fireclean issues when cold?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
poopgiggle said:
I'll boresnake my M&P a couple times after a match. I don't really re-lube often because grease stays in place for a pretty long time. Also those things will run pretty dry.

An in-depth cleaning consists of cleaning out the bore, hosing the inside of the frame down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then putting grease on stuff. I do this every couple months or so I think.

What concentration do you use it at? I've started using a ~1:10 concentration as a general household cleaner. I know a gunsmith who uses the spray bottle stuff but I'm cheap so I'd rather mix it from the jug.
I stood a ruler against a surplus windex bottle.... marked off 12 spaces (on a diagonal-- old woodworkers trick)... so it's about 1:12 or so. As I recall the instructions recomend about 1:16....

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Tom Koch said:
I have been using ballistol as a cleaner. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so does that mean its a no go??
Ballistol has been around since WW1. A product for the German Army. It's ok... but like any other patented goop it's expensive.

Ballistol will clean and condition leather too.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I use ballistic in my 5.45x39 to neutralize the corrosive ammo remnants. Stuff us a ***** to clean up though. Almost easier to just shoot the rust off every time out rather than try to prevent it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Ryan Muller said:
has anyone had any issues with fireclean.
The stuff worked great all summer when out was nice and hot, but now that it is cold my guns shoot like they are full of syrup after 100 rounds or so. Just curious if this is my culprit or if anyone else has noticed anything similar.
Back to the original question:
Ryan,
Here's a snippet of a promo email I got from Fireclean this week:

[SIZE=10pt]"For cold weather performance testing, one of our range customers froze a chambered Colt 6920 overnight at 15F." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUOuhd-184Ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUOuhd-184A [/SIZE]

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Tom Koch said:
I have been using ballistol as a cleaner. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so does that mean its a no go??
I use Ballistol on my Garand, M1A and anything else that a solvent might screw up the wood on. I clean with Hoppes #9 because I'm impatient but it'll work for a lot of instances. It mixes with water for corrosive milsurp or black powder too. Buy it in the non-aerosol can and it'll go for a long ways.

Latest posts