fireclean issues when cold?

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that jared has us back on topic does anyone use the brownells friction defense x tream gun oil? I have been using it with great results. Lubes good and easy cleaning.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have some of the Brownell's Friction Defense that I got in one of those goodie bags you get at major matches. I don't know if I'll ever use it. Probably won't.

Airic

I shoot.
I use fishing reel oil. The little tubes with the needle applicator that you can get in the fishing section in Walmart. Have used it for years. Never failed me that I know and it never feels any different due to temp.

The little needle is handy

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Jared Carpenter said:
Ok so to get this back on track and to not give some of the elderly members a heart attack, has anyone tried slip2000 EWL? Ive had it sitting in a box of stuff since my last AR i pieced together and never used it. Is it much like the other pricey crap out there?
I've got a bottle I was using. It's thinner than the Mobil 1 15w-50 I was using and wouldn't stay in place quite as well. Good stuff, but I went back to Mobil 1.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Ryan Muller said:
I have a baroid lubricity tester, so if any of you are interested in what your lube does at different operating pressures let me know.
I met some guys at SHOT that dumped a bunch of this stuff on me. I' can send you a bottle for testing.

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
In all honesty.......stupid question alert.......how often do you lube each type of gun? Pistol, AR, shotgun? I hear so many opinions. Only when you clean it? Every time you shoot it?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I lube/clean before every match.

If I am travel and at a big match I wipe down and lube every night.

If I am just practicing I usually go about 500-1000 rounds between cleaning/lubing.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Jennifer S. said:
In all honesty.......stupid question alert.......how often do you lube each type of gun? Pistol, AR, shotgun? I hear so many opinions. Only when you clean it? Every time you shoot it?
For my stuff only, because everyone is different.
Shotgun: if I shoot it, I clean it. Just the nature of my beast. Before a match, though, I kinda butter up the bolt a bit
Pistol: About every other match, unless I feel like cleaning it more. Mostly clean bore, (I shoot lead), lube rails, and a drop of oil wherever else I arbitrarily think needs some.
Rifle: This was a learning process. Cleaning like I did in military and then shooting didn't get it. So, I clean about same frequency as pistol, but I lube it up pretty good before a match. I was not taught to lube in the Army. But, except for my M14 match rifle, I rarely shot more than 30 rounds in a day.
Major match: At the end of each day.

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
same here....clean, lube, test fire before every match. during matches everything gets wiped down with a cloth and re-lubed each night.

except for the matches like blue ridge where you are shooting in the rain/sleet. disassembled, wiped down, and lubed between each stage

45recoil

likes to party
I clean/lube before every match as well. But not a complete dissy and clean that ill do a couple times a year. Now that ipl be 3 gunning, ill most likely do the same for shotgun and rifle.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I usually clean when I can't remember the last time I cleaned. I'm a little nicer with oil, I dump some in if it starts feeling funny. Everything gets cleaned before a big match. Shotgun gets cleaned between big matches or every 6 months, whichever comes first.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I figured out a fun way to get the FrogLube out of my bolt and other moving parts. I did several full mag dumps on my full auto lower with a suppressor. Cooked the crap right out of the rifle.

dennishoddy

I'm embarrassed to bring my guns to a match sometimes they are so dirty, but they still run. Keep one of the little needle lube containers in the range bag and lube the necessary parts, and quietly make a promise to my self to thoroughly clean before the next match.

Seems like something always comes up, and here we go again.....

Use Mobil 1 for a general lube.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I have it on fair authority Kroil and Seafoam are nearly identical.... both tend to get under crud and lift it.... neither have viscosity enough to lubricant in a pressure application

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
I use seafoam for a cleaner sometime when my bolt get realy bad. It lifts carbon almost immediately. And whats left I dump in the gas tank of the car. Has anyone tried the lucus stuff for lube?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
hunter_dmw12 said:
I use seafoam for a cleaner sometime when my bolt get realy bad. It lifts carbon almost immediately. And whats left I dump in the gas tank of the car. Has anyone tried the lucus stuff for lube?
Mineral spirits make a great solvent for metal parts and it's cheap. Simple Green makes a very good gun cleaning de greaser too.

I have not tried the Lucas for lubrication...

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I'll boresnake my M&P a couple times after a match. I don't really re-lube often because grease stays in place for a pretty long time. Also those things will run pretty dry.

An in-depth cleaning consists of cleaning out the bore, hosing the inside of the frame down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then putting grease on stuff. I do this every couple months or so I think.

Jeff said:
Simple Green makes a very good gun cleaning de greaser too.
What concentration do you use it at? I've started using a ~1:10 concentration as a general household cleaner. I know a gunsmith who uses the spray bottle stuff but I'm cheap so I'd rather mix it from the jug.

Latest posts