Flashlights: Mounted, carried, both, or neither?

What is your light carry preference?

• Weapon-mounted only or primarily

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Pocket or belt carry only or primarily

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Both weapon and pocket/belt carry equally

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Neither - I do not carry a light or carry one less than 25% of the time

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Freedom Shooter said:
There is no reason to carry a light while you C/C you cant go looking for the person or you are not in fear of your life.
Wow, that was silly. If I'm going to shoot someone, I should probably see them and determine if they're a threat or not first.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
<insert standard disclaimer about how I'm not tactical here>

I have read that shining a light in someone's face is a good way to a) identify them and b ) challenge them in a firm but nonviolent way. I'd much rather have to explain to a cop why I shined a flashlight in a guy's face than why I drew a gun on him when he was just going to ask if I'd seen his lost dog.

Airic

I shoot.
Freedom Shooter said:
There is no reason to carry a light while you C/C you cant go looking for the person or you are not in fear of your life. In your home that is complete different store i have several guns/light in my home. I will clear my house to my family and outside. A light is just as important to a gun.
Why is it just as important as a gun in your home, but not out of your home? Yes your not going to be searching for someone but you might need to search for a way out of someplace, or ID a threat. Its still dark inside of a building during the day time if the lights go out....

poopgiggle said:
<insert standard disclaimer about how I'm not tactical here>

I have read that shining a light in someone's face is a good way to a) identify them and b ) challenge them in a firm but nonviolent way. I'd much rather have to explain to a cop why I shined a flashlight in a guy's face than why I drew a gun on him when he was just going to ask if I'd seen his lost dog.
This. All my lights have a strobe function. Its very disorienting when shined in someones face. I have used this technique for years on duty to gain an advantage at night. Works every time.

Freedom Shooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
Wow, that was silly. If I'm going to shoot someone, I should probably see them and determine if they're a threat or not first.
so you pull your gun prior to knowing if they are a threat, that shows lack of training. I have gotten in to a fist fight and not pulled my gun, i was NOT in fear of my life.

I know you dont know me but i dont mean any disrespect in saying you have a lack of training. I am saying alomst everyone that has a C/C has a lack of training. I believe we should carry, however i think you should have to go to more trainging the 4-8 hours of B/S training.

Freedom Shooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Eric Gambill said:
Why is it just as important as a gun in your home, but not out of your home? Yes your not going to be searching for someone but you might need to search for a way out of someplace, or ID a threat. Its still dark inside of a building during the day time if the lights go out....

This. All my lights have a strobe function. Its very disorienting when shined in someones face. I have used this technique for years on duty to gain an advantage at night. Works every time.
I agree with this however you said the key word, Duty. i am assuming you are a cop that has been cross trained with a light. Many people think if they have there C/C they can handle situations that they are not trained for. An untrained C/C carrier is worse then a kid having a gun be cause they have the "i can handle this" mentality

Airic

I shoot.
Freedom Shooter said:
I agree with this however you said the key word, Duty. i am assuming you are a cop that has been cross trained with a light. Many people think if they have there C/C they can handle situations that they are not trained for. An untrained C/C carrier is worse then a kid having a gun be cause they have the "i can handle this" mentality
I trained myself on how to use a flashlight with/without a gun well before I became a cop. The only classes I have ever been a part of in Law Enforcement that involved flashlight tactics....I taught.

I think the point of all this is....train yourself on what you decide to carry every day. Spend a couple days during your normal routine playing "what if".
What if I was attacked right now? What would I need to survive the encounter? Get out safe?

If in your normal routine you dont see a need for a flashlight in any situation....then I guess dont carry one.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Freedom Shooter said:
so you pull your gun prior to knowing if they are a threat, that shows lack of training.
Criminals are pretty good at looking like "not a threat" until they're really close. Shining a flashlight at someone is a pretty good low-pass filter for malicious intent.

Example: the night before the election last year I was doing a yard sign drop at polling places in North Tulsa and had to stop for gas. This shabby looking dude started walking up to me and I DEPLOYED MY TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT and said "can I help you?" It turned out that he was a bum looking for change, and acting super aggressively towards him wouldn't have been appropriate. If he had been up to no good, I would have known that when he was farther away so I'd have more time to draw or run or whatever.

Again, I'm not tactical. I'm just saying that flashlights are useful for things other than clearing buildings and operationally dropping tangoes. Bust 'em.

Also I'm at bars pretty frequently when it's not legal (or wise, frankly) for me to have a gun. "Blind the guy and run" is a much better plan than "run."

Airic

I shoot.
poopgiggle said:
Criminals are pretty good at looking like "not a threat" until they're really close. Shining a flashlight at someone is a pretty good low-pass filter for malicious intent.

Example: the night before the election last year I was doing a yard sign drop at polling places in North Tulsa and had to stop for gas. This shabby looking dude started walking up to me and I DEPLOYED MY TACTICAL FLASHLIGHT and said "can I help you?" It turned out that he was a bum looking for change, and acting super aggressively towards him wouldn't have been appropriate. If he had been up to no good, I would have known that when he was farther away so I'd have more time to draw or run or whatever.

Again, I'm not tactical. I'm just saying that flashlights are useful for things other than clearing buildings and operationally dropping tangoes. Bust 'em.

Also I'm at bars pretty frequently when it's not legal (or wise, frankly) for me to have a gun. "Blind the guy and run" is a much better plan than "run."
ROFLMAO!!!! *1911 mag, 1911 mag, twinkie, primary weapon mag*

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Freedom Shooter said:
so you pull your gun prior to knowing if they are a threat, that shows lack of training. I have gotten in to a fist fight and not pulled my gun, i was NOT in fear of my life.

I know you dont know me but i dont mean any disrespect in saying you have a lack of training. I am saying alomst everyone that has a C/C has a lack of training. I believe we should carry, however i think you should have to go to more trainging the 4-8 hours of B/S training.

I think I wrote a vague comment and you misunderstood the intent of it. A gun should not be deployed until a direct threat is recognized, at least for a concealed carrier in public. Congratulations on getting into a fight and not pulling your gun. I once was flagged down into what would become a really weird domestic dispute wherein I DID become in fear for my life, but in a generally concerned sense rather than a specific one (what would have essentially been condition orange, I suppose). I did not pull a gun and no one knew I had one except me. Had the incident occurred an hour later when it would have been dark, a flashlight would have been instrumental in determining if I needed to produce a gun and start applying bullets to a specific person in order to protect my life.

I'm glad that we've now bonded through the sharing of anecdotes. To say that there's not reason to have a light for a concealed carrier is kinda silly. I'm not interested in hunting people down with my whiz-bang uber-tactical Surefire retina-burner, I'm interested in knowing if that black object in their hand is a gun or a radio shack bag.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I CC with a weapon mounted light 99% of the time. I think I'm going to start shooting 3 gun with one too. You know, in case those zombies come.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I've been carrying a Streamlight microstream for the better part of a year now and it's become like my knife, I can't leave home without it. I use it so much more than I ever thought I would.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I've been carrying a Streamlight microstream for the better part of a year now and it's become like my knife, I can't leave home without it. I use it so much more than I ever thought I would.
You're still young. When you get a little older it will be more important than your knife. I too carry all three, light, knife, and pistol.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry the stream light protac 1L and love it! I also bought the streamlight nano the other day that hooks on your key ring. It's tiny but bright as heck.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
This poll and this topic needs to be revived. A flashlight might be the second most important tool in your tool box
You couldn't have said it any better Burk. Every time I leave my home I always have Keys, Pistol (Glock 31 or 42), wallet, Streamlight Stylus pro USB and a knife. Since I worked in aviation for many years I never carried a small light in just had big ones like stingers and strions in my tool box. About 2 years ago I got in the habit of carrying a small light. I can't believe how much I use it now and I would be lost with out it.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Depends for me. If I can carry concealed outside the waistband, then I will carry with the light attached to the gun. BUt can generally only do that in the winter. I do have a custom IWB holster on order thaat will work with my mounted light, and will use that once I get it.

I did a low light defensive pistol course a couple of years ago. I was the only one using a weapons mounted light. At the start of the class lots of guys were talking bad about the mounted light. Then we started shooting, and they saw how much easier I could get good hits, because I had both hands on the gun. I was also using a Streamlight TRL4, which is a light / laser combo. Huge advantage in the dark. The guys talking bad about my light in the beginning, were wanting to try mine out by the end of the class.

One big advantage I was able to show during the class, was simulating covering a target with my weapon in one hand, and being able to call 911 with the other, and still have the light and gun pointed at the target. No one else could figure out a good way to do that.

I also carry a back up light too. 1: If the primary weapons light goes down, I have a back up. 2: Sometimes it's not appropriate to pull a weapon to use the light thats on it.

Every long gun I own has a light on it.

Chasegibson

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an Armadillo Concealment X-Fer on the way for a surefire X300U. I am looking forward to carrying a WML with this holster. I'll report back once I have a chance to use it and draw an opinion on it.

Oh, I'll add, I carry a Surefire G2x in my pocket everyday.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I lost my Microstream at the gym so the past week I've been pocket carrying a Fenix E12, it's a bright little bugger and has 3 settings. Very nice little light, just wish it had a clip.

Latest posts