DW Guardian ETF need help

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
New to me used DW guardian not running right . Every other mag thru it a bullet will not feed into the camber , as if the bullet is to long to camber . The ejected round is fine when I run it thru my PM-9 . Also have had empty cases stuck in camber after round fired , have to rod it out . I shot reloads ,tried both my 147 and 124 bullet weights in it same results . 124 with 3.9 titegroup 1.12 oal . runs fine in the PM9 but the guardian is troublesome . Slide not going into battery - need new spring? what weight recoil spring ? Case stuck in camber - extractor problem ? When a mag runs thru it and all 10 rounds go off right ,pistol is great accurate and feels great . Also tried all my mags DW , Corba etc not a mag problem . Any insight - Thanks

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
What bullet ogive? Sounds like hitting lands what about factory ball ammo?

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
the 124 is-campro - copper plate round nose , 147 berry bullet round nose flat point . I have not run factory ammo that will be next .I do not know what the meaning of "hitting lands "is ? Thanks

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
It'shard to believe factory ball was not tried? Have a hunch you may find the issue. To long even though will fit magazine the wrong ogive for your barrel chamber (shape of bullet)

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
the 124 is-campro - copper plate round nose , 147 berry bullet round nose flat point . I have not run factory ammo that will be next .I do not know what the meaning of "hitting lands "is ? Thanks
took down both the guardian and the pm-9 -chamber check the rounds in barrels, both the pm-9 and dillion chamber check would eat all my 124 and 147 but the Guardian would not . Made up a batch of 124 with reduced oal down to 1.09-1.1 and good for the Guardian on the drop in test . Range night Monday shall see if she runs!

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
no factory on hand ,have not bought factory in over 5 years , Most ammo/gun needs are online orders in Canada -reloading is the best for me

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I would beg borrow steal some just to try it to check your issues. Each to own just my thoughts there.

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
ran 120 rounds thru it this eve at ppc - one eft with the short round nose 124 re-loads -seems like I am on the right path to a fix , pistol is good needs the right ammo

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounding like wrong ogive for barrel or to long even though will gage and fit mags

wxl

Fanatic
New to me used DW guardian not running right . Every other mag thru it a bullet will not feed into the camber , as if the bullet is to long to camber . The ejected round is fine when I run it thru my PM-9 . Also have had empty cases stuck in camber after round fired , have to rod it out . I shot reloads ,tried both my 147 and 124 bullet weights in it same results . 124 with 3.9 titegroup 1.12 oal . runs fine in the PM9 but the guardian is troublesome . Slide not going into battery - need new spring? what weight recoil spring ? Case stuck in camber - extractor problem ? When a mag runs thru it and all 10 rounds go off right ,pistol is great accurate and feels great . Also tried all my mags DW , Corba etc not a mag problem . Any insight - Thanks

Use your barrel for plunk test (case gauge) to check the OAL.

mplazz

Fanatic
I have the same story. My Guardian has 'nose dives'. I am still trying to work it out. Tried different mags, different ammo. Its gotten better, the more i shoot but still have the issue sometimes. Err.

Garrett Opolko

Fanatic
I have DW Guardian and it runs smooth as can be with all factory ammo. They tell you to shoot only ball ammo for the first 500 round and clean it after every 50 rounds and then you can shoot hp. Its what I did and it feeds everything I put in a mag. I also have a few Wilson mags. Hope this helps.

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
Thanks - yes ball works better ,the 147 flat point are problems . I have some more 124 round nose on the way will try some more reloads at 1.1 oal . The pistol is used told less than 500 rounds thru it so it should be broken in .

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
Sometimes simplicity is best. I own 16+ 1911s and have never had a gun as fussy w/ ammo as what your telling us here. My suggestion is to take it to a gunsmith, does your LGS have a gunsmith on hand? These guys are great to know, IMHO you should always know your local gunsmith. They can help you out of a lot of jams (no pun intended).

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
Local gun store - no qualified gun smith ,In my province Ontario Canada no knowledge of a qualified gunsmith that I know off. My club members that I shoot with no word on "good" qualified gunsmith in area . I did send my norinco 1911 out of province to a smith that was in business a good long time but now retired .

mplazz

Fanatic
Mine has been back to CZ for repair/tuning. I still have nose dives occasionally.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
You have a classic ammo issue with the throating in your barrel and choice of bullets you are seeing the results, your barrel can be reamed for a different bullet yes but with the 1000's of choices why bother just change them wrong ogive and or length for chambering you have yours was a classic example word per word read. Have you tried 124 NATO ball or 115 ball, pay attention to bullet ogive of those, also if is safely done you can reload to a shorter OAL and that should also work but can create other issues like increased pressure etc. I shot 250 rounds today of 155gr flat points my friend maybe 300 rounds and zero issues with anything, we load all we shoot.

Last edited:

HRColey

Fanatic
Try contacting a top rank gunsmith that specializes in 1911's and have your feed ramp throated and polished. That should cure your feeding problems.

Latest posts