Good lightweight handguard for ar

bigsampson

Well-Known Fanatic
I was using Samson and really liked them. Just built a gun with the BCM KMR. I really like this much better.
Lighter, easy install, very secure, key mod.
Until something better comes along, this is what both my match guns will sport.

White Kid

The American Reaper
Samson EVO 12" or 15" or MidWest Industries or UTG Super Slim Rail. I do find them to be pretty good rail. The UTG is like $120 or so, the EVO and MWI is about $185. I'm getting the Samson Evo 15" for my AR and I think they're the slickest rails out there, IMHO.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Zander Pharr said:
Samson EVO 12" or 15" or MidWest Industries or UTG Super Slim Rail. I do find them to be pretty good rail. The UTG is like $120 or so, the EVO and MWI is about $185. I'm getting the Samson Evo 15" for my AR and I think they're the slickest rails out there, IMHO.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
You can get both at Optics Planet cheaper then anywhere I've found. PM me and I'll send you a few 10% off codes too.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
And if you use the aluminum barrel not on the mlock version it comes in at about 8.9 oz for a 15" rail with barrel nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtischauser

CD POWELL said:
And if you use the aluminum barrel not on the mlock version it comes in at about 8.9 oz for a 15" rail with barrel nut.

Jared Carpenter said:
Im gonna guess this is the lightest on the market.

A hair over 9 oz with barrel nut.

https://brigandarms.com/shop-3/brigand-quad-rail-15-2/
Those rails must be heavy on the braided carbon fiber handguard because that thing should be way lighter then anything aluminum.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
2A Armament's balios lite stuff is way cool, it's really a work of art how they do the lightening. They use a lot of titanium in their components also, the hand guards come with a titanium barrel nut. But the have an aluminum one that is lighter. I fondled one of their complete rifles at wanemacher last weekend it was amazing it didnt feel real. I think it comes in around 5 lbs or under with a T1. And that's with a standard carrier and h2 buffer. A low mass and jp silent would even be lighter. Cool stuff.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I put an ALG Defense rifle length handguard on my carbine a few months ago. It is a genius level design. Comes with a special wrench and spacers for timing and torguing simultaneously. Allows for mounting pic rails. Great pricing, and they support 3-Gun.

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
Stick with the Samson Evo. There are a lot of light weight tubes out there but you have to remember what you are going to do with it. it may be thrown in a dump barrel and bounce off the edges of barricades. If you are doing anything like that you are going to want a solid well built tube that wont dent up or fall apart. That is just my own two cents.. good luck

jtischauser

CD POWELL said:
2A Armament's balios lite stuff is way cool, it's really a work of art how they do the lightening. They use a lot of titanium in their components also, the hand guards come with a titanium barrel nut. But the have an aluminum one that is lighter. I fondled one of their complete rifles at wanemacher last weekend it was amazing it didnt feel real. I think it comes in around 5 lbs or under with a T1. And that's with a standard carrier and h2 buffer. A low mass and jp silent would even be lighter. Cool stuff.

The density of carbon fiber is roughly 1.6g/cm3, titanium is 4.5 g/cm3, and aluminum is 2.7 g/cm3.

So they must be using a significantly less amount of aluminum in that tube to get it to weigh the same as a Carbon tube. Just looking at the two it doesn't look that much less. Those tails probably do add a bunch of weight.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
They do a significant amount of material removal i.e. The individual rail sections and every place they can. I don't know if it is at a compromise of strength. I would like to beat on one for awhile and find out, lol. I don't think it would be my first choice for a competition rifle. But it sure is cool!

Latest posts