Etiquette in a match

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Is it ok if you help the squad ahead of you pick up their .38 super brass?
There was one guy who was shooting Lapua brass out of his rifle, then at the end of the match he was walking through every stage he shot his rifle on and tried to find his brass. As he was leaving I overheard him bitching about people taking his brass. Really? Why would you shoot Lapua brass at a 3 gun match if you're concerned about losing it lol.

38 super brass is expensive as hell though. It's like 10mm brass expensive, and finding once fired 38 super is almost impossible. That's the one caliber I rarely see available as once fired.

Rick Howell said:
Is it wrong to help paste and reset for the squad ahead of you?
I've done this several times to help speed up the process when it looked like half their squad was MIA or otherwise occupied.
I would ask them

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
IPSC rules solve this nicely, the only time you're allowed on stage is when it's your squads walkthrough, and when you're next up to shoot.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
slemmo said:
IPSC rules solve this nicely, the only time you're allowed on stage is when it's your squads walkthrough, and when you're next up to shoot.
Ipsc rules on walk through suck balls! You can't show up early and walk stages. The two pan am shotgun matches I've shot were painful. Trying to find 25 shotgun targets hidden in the woods in 5 minutes is impossible. I watch guys like Jerry Miculek take two FTE penalties as a result. Not fun!

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
I think showing up a day early and walking empty stages is perfectly appropriate. Why not just do that instead?

Last year, Micah and I got to a major match a day early and walked empty stages after asking the ROs if it would be okay as a courtesy. When a squad showed up to shoot the ROs asked us to vacate and I thanked them and left. Micah flipped out, ripped his shirt off, started ripping down targets, threw some falling steel over a berm, blew vape smoke in the ROs face and then said "just kidding" and left as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey80

Negative Approach
Josh Cobb said:
I think showing up a day early and walking empty stages is perfectly appropriate. Why not just do that instead?
Last year, Micah and I got to a major match a day early and walked empty stages after asking the ROs if it would be okay as a courtesy. When a squad showed up to shoot the ROs asked us to vacate and I thanked them and left. Micah flipped out, ripped his shirt off, started ripping down targets, threw some falling steel over a berm, blew vape smoke in the ROs face and then said "just kidding" and left as well.
What happens at Cowtown stays at Cowtown

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
Didn't want to name names or anything...

Remember when you stabbed that guy with a mini-popper?

mikey80

Negative Approach
Josh Cobb said:
Didn't want to name names or anything...

Remember when you stabbed that guy with a mini-popper?

that wasn't me

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member

as long as he said just kidding

jtischauser

Josh Cobb said:

Yeah that's how USPSA and every 3-gun match I've been to dies it. IPSC does not allow you in the shooting area until your 5 minute walk through. You can stand behind the fault lines and try to see things it its it even close to the same.

I'm still curious why that rune came to be in Ipsc. Probably issues like the original poster is having with A Holes getting in the way when their not supposed to be there.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Yeah that's how USPSA and every 3-gun match I've been to dies it. IPSC does not allow you in the shooting area until your 5 minute walk through. You can stand behind the fault lines and try to see things it its it even close to the same.

I'm still curious why that rune came to be in Ipsc. Probably issues like the original poster is having with A Holes getting in the way when their not supposed to be there.
That was why I posted this thread. The dudes were getting in the way of myself, along with the other couple on deck shooters before and after me.

Granted these weren't major matches or anything, it was just the irritation of people getting in the way. If I'm on deck, I'm assuming that I can do a full speed run through before the stage is reset, so I'm not anticipating someone else screwing around. I don't want to accidentally run someone over because it's hard for me to change directions at the last minute, and I'm not too small so someone might get hurt.

I'm usually a pretty well mannered person and will just politely let them know that I'm up next. Hopefully they'll all be cool and get out of the way because we're all hopefully out there for the same reason. I know that with the stiffness of the local competition that I've got zero chance of winning, but winning is my goal every time.

jtischauser

DD78 said:
That was why I posted this thread. The dudes were getting in the way of myself, along with the other couple on deck shooters before and after me.

Granted these weren't major matches or anything, it was just the irritation of people getting in the way. If I'm on deck, I'm assuming that I can do a full speed run through before the stage is reset, so I'm not anticipating someone else screwing around. I don't want to accidentally run someone over because it's hard for me to change directions at the last minute, and I'm not too small so someone might get hurt.

I'm usually a pretty well mannered person and will just politely let them know that I'm up next. Hopefully they'll all be cool and get out of the way because we're all hopefully out there for the same reason. I know that with the stiffness of the local competition that I've got zero chance of winning, but winning is my goal every time.
So I must ask would you be in favor of an IPSC type rule of zero walk through a to stop it completely?

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
So I must ask would you be in favor of an IPSC type rule of zero walk through a to stop it completely?
I wouldn't go that far. I just think that people should just avoid interfering with the shooter on deck.

Kind of like how golf has its etiquette: no talking or moving when someone is swinging.

I'm never in favor of more rules. More rules=less fun.

ETA: it's one of those things where the more people let others know to stay out of the way of the on deck shooter, the problem will eventually sort itself out.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:

The best solution would be to allow competitors inside the stage at any time before the match, but then just 5 minutes during the match like it is now, and of course no fooling around inside the stage when another person is preparing his run. If that happens when I'm having my walkthrough I'll just tell the person to get out. If it's a L3 match the RO will give the person a warning.

I think the reason IPSC are so rigid about walkthroughs is because there are still old farts in the game that remember times gone by where IPSC was a lot more practical, with surprise targets, no walkthroughs and so on. I have actually talked to people recently that think having no walkthrough would be a good idea.
Everyone would just be running around the stage like headless chickens trying to find targets........like that would be alot of fun :girlwacko:

mikey80

Negative Approach
When people get in my way during the walk through, I run into them, run them over, tell them to get out of the way, and make them feel unwelcome,

Jason Grant knows what I'm talking about.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
What a fun bunch,I have not shot all that much if you Step in front of a on deck shooter DQ and you go home. Problem no problem.
I've never heard of anyone getting DQ'd over it, but it is "their time" & when you're on deck, you'll have "your time"

Latest posts