Educate me on AK47/74 rifles

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I figure since every other spam email I get now is some super discount on an AR or AK I figure it's probably time to stock up. I don't own and AK47 or 74 but I think I need me one or both.

So please educate me. What makes a good AK (if that's possible) versus a bad AK. Can I buy one of these $329 AK's from my inbox and defend my home when the SHTF or will it just be an expensive club come judgement day?

I see century Arms is making a made in 'Mericuh AK. What's the deal on those?

Any help would be appreciated. Any sarcasm will also be appreciated when I wasting time in the bathroom.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
The only thing I remember from when I was in the market for one was is a a milled frame or a stamped. Milled is more expensive where stamped parts are of course cheaper. As for if your email ones for 300 are a good buy probably not I mean you get what you pay for with everything. But some things to look for are is it a fix stock, folding, AR collapsing style. Does it have synthetic furniture over wood what type of would do you like on it you can buy after market furniture kits.

Over all you should be looking at 500-700 range for a decent AK not sure now considering you have that import ban of Russian made rifles. But if I am not mistaken a American made stamped ak is just a American company that just put together a imported parts kit I could be wrong.

Grant

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a wasr 10 against all common wisdom but it was cheap. Cleaned it, lubed it up, put an ak74 7.62 brake on and abused it some. Somewhat more accurate than I thought it would be canted front sight base and all. Real reliable but you need to warn people not to stand to the right of ejection port. And it got hot as hell after just a couple boxes of shells. Cheap ammo is a plus and I don't feel bad about any dings I put on it cause its plain ugly. Jmho.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Check out Nate's response when I asked this question.

I ended up with an Egyptian Maadi brought into the country sans trigger group by Century. I would only buy something Century actually assembled if I inspected it first.

Rifles are brought in as "kits," a more appropriate definition IMHO is demilled collection of stuff without a barrel.

My next AK will either be a WASR that I can inspect myself or something from two rivers.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I used to have a Yugo underfolder. It was super reliable but accuracy past 50 yards was **** and the underfolder stock, although tactically badass, was really uncomfortable.

I don't think I would ever get another AK just cause I don't think they're that great of a rifle, but if I did, I would get one with a solid stock on it.

My father in law has one and they do get hot as shiot!!! I don't know if its any better since he had rails installed so he could add a red dot, but I would buy one with rails if at all possible

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I picked up an IOI Inc a few years ago when I decided I needed to go to a Larry Vickers AK Class (well worth the money and is my current profile pic). I was debating on buying a pre-ban Maadi from a buddy but I knew I would be changing stocks, grip, sights and a few other things so I didn't want to do that to a "nice" AK. I have been pretty happy with it and the only issue was the dust cover would pop loose. A simple tweek to the rear of the cover seemed to fix that issue.

I am running both US Palm mags and a one Circle 10. I had a brand new US Palm mag fail on the first loading. Feed lip split. They replaced it.

If I was going to spend real good money on an AK, Rifle Dynamics. But since I am not a highspeed gunfighter, my IOI is jst fine.

Like most have said, Century can be hit or miss. It is best to get your hands on one and make sure the mag opening is done correct, the sights are in the right place, and nothing else really jacked up. Pretty much every AK47/74 is made here now or converted here. I would try and get a chrome lined barrel too.

the 74's were great when you could buy 1080 rounds of commie bastard ammo for 1/16th of what your sunglasses cost. Some ass decided to make some 74's pistols and .gov said no more cheap ap ammo imports.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I think AK prices have jumped up a bit due to Russian ban that was announced. All prices jumped up even though only Saiga/Vepr is affected

There are a bunch of questions that need to be answered.
What your price range?
Wood or plastic furniture? I'm old school and like wood myself
Fixed stock, Underfolder, Side folder? I'm not a UF fan myself. I have on and it's bc kinda hard to find. Have plenty of the other types.
Stamped or miller receiver? It's kinda like forged or billet lowers on ARs.

The thing about 5.45 is the mags cost a good bit more than the 7.62 mags. A lot of people like the corrosive steel core ammo but I hate the idea of always having to clean rifle right after shooting. Granted you can get Wolf 5.45 for $.23 a round right now

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
te2a9u5y.jpg

I've been debating on selling these 2 myself

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I am thinking at getting a 47 as well. One thing that I have come across is that some milled receivers will not accept after market stocks. The Yugo PAPs need some receiver adapter.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'm thinking cheap as possible as long as it works. Not too concerned about furniture or stock although this type if gun is isisy more of an ATAS show piece toy for my none shooting friends and relatives. So I'd like it to have some shock and awe value on the coolnes scale. I'm guessing that's a dude or under folder stock maybe?

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Buy one, bring it to USSA on August 30th, and spend the day getting learned up by a former Russian paratrooper turned US citizen.

Kirill Gromov is teaching a one day AK course that should get you started going the right direction on your panicked hip shooting. You might also pick up a few phrases that neither you nor the zombies will understand, but which will surely sound intimidating as all hell over the din of your com bloc blaster making some hate.

Seriously, though: If you pick one up, Kirill can show you how to run it.

Fleche

Well-Known Fanatic

Latest posts