getting started

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Definitely don't buy gear yet. Go to a match and borrow some stuff and see what you like, what others are shooting, and what you can afford. Buying gear now would almost guarantee you will want to buy different gear after a couple of matches.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Not only will that JM Mossberg that Burk pointed you to get you started, but the feller selling it owns Make Ready Pro Shop (dot com) and can help you out with all the rest of the stuff you will need at the best prices.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Competition shotguns need to say Benelli on the side.
Everytime a new shotgun hits the market aimed at competition, they always try to compare to a Benelli.

If you want to use a pump, get a supernova
Automatic, get an M1 or M2

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
If that's what you can get, it'll be just fine. You may want to upgrade pretty quickly though so think about that.
Be very careful of anyone that says you NEED a certain type of gun. A fella named Eric Miller has won dozens of matches overall with an old Remington Sportsman 48 shotgun. Jerry M does pretty good with a Mossberg shotgun named after him too. If cost isn't a concern, a Benelli shotgun worked over by Mike at Accurate Arms, a JP CTR-02 Rifle and a tricked out 2011 by a custom gunsmith is your best bet. For us common folk, your current pistol and about 5 magazines, the aforementioned 870 and any ol' AR will get you into it. If you like it, you are a .308 rifle away from having a real heavy metal setup. You can always trade up later.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Check out okcgunclub.org and Click on the events calendar. I am pretty sure it's the 4th Saturday. Also, come on out this Saturday for the USPSA match. Bring your gun, 5 magazines and about 225 rounds. A holster and mag pouches for the belt and you will be good to go. Almost all the fellers that gave advice here and the rest of the guys that shoot 3 gun a bunch will be there and will give you all the advice and info you need. I am old and washed up so I won't be much help, but I have fun shooting. :)

Squirrel77777

Fanatic
do shooters have stuff for sale at the shoot. I have been looking at armslist and dang what a joke most of them that post guns there want same price for used as it costs new

Squirrel77777

Fanatic
I just read sat shoot you have to be good to be there they need a beginner class for us newbies lol and I only have 3 mags with this gun

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
do shooters have stuff for sale at the shoot. I have been looking at armslist and dang what a joke most of them that post guns there want same price for used as it costs new
We post them here in the classifieds & arrange a meet if your wanting to buy.
You can ask the guys (local to you) that have stuff listed if they can bring it to the match with them for you to look at

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Squirrel77777 said:
I just read sat shoot you have to be good to be there they need a beginner class for us newbies lol and I only have 3 mags with this gun
I've been in the beginner class for 3 years, no sign of promotion to semi-pro yet.

Latest posts