Gun Oil Corrosion Test

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
What are your thoughts on lubes that claim to clean and lube? I mean one of the properties of oil is to clean anyhow, so are they just using fancy language to sell higher priced oil? Or is there something special in these products? If so, how come it doesn't neutralize itself?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
GamerNxUSN said:
What are your thoughts on lubes that claim to clean and lube? I mean one of the properties of oil is to clean anyhow, so are they just using fancy language to sell higher priced oil? Or is there something special in these products? If so, how come it doesn't neutralize itself?
Some are fairly good. Fireclean and Froglube being the best two IMO... Fireclean cleans really well for a CLP type product and Froglube is right on their heels.

That being said I've not found any of them as good as an actual solvent like Hoppes for cleaning a totally grunged out gun. Except for Froglube CLP actually works several orders of magnitude better than their own "solvent". That was probably the biggest waste of $8 I ever did. The Froglube solvent doesn't do a damn thing that I can tell. Hoppes Elite is vastly superior, but I still love the smell of #9 and it still works well after all these years.

As to the second part of your question, I don't have a clue because I don't know what chemical is in each except for Ballistol which is just coal oil with some stuff added to it.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I went out and looked at the panel today and decided to snap another pic.

I now have to declare Froglube paste the clear winner.

As you can see one of them is still rust free and the other is almost rust free but definitely have some starting. The one that is rust free really surprises me. It's the one I heated, applied, let cool and set for a few minutes and wiped all of it off! I thought for sure that the one that I left a film on would hang longer but it didn't. So it would seem that there actually is something to this whole "seasoning" thing.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
Well I went out and looked at the panel today and decided to snap another pic.

I now have to declare Froglube paste the clear winner.

As you can see one of them is still rust free and the other is almost rust free but definitely have some starting. The one that is rust free really surprises me. It's the one I heated, applied, let cool and set for a few minutes and wiped all of it off! I thought for sure that the one that I left a film on would hang longer but it didn't. So it would seem that there actually is something to this whole "seasoning" thing.
You do the same thing with cast iron cookware, and it works there too. The seasoning/curing I mean.

I'm just shits and giggles happy that Mobil1 works as well as it does. I don't feel guilty re-applying regularly due to the lower cost, and there is no special application process. Just coat and go.

But it is good to see that the FrogLube isn't just good marketing, it seems to be a worthwhile product too. Might be worth considering for guns that don't get used/handled much, and just sit in the safe for long periods.