Gun Oil Corrosion Test

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Been wanting to do my own test for some time. Finally decided to expend the energy. I'm using an old computer case panel, I figured it would be easy to strip. I figured wrong. I left Citristrip on it for a week (mostly due to real work) and it did absolutely nothing. That means it was powder coated, so out comes the power sander. Went at it with 60 grit to remove everything down to bare metal, then 120 grit, then a red Scotchbrite pad. Then I wiped it down with MEK taped it up and wiped it down again with denatured alcohol. Then all products were applied with a clean patch for each.

Here are the test subjects:

IMG_0096_zpsbbffcc8d.jpg

Here is the panel all ready to go:

IMG_0095_zpsfc0707e1.jpg

What I'm testing:

Frog Lube (both paste and liquid) panel heated, allowed set set for about an hour and wiped off just like the demos on their site.
Frog Lube (both paste and liquid) just wiped on and leaving a light film.

All of the following just wiped on allowed to set a few minutes, and wiped off leaving a very light film:

Ballistol
Slip 2000 EWL
Breakfree CLP
Remoil
Fireclean
Eezox
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W20 motor oil (5W20 is all I had on hand)

As soon as the Eezox dries I will take it out and lean it up against my shed in the backyard. All this fog, humidity and possible rain ought to get it off to a good start.

I'm really curious as to how the Froglube and Fireclean does. They both clean very well and do a great job at keeping carbon buildup at bay but I'm skeptical about the corrosion preventative properties if you wipe it all off like they tell you to. That's why I also did a section for each of them leaving a light coat to more evenly compare with the other products. I really wish I still had access to a salt fog cabinet like I had in my previous occupation. Then I could check anodized aluminum and parkerized steel per ASTM B117. Now that would be interesting.

The plan is to post up a pic each night until they all crap the bed.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Scott this will be interesting to follow your pics and results.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I will defiantly be following this. I've been wondering if I should use something like the Froglube or Fireclean rather than the good ole Hoppes gun oil that I have been using for 30 years.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
kdf9511 said:
I will defiantly be following this. I've been wondering if I should use something like the Froglube or Fireclean rather than the good ole Hoppes gun oil that I have been using for 30 years.
FrogLube is worth trying for it's lubricating properties and easy cleanup. I don't think it will fare as well as some others in this corrosion test, though. I guess we will see! I'll definitely be checking back on this thread often.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I didnt know Hoppes was a lubricant?

I don't have to scrape my AR bolt or any gun parts anymore now that I have everything costed and lubed with Fireclean.

Great test Scott. Can't wait to see the results.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I didnt know Hoppes was a lubricant?
Yep, they make oil too. All I have ever used to clean my smokeless guns is Hoppes #9 and maybe some Gun Scrubber for the semi auto trigger groups. Followed by Hoppes Lubricating Oil. I'm guessing it's about the same as the RemOil he is testing.

126157.jpg

jtischauser

Ah ha! I was thinking of #9. I thought no way that lubricates and I guess I was right and wrong all at the same time:)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
WillR said:
I think there is a betting pool opurtunity here.
for simple corrosion (rust) prevention, my money's on the mobile 1

jtischauser

Wormydog1724 said:
I heard fireclean can get kinda "gummy" when it's real cold outside.
It's really thin normally which is my biggest concern so a little more viscosity could be a good thing. I worry that it will run down to the stock in my long guns when they are sitting in the rack at matches. That said your not supposed to apply it liberally with a bunch extra hanging around like I like to do with Mobil 1.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
for simple corrosion (rust) prevention, my money's on the mobile 1
I suspect that it will be a horse race between Mobil 1, Ballistol, Eezox and CLP with CLP trailing just behind those.

Got a little rust on the control already. For those that don't know what that is, it's just a spot that was prepared exactly like all the others and has nothing on it. Just bare, clean and unprotected steel.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
kdf9511 said:
Yep, they make oil too. All I have ever used to clean my smokeless guns is Hoppes #9 and maybe some Gun Scrubber for the semi auto trigger groups. Followed by Hoppes Lubricating Oil. I'm guessing it's about the same as the RemOil he is testing.

126157.jpg
If you read the MSDS, Hoppe's Gun Oil is just mineral oil.

Wormydog1724 said:
FrogLube definitely does. If I let my 1911 set for a while in cool air (I keep my house at ~65 because I'm cheap) the slide gets really "gummy" feeling. I should note that it hasn't affected functioning.

I haven't noticed this problem with the M&Ps, probably because the clearances are greater and there's so much less bearing surface between the frame rails and slide.

Wormydog1724 said:
I wish you could do a test with friction.
Someone, somewhere on the Internet is an actual tribologist and did a friction test on Frog Lube where it did really well.

My feeling about FrogLube is that it works well but I'm not sure if it works well enough to keep paying $monkeybux for it. It's nice to have the lead bullet crap just wipe off but I've heard of people getting the same results with a thin layer of wheel bearing grease. Just another thing to test I suppose.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
This is the only real change. Honestly I thought it would be worse,. None of the treated areas are showing anything.

IMG_0097_zps00519661.jpg

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
Wormydog1724 said:
my 2011 does this when it gets cold. i haven't had it malf or anything but I didn't like it so i switched back to mobile1 on my pistol. It seems to work well on my AR so far and its much easier to clean.

Chambers

actual GM
Scott Hearn said:
This is the only real change. Honestly I thought it would be worse,. None of the treated areas are showing anything.
Put it in a gun case and see what happens. :) That's the only time I've ever had rust issues.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Chambers said:
Put it in a gun case and see what happens. :) That's the only time I've ever had rust issues.
Thats funny and me too! But my grandpa could leave his pristine Belgian Browning Sweet 16 in it's case for years at a time and not get a single molecule of corrosion on it. I have no idea why. :smiley_confused1: :41:

Latest posts