Great Tip for Increasing Your First Hit Rifle Speed

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Next one will be at Ft. Irwin but you will need a T.A.D. or T.D. Y. to get there if you aren't assigned to the class.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Hey I am not taking anything away from what Mike teaches! Between him, Kyle, and Cooley you will never get better rifle training......well maybe from me...but that would be a different subject. Anyway Mike is a friend of mine, matter of fact Cyrwus and I am building him a new 3-gun shotgun, but my point is almost anyone can build a good fast first shot, it is what happens after that that is just as important or more so. Remeber Zombieland...."Doubletap"

As for Pistol draw speed, it should be the absolute same each time, as fast as you can burn it safely! Too many times I have watched folks draw to engage a far target and do their draw real slow because they are trying to be real precise. The draw should burn out at the very same speed you would use at 3 yards.....THEN and only then....take your time on the sights and trigger....NOT a slow draw and a slow shot. I have seen this cost 2-3 EXTRA seconds in some real good shooters. SEE? There is a little tip for all you guys, now I know someone wants to argue about it. :devil:

I want to argue! That's not a little tip. It's a BIG tip!!!

Motojunkie

Well-Known Fanatic
Next one will be at Ft. Irwin but you will need a T.A.D. or T.D. Y. to get there if you aren't assigned to the class.

I'm going to have to skip that one since I've been out of the military for 15 years.

I appreciate that you are teaching the folks that are putting their lives on the line. Those are the folks that need the training. Train them up so they have a better chance to come home in one piece after their next deployment. Thank you, sir!

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
We did some timed drills like this at a training camp here this spring with the national team.
From IPSC low read (stock touching hip) I'm not happy being over 0.70, my best one was 0.64.
With the stock touching shoulder and 45 degrees I like to be below .050. My best time is 0.41 at a 12 inch steel plate at 15 meters.
My splits are usuallly at about 0.12-0.13 on short range double taps. with a rare 0.11 inbetween. and my best transition was a 0.18 with targets pretty close next to each other.
We were shooting for alphas all the way, and only pasted at the end of several tries, but pretty much all my hits were good.

This was with my old rifle with a heavy carrier and buffer, so I'm anxious to try the same drills with the new one.