Eric Gambill Shooting Log

12 on 1 ratio? did he have any assistants or helpers? Do you wish you had more of his ear during the class? Did you ask more questions compered to other students or about average?

Airic

I shoot.
R.Pullicar.jr said:
So all in all would you take the class again? I ask because I'm probably going to take his class in November.
Yes, and I probably am going to take another from him.

mike cyrwus said:
12 on 1 ratio? did he have any assistants or helpers? Do you wish you had more of his ear during the class? Did you ask more questions compered to other students or about average?
No assistants. It was a big class but I felt I got plenty of time to talk to Ben about anything I wanted to.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
did you get it set up? wheres it at, the club?
He has a class listed on his site for okc in November. I contacted him yesterday he said he forgot to change the status to full. So looks like we need to find a few more people and setup another class

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
Whos in the class?!?! I'm not sure who got in. If you guys want I'll contact him again I have three people including myself that want to take it. Maybe we can get another lines up soon.

Airic

I shoot.
Back home and time for a review. This was the first major shooting the CZ. Overall I felt like I shot a really good match. I am happy with the points I shot and the speed at which I shot them. I feel like I was moving very well during the stages. My transitions were spot on and my reloads felt really good. The only time I got hung up was when I only had a step or so to the next position and had to do a reload.

60 points in penalties killed me. Had 3 mikes, two on paper and one on steel. Caught a no shoot (one of the barely cut the line so I still got the alpha types). I threw a shot on stage 13 and made it up which got me a procedural for an extra shot. I dont really consider that a penalty because it gave me a higher hit factor but I wouldnt have happened if I didnt throw the mike. On the paper mikes, I came in really weird on the max trap on stage 7 and threw a shot. Didnt make it up because the time to take the headshot would have cost me more match points. The other mike was on stage 9 where I just transitioned before I broke the shot. The mike on steel came on the donut stage. For some weird reason I cant explain I smoked 4 of the poppers and took off (FTE). I'm gonna chock that one up to lack of preparation on my stage plan. I had 4 makeup shots on steel. One of those I made up on the move to the next position so it didnt hurt as bad.

Had a really good time hanging out with the OKC area guys. Looking forward to shooting with them again this weekend at the sectional. Here's the vid:

http://youtu.be/5-W1KNEnXD4?list=UUjRIo1mEUZo-IZE1EscMsdQ

Airic

I shoot.
Had a really good practice yesterday and final practice this morning before I leave for the sectional tomm. Worked on exploding out of a position as soon as the final shot is fired and setting up wide on tight positions. I set some pretty tight penalty targets in my arrays but I kept them close (5-7yds). I really wanted to see how fast I could push the sight picture on those tight shots that close. I wasnt disappointed.

One thing I noticed. On my fastest move times I really felt like I threw a mike on the final shot. I called the shot, but because I was breaking out of the position while the gun was recoiling up...I had a weird sensation that I missed. I never did. Guess I need to work that more to get comfortable with it.

Took my last rounds and ran some bill drills at 5 yds. My intention was to keep rounds on the target and run the gun as fast as I could. I think I stated before that I have been having problems getting my splits under .19/.20 with the CZ. First run out of the holster was 1.72 with a .13, .14 and .14 split in there. I'm gonna have to credit that to Ben, he really worked us on keeping a comfortable grip with the strong hand to run the trigger but crushing the gun with the weak hand. It takes some getting used to, but it has really increased my accuracy at speed and my trigger control.

Airic

I shoot.
Just noticed that I havent written in here since before the state match. That match was the last big one of the season for me and I ended on a good note. Winning the state championship was a great end to shooting production for me. It was a long time goal finally accomplished.

Now on to bigger and hopefully better things. I have two club matches in limited under my belt. Both matches I was HOA. I have done 2 15 min dryfire sessions with the limited gun since I switched. Its off season for me now and I'm focusing on other things that make me happy. I am having a blast in limited though, every stage has been fun. I told Micah Saturday that it felt like freedom to shoot limited.

There is a lot of room for improvement with this limited gun. I'm really rough around the edges with it because I have never shot a 2011 before. I anticipate I will probably get back to training soon just because I see so much potential with this gun. I'm excited to see what I can do with it.

I'm running the load I developed for Seth. It's a 220gr X-Treme bullet and a rediculously low amount of Titegroup to make major. The load shoots FLAT.

Airic

I shoot.
Off-Season is over. Its time to get back to work.

I'll start my pre-season work pretty much like I have before: working on the fundementals. This is especially important this time considering I'm using a 2011 platform that I barely have any experience with. I'll be working out of Stoegers newest dryfire book (the red one). All of my drills will come from the first three blocks...Learning Drills, Marksmanship Training and Core USPSA skills. I'm gonna go about two months on this matrix before implementing any drills that are more field course specific. This is the matrix I wrote out (by page number from the book, I'm too lazy to type all the names out):

14, 41
30, 43
17, 45
32, 47
20, 49
34, 51
23, 53
36, 55
26, 57
12, 59

A couple of notes on this matrix. Learning Drills and Marksmanship Training combined only have 10 drills. I picked 10 from Core USPSA Skills and then alternated the first two with a Core USPSA drill. This gives me 10 sets of two drills to work every session. I'll probably go through the matrix twice in a month. There are no set amount of repetitions for each drill, I was just going to work each one for 15 mins giving me a 30 min session. I dont really want to go much longer than that. I wont be doing any serious live fire practice until it warms up, I really hate shooting in the cold.

I'm not setting any huge goals for the season. The only thing I want to see is an improvement in my match accuracy and minimizing extra shots. I want it to be easy for me to shoot 93% of the available points at a match.

Airic

I shoot.
Spent a little study time tonight watching Limited GMs to see what I'm getting myself into. Of course I had to start with Nils because he's the champ right now. After watching some of his vids I came away a little confused. He shoots ALOT of extra shots. He's whipping the crap out of everyone and I swear he shoots like 20+ extra shots a match. You just didnt see that in the big guns in production. You rarely see an extra shot come from the production "super GMs". The other thing I noticed was his split times. They seemed very slow. Not just on penalty targets but open as well. I thought everyone just ripped in Limited? lol

Limited seems to be a whole different ballgame.

Also spent some time adjusting my gear and figuing out where everything needs to be. I noticed that I need the CR Speed holster pretty far forward on the belt compared to where my production holster was. The freeking beavertail on a 2011 is huge and I kept hitting it or getting stuck on it when I tried to draw. When I moved the holster forward it allowed me to sweep under it easier. Now if I can just stop forgetting about the thumb safety...

45recoil

likes to party
If you run the boss hanger, you can tilt the holster a bit forward so you can get high under the beavertail. I had the same issue until i adjusted it. Just a idea buddy

Airic

I shoot.
So its been a good start to 2015 so far. Took HOA at the ITPSC USPSA and DoubleTap IDPA.

I'm not really doing any live fire practice right now but it was such a nice day that I decided to go to the range. Specifically I wanted to test the CZ. Seems like everyone online says that a CZ shoots more accurate with 124gr range bullets than the bigger bullets like 147gr or 165gr.

I wanted to go test it myself. I also wanted to see what the relative accuracy difference between the CZ 75 and my G34 with a stock barrel.

At 25yds, my regular 130pf X-Treme 165gr Production load was way more accurate than the 135pf 124gr load I put together today. It wasnt even close. So that question is answered.

I then shot the G34 against the CZ75 at dots, 5 yards. The red dot is my point of aim. Heres the results:

thumb_pre_1422322666__20150126_192254.jpg

thumb_pre_1422323425__20150126_192306.jpg

thumb_pre_1422323491__20150126_192315.jpg

thumb_pre_1422323588__20150126_192335.jpg

Accuracy difference?

Airic

I shoot.
Had a decent day with the limited gun today. I seem to be getting more used to it even though I'm really not practicing with it yet. I have been focusing on other training goals with another gun.

Shot 94% of the points before the mike I had, ended up with 92% of the available points. I had a lot of trouble on steel (plates) today because the STI just has a different sight picture than the CZ and Glocks I have shot. I was hitting the stand on all the plates because I was aiming lower third on the plates like I always have. The STI is a cover the target with the sights gun. If I was actually live firing practice with the gun I would know that but...I'll get there.

Speed wise, I couldn't ask for better. It's coming along nicely. My reloads are absolutely horrible though, but that's an easy fix when I start focusing on this gun in dryfire. Just need to get through March and I'm focusing on the high cap guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgwDVv1CcnQ

Airic

I shoot.
I have been informed by X-Treme Bullets that they will not be renewing my sponsorship contract. So I will not be representing them this season.

It was a good year being apart of the team. I like the bullets they make and will continue to use them when I can. I never had any problems with their products.

When one door closes, another one usually opens. I will continue to work hard and strive to be a better shooter. I will continue to help people that come to me asking for it.

Latest posts