getting started

Squirrel77777

Fanatic
I am looking to get into 3 gun

can someone tell me what the best shotgun and AR are usually good for a beginner
I have a Kimber 45 for pistol division

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Lots of choices for the AR from the factories, but building your own the way you want it is how most do it.
Benelli M1 or M2
M&P 5" pro or a Glock 34

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I assume you are confined by a budget, like nearly all beginners....

Any flat top M4-type carbine with an optic will be fine. Lucid, Primary Arms, and Vortex all make good cheap optics. Iron sights are cheaper, but much harder use use.

Shotgun... how about a pump gun that can take a magazine extension and use choke tubes? You need at least an 8-round mag tube. 18" cylinder bore barrel will not cut it.

If you have a big budget, then you can get a lot nicer things. That doesn't mean you'll shoot well, but your stuff will be excellent.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
You will get good advice here. Try to beg borrow or steal some guns to try out and see what you like.

Your Kimber will hamper your experience. Sell it and buy a high capacity 9mm. Glock, M&P or XD.

Try to find a used Benelli M1

Start out with a plain ol' AR carbine and go from there.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If you are just doing 3 gun, go with 9mm.
If you plan to do uspsa too and can't budget a second gun, then go with the .40 or shoot production division with the 9mm

Squirrel77777

Fanatic
well I am new to it never one it I have a ATI AR 15 223 and a Kimber guess I need to do some changes I know I am probably a pain but I don't know anyone that does 3 gun so learning. I have been shooting competition bows all over united states but tired of it wanna try something new. I am not going to get crazy with it just fun hobby. For a beginner what class would I be in so I can look at rules

Squirrel77777

Fanatic
don't even know where to go and shoot I live about 90 miles north of the Okc where do I find competitions and how do you find when they are so I can come watch one live

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Your rifle will be fine for now. So would the Kimber if you can afford the .45 ammo and have a lot of mags.

Looks like OKCGC is gonna be your closest. It was cancelled this month but we will be back at it next month (5-23-13)

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
If you bring 12 ga shells, you can borrow a shotgun. Probably could borrow a different one for every stage.

Latest posts