Etiquette in a match

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
So I figured I would ask this question, being new to the competitive shooting scene and all.

Is it considered wrong to start working your stage plan on a stage where the squad in front of you isn't done yet?

Here's the reason I ask:

On two separated matches, one a 3 gun the other USPSA, I've seen people in the squad behind the one I'm in, with less shooters have to wait. As I'm on deck, the shooter gets done so I get up to do one final run through as they're scoring and resetting targets, and then find myself trying to do so with douchebags from the group behind. Last week it happened in USPSA, and rather than be a dick, I just said hey guys, do you mind, I'm up next. They gave me a funny look and walked away which is why I'm asking this question.

So what is the agreed upon etiquette? Stay the hell off until the next squad is done, or screw it?

The guys that did it at the 3 gun match did it on nearly every stage which was annoying at best.

I understand being on a smaller squad and being behind a larger squad can suck, but it just seems dickish. It's one thing if you don't get in anyone's way, but that wasn't the case.

Interested in hearing the thoughts of everyone, especially the more experienced people.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Personally I'll walk a stage any chance I get as long as I'm not cock blocking somebody else that's gotta shoot it before me. If there is a squad ahead I'll walk and reset with them if it gets me a few more visuals of the stage.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
The people running walk through after walk through are the problem and most likely the ones holding the squad up. In my opinion once stage is started. The only ones running walk throughs should be the shooter the guy on deck. The previous shooter is loading mags. Everyone else should be resetting. The past few USPSA matches I've been to there has been a lot of waiting because of inefficient squads.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
It adds confusion for sure. Some RO's will ask them to leave the stage but that is rare because of touch feely political correctness for the most part.

I am a firm believer that you stay off the stage until the other squad is finished.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
The 3 gun match that I referred to in my OP was far worse than anything I experienced at the USPSA matches I've shot in.

A very small part of the reason I posted this thread, is because a couple of the members from here were the ones that were doing it at the 3 gun match, and hopefully they'll read this thread.

I don't know who they were exactly, and I wouldn't volunteer that information if I knew it because I'm not that kind of guy, but guys, please stay out of the way of the on deck shooter. Imagine if you were getting ready to shoot a stage and someone from the squad behind you is doing the same thing getting in your way. It was a hot, humid, and miserable sort of day, and the stage that it happened the worst on was the second to last stage. I remember our squad going to the last stage and everyone complaining about it.

For me, it helps if I do a full speed dry run as I'm waiting for the squad to finish resetting the stage, and when people are in my way, I can't do that.

I like what Jesse said in that he's helping out and at the same time getting a feel for the stage. Nothing wrong with doing that because it's helping speed the squad up. I've shot on squads where I go out to paste targets, and I'm the only guy out there. That didn't happen that day so it wasn't our squad that was slow, we just had 4-5 more shooters.

I actually like just standing there watching the other shooters because it gives me a general idea on the positions that most are shooting from.

We're all out there to have fun. Let's make sure that we're not doing anything to impact someone else's fun. I shot like crap that day, but still had a good time. The only negative were the guys getting in my way on every stage. I shot first on the first stage so I was bringing up the rear on the remaining stages and was affected the most by this, but so were the other guys on my squad.

The very next match I shot in was the USPSA match where I asked the guys "do you mind, I'm up next". I think I'll keep doing that because it's not really a GTFO of here, but a nice tap on the shoulder. I know how people can become babies, so you have to coddle them a bit.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
wixthedog said:
It adds confusion for sure. Some RO's will ask them to leave the stage
I will definitely tell them to wait until we're done. But like Jesse said, I'm guilty of walking onto a stage before the previous squad clears as well. I definitely don't get upset when they let me know about it though.

Wall said:
I will definitely tell them to wait until we're done. But like Jesse said, I'm guilty of walking onto a stage before the previous squad clears as well. I definitely don't get upset when they let me know about it though.
And experienced guys like you that do **** like this is the main reason there's a problem at all.

I let the ****ers have it.
That's my squad and that's our stage

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
mcyrwus said:
And experienced guys like you that do **** like this is the main reason there's a problem at all.

I let the ****ers have it.
That's my squad and that's our stage
You're absolutely right, & I when I do it its just without even thinking about it. Which is why I don't get upset when I get yelled at, I deserve it.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If people are being rude and getting in the way don't hesitate to ask them firmly to GTFO. If they don't listen I'd get the RO or RM to move the off.

That said some big natural terrain 3-gun stages have enough room for 2 squads to do walk through a at the same time. So I wouldn't raise hell with anyone just cause it wasn't their turn. I'd raise hell if they impede my time or anyone on my squads time to walk through.

It's simply courtesy.

mikey80

Negative Approach
I always dime them out in front of everybody if it's a Level 2 or 3 match because people know better than to do that ****. I'll call them down like dogs.

At the club level, I don't see it really being a problem from my experience, but when I do see it, I will loudly, and politely tell them in the kindest way possible to **** off and wait.

At Level 2+ matches, I always catch someone walking the stage that they have to shoot first on. If they're in my division, I'm gonna embarrass them in front of everyone.

But after all of that, this is not a problem I regularly encounter and the last time was Area 4 2014 when I dined out my friend from Dallas.

And you know what? My friend didn't mind at all and got off the stage. All is well.

Keep doing what you're doing and time in sport doesn't matter.

Tell Jesse and Tony, et al. to **** off. Do it right, and you won't have to do it again.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I've been told to leave a stage when I got there a little early . Didn't bother me a bit.

I was on someone else's stage. Their call.

His initials were Tony Wall.

posted via Tapatalk

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Is it wrong to help paste and reset for the squad ahead of you?
I've done this several times to help speed up the process when it looked like half their squad was MIA or otherwise occupied.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick Howell said:
Is it wrong to help paste and reset for the squad ahead of you?
I've done this several times to help speed up the process when it looked like half their squad was MIA or otherwise occupied.
I'm sure that is appreciated.

mikey80

Negative Approach
Jesse Tischauser said:
Is it ok if you help the squad ahead of you pick up their .38 super brass?
Pick up brass after the match is over and equipment is loaded on the war wagon. Unless you're at Rio Grande Practical Shooter's where they police brass as they go.

Brass whoring is the MD's call.

Latest posts