Greeting guests

imacgyver

Founding Member
I have thought long and hard about this - and I can not depend on the stopping power of a handgun. Over penetration is a very valid argument, but since I don't live in an apt complex, the chances of collateral damage would be the same with a handgun. but that 1 shot - 100% take down beats out the other factors.

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
I have thought long and hard about this - and I can not depend on the stopping power of a handgun. Over penetration is a very valid argument, but since I don't live in an apt complex, the chances of collateral damage would be the same with a handgun. but that 1 shot - 100% take down beats out the other factors.

Your 9mm is plenty to stop someone, even using ball ammo. and then you have 17-18 rounds in the gun. It all comes down to slot placement. You could get shot in the foot with a .50BMG and still be going, a .22lr to the head and you drop on site.

And then a single shot is not the best idea, you have to assume that the only time you would ever shoot someone is protecting your family. if someone breaks in, chances are it is at night time, you will be groggy and under extreme stress you dont shoot for ****. I read somewhere that LEO's that have to fire their weapon on duty hit less that 15% of what the shoot

Spiff

Semi-Pro

Fine, get a shotgun. What happens if there's two dirtbags?

imacgyver

Founding Member
Your 9mm is plenty to stop someone, even using ball ammo. and then you have 17-18 rounds in the gun. It all comes down to slot placement. You could get shot in the foot with a .50BMG and still be going, a .22lr to the head and you drop on site.

And then a single shot is not the best idea, you have to assume that the only time you would ever shoot someone is protecting your family. if someone breaks in, chances are it is at night time, you will be groggy and under extreme stress you dont shoot for ****. I read somewhere that LEO's that have to fire their weapon on duty hit less that 15% of what the shoot

Not to start a huge debate

Terminal ballistics is very important!
just one of the many many many sights that I look at
http://www.brassfetcher.com/Gel%20Testing.html

*and if two, kill 1 then reload and shoot his friend. pretty simple!

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
Not to start a huge debate

Terminal ballistics is very important!
just one of the many many many sights that I look at
http://www.brassfetcher.com/Gel%20Testing.html

*and if two, kill 1 then reload and shoot his friend. pretty simple!

Not to be argumentative, but you're never going to convince anyone on here that a single shot firearm of any caliber is a top choice for home defense. If it's the only firearm you own, then it's the obvious choice. But, you might want to invest in at least a baseball bat as backup if that's the case! :)

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
Not to be argumentative, but you're never going to convince anyone on here that a single shot firearm of any caliber is a top choice for home defense. If it's the only firearm you own, then it's the obvious choice. But, you might want to invest in at least a baseball bat as backup if that's the case! :)

I lol'd at that. Especially with some of the guys on here with like 3 of eveything for backups.

imacgyver

Founding Member
My intention is not to change anyone's mind - I just posted my ideal setup. I didn't expect to defend it either, but unlike most people (not necessarily here), I feel I have done adequate research enough to convince myself. And as with everything, there is a level of variation to consider, specifically events that would require you to defend yourself with a firearm.

oklaccer

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay guys and gals. Its that simple which weapon do you choose to have by your side when answering the door?

Personally I have a very small collection of firearms compared to most here so I seem to always answer or check the door with my embarrassing beeter pistol. After reeding and realizing that if you did have to use your weapon that the police would be confiscating it I decided I didn't want them taking one of my nicer guns.
I don't have a large collection, so I take what I carry. G23 with 180gr Hornady TAP. It goes on when I wake, comes off at bedtime. Then it is nearby.
I have 2 doors that people come to. Friends and neighbors come to the side door, strangers come to the front door.

kimberst245

Well-Known Fanatic
Usually the carry gun of the day that is already on, or haven taken that off, the 2 1/2" Model 19 with .357's gets put in the waisband, or in a back pocket.

LStevens

Well-Known Fanatic
I send my wife to the door. Hey, you haven't seen her at 3am. That would scare the Bajezus out of anyone.

Nah, snubby Ruger .357

sparky102183

Fanatic
My family and friends call before they come over but my SA 1911 is always close and my p238 or bg380 is ALWAYS on me.

FZFan

Fanatic
S&W 40 or a 357. My wife always kinda looks at me funny like why, but then again she knows it is better to be safe than sorry.
She does not care for guns very much until she met me and we lived in a not so good part of town (around 10th and McArthur in OKC). Somebody stopped in front of our house and was shooting at the neighbor next door.
We moved shortly thereafter and now live in a much better area. But I still get ready when opening the door to be ready for anything. Still waiting for Publisher Clearing House to show . I wonder if they would show me armed in the commercials??