring felt a little wobbly, and not very tight on the recoil assembly.

Verdict: It's a great gun, but it seems like Bersa might have a few kinks to work out in the next gen or so.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you C_Carson,
That was an excellent write-up. I've been anticipating your review of that pistol. I like my Bersas but understand, with any new item, the real world will bring any weaknesses to light. I may look at that pistol again after they have time to work out the bugs. It sounds promising.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
KIMBER ULTRA CARRY II 9MM

DSC_0194.jpg

We took this little beauty to the range yesterday, and ohmygosh y'all.

I've heard so many people claim that the 1911 platform should only be in the traditional .45 acp, but this gun in 9mm is so much fun to shoot that I bet it would convert even the most die-hard traditionalist. I was a little worried at first that the 3" barrel would make it painful to shoot, but it wasn't, at all. I was also concerned about the grips, but they're the slim rubber, and very comfortable. Definitely still want to try the Hogue wrap around grips, but straight out of the box, this gun is pretty awesome.

It's also incredibly accurate! With almost every gun I've ever shot, I've had issues of shooting low and to the left (whether that's the gun, me, or both, I don't know) but I had zero accuracy issues with this 1911. It's a little tack driver, and super sweet to shoot!

The only issue I did have, was failure to extract the empty casings. Hubby says it was because I was 'limp wristing' it; but I recorded myself shooting, and I wasn't doing it that badly. He shot about 50 rounds without issue, I shot 100, sometimes with issue and sometimes without. Guess I need to learn some techniques to help with that. If anyone has any suggestions, please share!

Here's a video of me shooting it, without any FTE's

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRw7osS1cjA[/youtube]

It's a great size for concealment, and a perfect fit for smaller hands, but also comfortable for larger hands too. There isn't a bad thing I can think of to say about this gun.

I absolutely love this gun, and it's definitely staying in our collection for a long time! Hubby keeps trying to "steal" it away from me, but I keep telling him it ain't gonna happen, haha!

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I am so glad you like it...Really...I knew you would...I wish you could shoot my .45...You would love it, alswo...

mAYBE i MISSED IT, BUT, DID YOU BUY THE GUN NEW??? If it is new...it may need more rounds thru it. Kimber likes you to have at least 500 rounds thru it before you worry about small problems.

You may have to tune the extractor slightly... not a big deal...

Don't let your husband steal it from you...LOL

Steve

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Dave; thanks!

Steve, yup, it's new. I figured 150 rounds probably wasn't enough to break it in, but it makes me glad to hear you say that. Means more range time, haha! Hubs is definitely not getting his hands on this baby ;) Even though he did take me to Luthi's today and bought me the Hogue grips and an extra magazine.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
hey CC,

i tried to tell Grace that or the Springfield EMP was what she needed. if we can meet up again id like to shoot , i mean id like for her to shoot it. she has trouble racking most autos. she loves her P-22 though.

first colt 45 i bought was an Officers model. im carrying it these days. it was beautiful satin nickel but i put it in a gun rug in the safe and it hurt the finish. some of it just looks dirty. it may be brought back by a little bead blast but id ask someone before doing that.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
David, we're hoping to go to the range again this weekend and get it broken in some more. When we were in Luthi's yesterday I ended up chatting with an older woman purchasing the Beretta Tomcat, and we got to talking about how she felt most women had problems racking slides on the semi-autos. I think it depends on technique, and the gun. I could barely rack my Sig p250, but this gun is soooo much easier to rack, thanks to the tolerances of the recoil spring. It's smooth as butter!

That makes me sad to hear about your Colt. Talk to Bob at Upstate Armory Group; he might be able to fix it up. Then you can bring it to Shootzenfest :D

Dredwolf

Fanatic
This is a wonderful idea!

I am going to see if I can coax my wife into a "Woman's review" of her "Lefty"(ambi) M&P compact in 9mm, and the new Ruger SR22 pistol I bought recently that keeps disappearing to her side of the bed or getting "accidentally" put into into her range bag.

I will say this about the little SR22...the fact your can change the palm swells makes it great for me, and her. Great way to plink and save, and it feeds even the $1.98/box ammo. I have a close friend whose wife had a double lung transplant, and is recovering her strength. She was having some trouble with her little Keltec, being able to manipulate the controls, but REALLY liked the SR22.

I will try to coax a real "woman's review" out of my wife on the two.

Dredwolf

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
That would be great! We'd love to have more women contribute their thoughts and experiences!

Latest posts