Getting started!

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I can buy all that stuff for less...you can get the press for 400 there abouts, on BE the basic kit was 612 before shipping for the press with one caliber, a manual, a caliper, spare parts kit, primer tube 4 pack and a wrench...If you say 400 for the press, 200 bucks could get you pretty far towards all that other stuff and more I would say...just my opinion.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I agree, 200 would go a long way.
The great thing about the dillon is that even if you buy used, they still cover the lifetime warr.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Hell yea, thats why im wanting dillon instead of anything else...the warranty is boss...

boomerboy78

Active Fanatic
so i got a reloader and all the stuff givin to me by a buddy i havent ever used it, has scales and everything still in the boxes, plus has .45 and 38 special dies... boxes of primers...basically everything but powder and lead... whats a good place to get powder and rounds of diff calibers?? so does it matter what die you buy?? does a certain press have to take a certain die?? im thinkn about getting into it... does the time and effort pay off in the long run any cheaper then say just buying ur ammo at the shop?? and what about reloading shotgun?? my dads buddy use to do this for us but he has moved away... does that take a certain press or can u use the same press just change the dies??

thanx aaron

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
You end up shooting more and not really saving money unless you look at the cost savings per round/box etc.
Most dies are threaded for most presses. A very few are press dependent.
You get a lot from reloading starting with the satisfaction of rolling your own. You will be able to tailor the load for your firearm and needs. It gives you more gun time when not at the range and you can save money.
I don't know what your time is worth to you, but if you are only sitting at home you might as well be reloading.

boomerboy78

Active Fanatic
You end up shooting more and not really saving money unless you look at the cost savings per round/box etc.
Most dies are threaded for most presses. A very few are press dependent.
You get a lot from reloading starting with the satisfaction of rolling your own. You will be able to tailor the load for your firearm and needs. It gives you more gun time when not at the range and you can save money.
I don't know what your time is worth to you, but if you are only sitting at home you might as well be reloading.

Very true...good point..

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
and what about reloading shotgun?? my dads buddy use to do this for us but he has moved away... does that take a certain press or can u use the same press just change the dies??

thanx aaron

Aaron,
Shotgun takes a different press. These days the bulk / cheap wal-mart shells are about as cheap as you can reload. Difference is in the higher priced shells you can still see a savings. If you are a dedicated shotgunner you could purchase in bulk and see some savings. If reclaimed shot works for you then that would figure into your savings as well as using some of the cheaper shotgun powders.
Now when you start in on 16, 28 and 410 the savings increase as well as load selection for those three as well as for 20ga.

Same with shotgun and metallic - figure the cost of components in your area or in the volume you would order on-line and see if there is a savings. Many times you can find a couple of folks to go in on a shipment and save on shipping and hazmat, and might get a volume discount.

boomerboy78

Active Fanatic
Aaron,
Shotgun takes a different press. These days the bulk / cheap wal-mart shells are about as cheap as you can reload. Difference is in the higher priced shells you can still see a savings. If you are a dedicated shotgunner you could purchase in bulk and see some savings. If reclaimed shot works for you then that would figure into your savings as well as using some of the cheaper shotgun powders.
Now when you start in on 16, 28 and 410 the savings increase as well as load selection for those three as well as for 20ga.

Same with shotgun and metallic - figure the cost of components in your area or in the volume you would order on-line and see if there is a savings. Many times you can find a couple of folks to go in on a shipment and save on shipping and hazmat, and might get a volume discount.

thats a good point i thot it took a diff press i remember seeing my dads buddies and it looked way diff then what i got givn to me... and me and my family are diff dedicated to shotguns from hunting ducks, quail, dove, goose, pheasant and also skeet shooting.... think i am gonna diff gonna getinto especially if i decide to step into the comp side of shooting.... thanx alot for the info guys...

Latest posts