GUN REVIEWS BY WOMEN FOR WOMEN

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic

This is my 1950's era International Harvester M1 Garand. It's chambered for 30-06, it takes a 8 round clip.
I have to be honest here and admit that I bought this one simply because I wanted to have it and I don't currently have a job for it. I have always wanted a Garand, my mom had one that she won in a sharp shooter competition in the 40's, loved it, and I wanted one too.
I have fired this rifle a few times and it kicks like a mule. It's too powerful for home defense, it's a bit heavy for edc and I'm pretty sure I couldn't conceal it but if you can more power to you. I would say that it's great for long range targets and I hear it'll take down large game pretty easy.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic

This is my very favorite weapon. My Iver Johnson 1980's era M1 Carbine. It fires .30 cal and I've seen 5, 10 and 30 round magazines for it.
It's really nothing special but it was my first gun and you won't see me parting with it any time soon.

Issues:
It came to me with a synthetic stock on it that did not fit and caused no end of issues. The previous owner was so frustrated with it he practically gave it away. We had it in to the shop twice to try and fit the stock better but the synthetic stock material was too thin to carve out enough for a good fit. They found a new wood one for us that was unfinished and I sanded it, stained it, fitted it, sanded some more, scraped it, hand rubbed on several layers of tung oil, fitted it some more, and thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Even with the cruddy stock it was a great rifle to learn on, it's not intimidating and with a large capacity magazine you don't have to reload just when you're getting your bearings. Now that it functions properly it's a joy to fire, and having finished and fitted the stock myself I know the gun inside out and backwards.
It's very comfortable to fire, with some recoil but nothing that will knock you down or pound you apart. It's not heavy and it's accurate, although I'm getting older and less accurate with the iron sites so I'm thinking about putting a scope on it this year. It's still popular as a marksmanship weapon. I've spoken to the DNR about hunting with the carbine and they said that it's powerful enough to take down the deer in this area, although they recommended that you keep it under 100 yards (and said 50-75 is better) and use a hotter round with a hollow point. I highly recommend the M1 Carbine as a good, versatile rifle.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, you did a fine job on that stock Enjay! :ugeek:

Always wanted an M1 carbine, probably why I loved the Ruger 10/22 since it looks very similar. My wife would like the M1 or a 10/22 I'm sure. She's a member here now, got to get her onboard to post!!!

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Midnight Raver. I have to admit it that I'm quite pleased with it. I think you'd really like a carbine, just don't ask your wife to finish the stock because that's how my husband lost his new rifle... :lol:

That's about it for my personal collection. Hope it's helpful, even though it didn't contribute much to the questions already asked.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Enjay said:
That's about it for my personal collection. Hope it's helpful, even though it didn't contribute much to the questions already asked.

Didn't contribute???

Hmm, let's see.. the thread is entitled:

GUN REVIEWS BY WOMEN FOR WOMEN

You wrote about your M1 and M1 carbine- I think it is safe to say...

Mission Accomplished!

:mrgreen:

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
actually, I wrote about my garand, carbine, shotgun, walther, xd, and my husband's glock (the rest are on page two lol) so I guess I did contribute.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey...You do a great job of writing and testing your weapons...

I need you to do some write-ups on some of my guns. I could never do such a great job as you do...

I wish you had more guns so you could do more write-ups...

Thanks for the time and work that went into all of them...

Steve

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
Underdude said:
thebrasilian said:
The black pistol in my sig is a ported Taurus 609 357 mag. She loves it and carries it. We looked at all the lite weights when we were searching for her's. She didn't like them. They stung her hand to much. But, the 609 being all steel and ported, it does not sting. We rented a bunch of guns for her to try and this was the best fit. Let me know if you want an up close picture.

Is that your entire inventory or your go-to guns?
When I was living in NC, the country folk (and family as well) ragged on me about having hi-cap pistols, my Mini-14, and (at that time) and 18 inch bbl shotgun.

No, I have others. A buddy of mine is having the same issues with his girlfriend. She and her family are hunters and love guns. They just hate all the tactical stuff. He told her that he was (maybe still "is") going to buy a Saiga 12. We'll see how that goes.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Great reviews and fine weaponry. All I can say is, do you have a younger sister i can introduce my son to? :lol:

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Frost: Sure! We can go plinking zombies any time. I might just have to break out the big gun for that.

Fordnut:
Thanks! Before I could write up your guns I'd have to fire them, but I'd be happy to do so. Really, no prob what-so-ever. I wish I had more guns too! My husband has several but since I don't generally fire his I can't really write them up.

Dave:
I do have one sister but she's older and married. How old is your son, because I happen to have a daughter who likes guns. She's starting 4th grade this year so he'll have to wait 9 years or so lol.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a mite young. I'm from the lower part of the state not the upper. :lol: My son is a 28 yr old NUKE in Groton, Conn. He has vowed to wait until he gets back to the South to find a wife. I hope he doesn't wait too long. A late first marriage can be tough. Of course, my wife is ready for grandyoung'ns.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, he is a bit old. If your wife really needs grandykids right now, I have an 8yo and a 9yo available for borrowing. Their gramparents live in Richmond and they only get to see them once a year. ;)

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
(Bringing back threads from the dead...lol)

Underdude said:
If it ends up a 380, what ammo is most effective? She won't carry one, Just for the home and extended out of town business trips. Planning on a dog for home as well. Suggestions on breed?
Medium size dog, no more than 40-50 lbs.
By ammo, do you mean a brand? I liked Fiocchi (sp?) but I?m sure there?s some others that work just as well.
As for dogs?a german pinscher seems like an excellent home defense dog, but from what I?ve read they aren?t so good with little kids. Miniature bull terriers are said to be very loyal.

Pops said:
As for bunny farts . . .get a bigger bunny
LOL?never heard that term before?

Enjay?FANTASTIC write ups! Thanks for your reviews!!!

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
I was raised with Great Danes too. Definitely more dog than what they're looking for lol.

What do you want the dog to do? Bark and look fierce? Attack on command? Assess the situation, make a decision and act upon it? If you want the dog to reliably do anything more than bark and look scary you'd probably be better served to contact a reputable professional and work with them to find the right breed of dog with the right personality and make sure it's properly trained to the level that you're satisfied with. This will not be cheap, but you'll have a healthy, well socialized animal with reliable temperament and training that will suit your family and lifestyle.

Here's an interesting video I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_TINv4TKhk&NR=1

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
5960324852_a37406ccc0.jpg

This is the Savage Axis (formerly Savage Edge) that belongs to my 16 yo son.
The Savage axis is a bolt action rifle available in eight calibers, this one is chambered for .223 REM. The rifle has a five round box magazine, a 22" carbon steel barrel, a rate of twist that is 1 in 9" (that means the projectile takes 9 inches to complete one full revolution) and the only stock available is a matte black synthetic stock.
The rifle does not have any sights but it comes ready for a scope. The scope we have on it is a Targus we picked up on sale at Wally's.

5960326514_7ca7b10c65.jpg

This is the first mag I fired and as you can see, the rifle is sighted in for my son. I started out low right and walked it in to my last shot, just a hair low left of the bullseye. I did shoot this rifle before it was sighted in and it shot nice, tight little groups right where I put them. I wanted to "fix" it so I could get my groupings back but figured my son wouldn't appreciate my fiddling with his scope. Kentucky windage didn't help me much, I'm used to iron sights so I found that I emptied the magazine just about the time I got my bearings and had to start all over again after reloading. In this case a second or even third magazine would have been handy and a higher capacity magazine would have been ideal.

Pros:
This is a light, comfortable, accurate rifle.

I prefer wood stocks but this one fits the rifle very nicely. It doesn't flex or feel flimsy and it really helps keep the rifle down to a not too hefty 6.5 pounds.

I like the recoil pad it came with. Not that the .223 rifle has that much recoil, but what it does have is nicely cushioned down. I'm just coming off of a lay-up having damaged the AC joint in my left shoulder and this rifle barely made my left shoulder tingle. (I am right handed and fire right handed but recoil carries)

I really like that the rifle is chambered for a wide range of calibers.

It's quite affordable and easily available, we ordered this one at Walmart, and I could see outfitting the whole family (five rifles) for less than what I paid for my first car.

Cons:
I would prefer a semi-auto with a larger clip. Even if I can't have it as a semi-auto, I'd like a larger magazine. I'm sure there are, or will be soon, higher capacity third party magazines.

Savage says it has a silky smooth bolt action. Silky smooth my aunt fanny. It's not rough but easy it ain't. This rifle was purchased new six months ago so I would imagine it's not broken in yet and the action will smooth out with use.

It's awkward to manipulate the bolt since there isn't enough room between the bolt lever and the scope for my thumb. This might be fixable if one fiddled around with different scopes and scope mounts but nah, it's not my rifle, and my son doesn't have that issue since his hands are big enough to rest his thumb on the scope while he lifts the bolt with his fingers.

The rifle has no sights. I love my son dearly, but grace is not something he's acquainted with, a problem exacerbated by his having grown another inch this past month. The first time we took it to the range he loaded it up in it's case, put it in the car, remembered he had the mag in his pocket so he stuck it in the case, and then we were off. About half way to the range I braked hard and here came the Savage, poking it's butt into the back of my seat to say "How YOU doin'?" He'd forgotten to latch the case after he put the mag in it. My car wasn't particularly nice to the finish or the stock, and the scope took more scrapes than either of the other two. Had the scope been damaged the rifle would be out of commission, not something you want to happen out in the woods or when the zombies are feeling peckish.

Would I recommend this rifle? Yes. I think this would be a good rifle family for when you're ready for something beyond the .22. I think it will become a steady eddie and am considering one of my own.

Drexellake

Well-Known Fanatic
Anybody tried a Taurus 85 model? Thoughts? My wife wanted a S&W 638 Airweight because it had pink grips. She shot it 5 times and now it has pearl grips and belongs to me. Too much recoil. Try some +P rounds and its murder on a small frame lady.

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
(This is gonna be short and sweet, as the little one will probably wake up from his nap soon.)

Finally got to go to the range the other day, and got some practice in with my Glock 27 and my new Bersa Thunder CC.

I shot 100 rounds through my Glock, and two days later the web of my shooting hand is still aching. I love this gun, but I'm having a hard time controlling the recoil since my hands don't seem big enough to grip it properly. It's one of those "It's not you, it's me." type of situations. It's a great gun and shoots well, but it seems to be a little more than I can comfortably handle. I'm saddened by this, as I love the functionality and style of Glock. If only they made a single stack 9mm!!!

As for the Bersa Thunder CC, (my new BUG) I love this gun. The trigger is smooth, fits comfortably in my hand, and, being a .380, the recoil is very easy to manage. I can be much more accurate with this gun, and it's smaller and lighter, which makes concealing easier.

I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow.

Latest posts