ED Brown Evolution Series

aaronsappl

Fanatic
I received this email from Ed Brown yesterday. They have announced a new 4 inch 9mm 1911. Not a fan of the external extractor but the price is attractive at $1895, no options. Buy from a dealer and that price gets around $1700. They will be built in batches. I have owned 2 EB's and still own one. I have been impressed with there reliability. Post any opinions on there new offer.

https://www.edbrown.com/evo/

aaronsappl

Fanatic
Bender, I really don't like external extractor on 1911 type pistols. I love WC but there double stack X9 didn't make me want to buy one. If this 1911 is built like the other EB products, I am intrigued at that price. Would be a good price for someone not wanting to spend $3-4000 on a semi-custom.

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
Got the same E mail, Intresting, probably would be all in on trying one out in .45
But I'm hesitant in 9, (only because It's A consolidation and simplification thing).
Now maybe a question for our knowledgeable ones? is it easier production
And function wise for an external extractor and the 9mm cartridge?
Also demensionally ad/email says pistol is lighter and narrower?

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm rather perplexed, trying to figure out why this model was marketed. Guncrafter, Nighthawk, & Wilson have brought commander size double stacks to the market to compete with the polymer guns in the 9 mm caliber. Why Brown chose to market a single stack is rather confusing to me this day in age. I do not own, but I have handle & shot Guncrafter and Nighthawk's double stacks. The dimensions of these are phenomenal and they feel muck better than an STI double stack

aaronsappl

Fanatic
I think Boatdoc might be right. Not trying to compete with the double stacks. But they are a $1000 cheaper than WC X9. I think they are going for that market, LB and DW owners and other owners not wanting to fork out $3000 or more for a semi-custom. DW owners like to compare there pistol's to the EB Kobra Carry for way less money.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I just don't see the evolutionary traits of this Evolution model.
Others are bringing innovation to the market. Brown is just bringing a cheaper, single stack model with an external extractor?

I just don't understand this model when double stacks are selling like hot cakes.

Last edited:

aaronsappl

Fanatic
I guess I just don't see the evolutionary traits of this Evolution model.
Others are bringing innovation to the market. Brown is just bringing a cheaper, single stack model with an external extractor?

I just don't understand this model when double stacks are selling like hot cakes.

I can't argue this at all. I was just wondering what other people was thinking about this new offering.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
It's different. I kinda like the styling. Blasted Browns always green good in the hand, kinda velvet like texture. It's not a bad looking gun, I guess I just got to thinking about it's place in the market.

I'm not against the EE, I have had a Sig and a Kimber with external extractors. They shot and ejected very well.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Call me a traditionalist, but the external extractor is a deal breaker for me.

I was thinking of a DW vigil but this is very interesting.

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson Vigil Government model. LW Government models are a bit of a rarity. I'm very pleased with mine, she carries quite well in a IWB Milt Sparks Criterion or Versa Max II holster.

DMILLER

New Fanatic
If I was interested in a 9mm carry, I'd be all over it. As I already have a Sig 1911, the external extractor is a non issue.