Getting started!

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
So Ive reloaded a bit before but not in volume, most of my experience is on a rockchucker loading precision 308, but Im looking to buy a progressive press soon to load 223, 45, 40 and 308. Im just curious whats the best press for loading in volume for 3 gun and such. Im really thinking either a dillon 550 or 650. Im probably gonna start with 223 or 308. Im willing to entertain other options, these just seemed the easiest, and I like the warranty.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Go blue and don't look back. I'd get a 650 if I were you. I went with a 550, and while it's great, the output of a 650 is far greater.

J.t. Stapleton

Well-Known Fanatic
Honestly I like a 550 for loading different calibers of pistol and rifle. That's easy for me to say because I don't have a 650 but the price of all of the conversion pieces to switch between calibers on a 650 is pretty high. Actually, the lady at Dillon, I think her name is Debby, recommended the 550 to me because of all the different calibers I load for. I especially like the fact that when I load for precision rifle, it's easy to individually trickle powder charges and then put them back in the press and continue with the process. Also, when I load bulk ammo I can still chunk out about 300 an hour and I go pretty slow. I'm not saying I wouldn't love a 650 set up solely for 9mm or .223 but my 550 rocks and toolheads, powder dies, and conversion kits are fairly cheap compared to the 650. Just make sure you factor in a toolhead and powder die for each caliber you want to load so you only set your dies up once. Oh, also order a few extra primer tubes so you don't have to constantly stop and refill the only one you've got. You'd be amazed how fast you go through a 100 primers.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I went 550; thought I would move to a 650 but enough friends have them that I decided to stay with the 550 x2 (sold the second before my move here) but still can not justify a 650s need nor do I want for a 650. 400 rounds an hour or more if you are comfortable going that fast with preloaded primer tubes. Find someone who has the two and see if you can spend an hour or two on each. Like anything else try before you buy if you can. Neither is a bad choice and both are a good choice. When it boils down to it for me the 550 is the best bang for the buck and the simplest. Money saved could go to a complete caliber conversion plus. Whatever you decide check B.E site for prices and deals before ordering direct. You wont be under gunned with a 550. 10-15 min and you have enough of one caliber to shoot a match.

Best with your decision.

dennishoddy

I'm the red guy. I load with the Hornady LNL AP. One more station for a powder cop die.

I'm sure the Dillon is great, but basically if the loader goes up and down at the same place every time, its just a matter of setting up the dies to deprime, size, load a primer, drop some powder, and load a bullet.
All of that is accomplished by the dies, not the loader.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
The hornady isnt any cheaper than the 650. I like both, but like tizzle said, the multi caliber capability is really what I need to focus on, and for the price I think 300 rounds an hour isnt so bad. But does the 550 have case feeder options and such?

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
550B case feeder.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23573/catid/3/RL_550B_Casefeeder_110_Volt_Small_Pistol

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I use a 550 for multiple calibers and have no problems keeping up. I occasionaly think about getting a 650 or a casefeeder for my 550 but always end up spending the money on cocaine and hookers...

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
new they can be had for about 400, if you get it with a conversion kit for 1 caliber I see them around 450-475...but I need at least 3 or 4 calibers, so the price of those vs the kits for 650 sort of drive me the 550 direction since the 650 kits are substantially more. I dont think i need to load 600 rounds an hour, but thats just me...Im just thinking that Ill save more going with the 550 since Im looking to load 40, 45, 223 and 308...

TroyF

TheBearcat
I use a 550 for multiple calibers and have no problems keeping up. I occasionaly think about getting a 650 or a casefeeder for my 550 but always end up spending the money on cocaine and hookers...

He aint lying......

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic

He aint lying......
I am sure there is an Eddie Murphy joke in here some where.
link - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Eddie-Murphy-s-1997-Transvestite-Prostitute-Encounter-Fear-19211.shtml

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
No Eddie Murphy funny business going on here....

Back to the thread. I load tons on ammo on my 550 in 9mm, .40, .45, and .223. Once you get a system worked out things run pretty smooth.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I just recommended the 650 due to my own lack of spare time to spend reloading. I think it would be awesome to go make a thousand rounds in two hours or less.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the optional powder check system on the Dillon 650.
I bought my 650 on BE (discounts and free shipping).

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Well now I feel dumb... :banghead:

I looked on Enos and I didnt see anything really, all the tooling was sold off, what was left is in odd calibers or things I dont need.

Latest posts