E-BAY???

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So did you ever buy from E-bay?

I have for years without any problems. :oops:
Just last week I proved my point. Buyer beware, if it looks too good to be true, You know all the warnings.

I believed that was true & followed my own advice until I didn't.

I ordered 2 Felco F7 pruners at $40.00 a pruner. They cost $77.00 in many shops.
Well I got fakes for sure. Now just wait a minute.

I broke the no rules clause, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. :eek: Sometimes LOL

The fakes I got, note the screw on the fakes holding the blade? The real Mcoys are pinned.
The FELCO was not stamped many tells after you got to looking. The blade screw Felco never
used a screw ever. The Counterfitters are good, just not good enough.

Just like the picture on the dealers sales site my photos show a much different
set of pruners than he was selling.
I would have been refunded by E-Bay if the dealer would not give my money back.
Not the point my time was wasted having to deal with FAKES!

What have you found on E-Bay & did you do you homework on the dealers?

Both checks I did not do because I wanted to save $$$ I leaped before I looked LOL
Do you buy from e-bay at all? I will I have saved too much in past to not.

IMG_20210128_104035169.jpgIMG_20210128_105214968.jpg

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've bought quite a few things off ebay . 90 % went fine . But , there are some dishonest sellers out there . What I ran in to was the cost of shipping something back wasn't worth it . A good friend really got burned due to a dishonest seller , but that one's a long story .

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems to be a more common occurance than before? My wife recently got burned, not too badly cost wise, but the items she received were definitely not as pictured or advertised. Bunch of chinese bs, is what she received.
Sorry you got scammed. Quite a difference looking at the pictures

Big Biscuit

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, I am the King of Ebay.
Ok, maybe a crowned prince.

Not without some bumps along the way though. I'm guilty of hitting the "bid now" button before doing diligence.

Normally I take the time to review the seller's feedback. Then I look at all of the other auctions for the same product to make sure that I get the best product at the lowest bid start. This is an important consideration because many times I locate an item that is in better condition or a newer model with improvements.

My wife jokingly says that I wear "dead man's clothes " because my big thing is Duluth Trading men's clothes. Used clothing.

Very seldom do I buy new stuff from Ebay auction. We usually check Amazon and beat the "Buy it now" pricing of Ebay.

This sounds like a lot of work but I look at it more like a hobby in itself.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Yes, I am the King of Ebay.
Ok, maybe a crowned prince.

Not without some bumps along the way though. I'm guilty of hitting the "bid now" button before doing diligence.

Normally I take the time to review the seller's feedback. Then I look at all of the other auctions for the same product to make sure that I get the best product at the lowest bid start. This is an important consideration because many times I locate an item that is in better condition or a newer model with improvements.

My wife jokingly says that I wear "dead man's clothes " because my big thing is Duluth Trading men's clothes. Used clothing.

Very seldom do I buy new stuff from Ebay auction. We usually check Amazon and beat the "Buy it now" pricing of Ebay.

This sounds like a lot of work but I look at it more like a hobby in itself.
Dead mans clothes LOL ;) I like that & all the pre worn Made in USA Levi's I have scored over the years on e-bay.

As for the rest of the story I looked at some online outlet stores for the Felco pruners & got both the right & left handed models for under $60.00 each
& it has an address prunerswarehoue.com. Sometimes E-bay is not the place to buy.

I have dealt with people I would never have met in my lifetime on e-Bay, found deals I never knew existed so hell yea I am an E-bay addict.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I've done over 840 deals on FleaBay. Used to sell guitar parts and pieces there. Only had one really bad experience. Times they are a changin, more and more scams everywhere daily

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Used to buy a fair amount there, (mostly m/c parts) until I got burned. I used Paypal to pay for a book,+ shipping. Book was never sent. No response from seller. Paypal (owned by ebay @ the time) did nothing to settle my claim. I was glad it was for a small amount. After my incident (which had me DONE with Ebay & Paypal) I've read about sellers getting burned by purchasers, & buyers getting burned by sellers, for large amounts of money. Now it's Craigslist for me, for face to face deals, or Amazon..who has made good on any issues I've had with purchases.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Buy and sell often and been on the sight since the late 90s, I've had a few issues once here and there but no more than any other retail situation.

I guess I've been fairly lucky but I'm into numismatics and eBay is one of the best resources to find what I'm collecting, fairly safe and I only buy coins graded by PCGS so it's pretty secure. I've had more trouble with the postal service than eBay sellers!

$400 graded coin smashed by the postal service!! It was packaged very well too, they crushed the box, the padding, the cardboard wrapped around it and the coin case enough to where it destroyed the value (scratched the coin)
1CDEABDE-20FB-42D2-8578-A3E71C092B07.jpeg

Most recent "problem" I've had was a coin I've been searching for for quite some time (years) popped up as an auction. I contacted the seller and asked him if he would change it to a BIN at what I was willing to pay? Trying to follow eBays rules and be honest! He agreed to my price which was fairly generous.
Well he messaged me that he would do it right away and by the time I got the message from their system he cancelled the auction, relisted it and another person (dealer) bought it before it even showed up for me!!! So trying to do the right thing lost me a very scarce coin that I've been searching for!
He thought I was the purchaser but my deal was basically stolen from me because of being honest.
I asked him to contact the buyer and explain that it was already sold in an agreed upon deal but he wouldn't do anything to stop the sale and honor our original deal! I was very upset and won't let it happen again, I've got other ideas to follow the rules and still work a deal if agreed to by both parties!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I guess I've been fairly lucky but I'm into numismatics and eBay is one of the best resources to find what I'm collecting, fairly safe and I only buy coins graded by PCGS so it's pretty secure. I've had more trouble with the postal service than eBay sellers!

You know the secret as do I.

E-Bay is like every other world market I have shopped just beware the, "too, good to be true" Because it often is not true.
This guy I bought from signed in Dec. 2020 & had 3 reviews. Often if a dealer refunds your money you just let it go.
This lugnut told me how sorry he was that someone put the wrong Felco pruners in my pkg. What someone put the fakes
in my box instead of the real Felcos because I was stupid? Well I'll take that & walk with it I did everything wrong!

However I am going to send this guy packing if I can.

That's when the .22 LR spits stuff back in your eye when you aren't wearing your shooting glasses o_O
I just thought I would post a bare ass moment showing my Karma at it's best.

Happy to see you all using e-bay wisely & saving bucks, but I really like the fact we can find things we could never find
from any other format. I find stuff all over the world, now that beats the ol sears catalog of days gone by.

As for the USPS they suck!!!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed! I found a link for a watch that Red gave me over on Addicts in England! After looking for some time, it was the only place I found one.
Same concept as everywhere brother! Buy once, cry once. Buyer beware. Too good to be true. You know all the sayings and they're all correct!!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have found & bought Nikkor Glass for my Nikons over in Japan @ camera stores & saved BOO COO bucks over stateside prices.

Computer parts from CHINA saved soo much :eek: Before ABC came into being. Now we have all the rest of the world to shop.
I am going to start selling this year thinning all the acorns we have been storing for all these long years.

Too bad they don't sell 1911s on e-bay.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I have found & bought Nikkor Glass for my Nikons over in Japan @ camera stores & saved BOO COO bucks over stateside prices.

Computer parts from CHINA saved soo much :eek: Before ABC came into being. Now we have all the rest of the world to shop.
I am going to start selling this year thinning all the acorns we have been storing for all these long years.

Too bad they don't sell 1911s on e-bay.
Too bad you can't sell and ship 1911s world wide! Some of the nicer stuff would bring some yuuuge money!

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
$400 graded coin smashed by the postal service!! It was packaged very well too, they crushed the box, the padding, the cardboard wrapped around it and the coin case enough to where it destroyed the value (scratched the coin)
Did the USPS pay damages? I would rather pay more for the private carriers than waste more money on USPS!!!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Did the USPS pay damages? I would rather pay more for the private carriers than waste more money on USPS!!!
Actually no, the seller refunded me and took it back!! Made my end very easy. One of the best sellers I've ever worked with and I've continued to buy from him ever since for that very reason.

Edit: that's another one that took me over a year to find a replacement in that grade! There are only 42 graded ms68 out of 3,080,000 and 70 is the highest grade (perfect coin) even most proof coins don't grade 70

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Actually no, the seller refunded me and took it back!! Made my end very easy. One of the best sellers I've ever worked with and I've continued to buy from him ever since for that very reason.

Edit: that's another one that took me over a year to find a replacement in that grade! There are only 42 graded ms68 out of 3,080,000 and 70 is the highest grade (perfect coin) even most proof coins don't grade 70
Over a friken year of your life without a thought of the trouble it cost you. :mad: MAD. Ya think?

By sending FED-X or UPS I am not rewarding the USPS for not doing a good job with tax payer $$.
Remember what the USPS did around late Oct & Nov? 2 weeks for my pkgs to get to Cal or back. South Fla over a week that's not good service
it was Political BS that interfered with my service & $. So what's there excuse today for their lousey service?

I know some places use USPS only, only if you don't say, I will buy elsewhere if you won't ship my way. Works great for me.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I've bought and sold a few things on eBay back in the day... Mostly old 35mm SLR camera gear (Canon AE-1, lenses, filters, etc..). Nowadays, you can't even give that stuff away, as everything is digital, and the "old school" film cameras are, sadly, a thing of the past.

The only bad experience (well, an annoyance, but I'll deal with it..) was when I bought a Ping headcover for my 21° Hybrid club (Ping). It was the exact OEM headcover for the golf club. But, the photos didn't match the condition. It was extremely worn, very well used, etc... and NOT brand new.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
"Dead mans clothes LOL ;) I like that & all the pre worn Made in USA Levi's I have scored over the years on e-bay."

I hate to admit this but when I was young I could feel the monthly drain on my funds from my firearms addiction and with four kids I had to make every dollar count so I went to church rummage sales and bought a lifetime supply for quality slightly used dress shirts and clothing For an average $.50 per shirt that new would have cost $50-$80 each. I bought about 200+ over time and spent $100 +/- on clothing for the last 30+ Years, use 10 at a time till I wear them out and turn them in to work shirts, then gun rags, then bore patches.

I have not (my wife has not) bought me anything but socks and underwear for 30 + years and every "wardrobe dollar" went into guns and ammo

just say'n

woodlands747

Well-Known Fanatic
So @Mike A1 ....... Did you get your money back from eBay? Should not be an issue if they are fake. Just file a case with eBay.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
So did you ever buy from E-bay?

I have for years without any problems. :oops:
Just last week I proved my point. Buyer beware, if it looks too good to be true, You know all the warnings.

I believed that was true & followed my own advice until I didn't.

I ordered 2 Felco F7 pruners at $40.00 a pruner. They cost $77.00 in many shops.
Well I got fakes for sure. Now just wait a minute.

I broke the no rules clause, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. :eek: Sometimes LOL

The fakes I got, note the screw on the fakes holding the blade? The real Mcoys are pinned.
The FELCO was not stamped many tells after you got to looking. The blade screw Felco never
used a screw ever. The Counterfitters are good, just not good enough.

Just like the picture on the dealers sales site my photos show a much different
set of pruners than he was selling.
I would have been refunded by E-Bay if the dealer would not give my money back.
Not the point my time was wasted having to deal with FAKES!

What have you found on E-Bay & did you do you homework on the dealers?

Both checks I did not do because I wanted to save $$$ I leaped before I looked LOL
Do you buy from e-bay at all? I will I have saved too much in past to not.

View attachment 7095View attachment 7096
That's not the only knock offs on ebay, there are thousands, and where did they come from? You guessed it. cheeena. Bottom line with ebay is buyer beware. Most of the time you can get your money back without too much hassle. But it takes time, & they hope you will just go away. Unless the seller has good reviews and located in the US, beware.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Buy and sell often and been on the sight since the late 90s, I've had a few issues once here and there but no more than any other retail situation.

View attachment 7109

Most recent "problem" I've had was a coin I've been searching for for quite some time (years) popped up as an auction. I contacted the seller and asked him if he would change it to a BIN at what I was willing to pay? Trying to follow eBays rules and be honest! He agreed to my price which was fairly generous.
Well he messaged me that he would do it right away and by the time I got the message from their system he cancelled the auction, relisted it and another person (dealer) bought it before it even showed up for me!!! So trying to do the right thing lost me a very scarce coin that I've been searching for!
He thought I was the purchaser but my deal was basically stolen from me because of being honest.
I asked him to contact the buyer and explain that it was already sold in an agreed upon deal but he wouldn't do anything to stop the sale and honor our original deal! I was very upset and won't let it happen again, I've got other ideas to follow the rules and still work a deal if agreed to by both parties!
I bought a Morgan silver dollar on ebay... My magnet sticks great to it.. The weight was off also. Buyer beware.

Latest posts