Dumb things You've done with reloading..

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Amazing how light it is with a full load. I need to set up my chronograph and see what velocity I'm getting from that rifle round in a pistol.
I set it up years ago when a member was asking about using the .22 mag Davis derringer as a backup weapon. 900 fps from a 2' barrel was the best it got.
.22 lr rimfire was 50 fps faster. Lots of unburned powder went out the barrel of that 2" .22 mag Davis.
I have a reloading question,
If you can verify that you have unburned powder coming out. Why couldn't you back off on the powder load and still hold the same stats/velocity etc. on the round.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
best answer would be.. decreasing powder load would decrease pressure, which would = lower velocity.
Even if powder isn't burned, it is still filling case volume. Less filled case volume = lower pressure, which = lower velocity.
If this were the case in a center fire caliber, I'd switch to a magnum primer..to get a more complete burn ( if one wasn't used )

the tread mentioned a 22 mag rnd.. so not much could be done, other than shooting rds thru a longer barrel.

dennishoddy

I have a reloading question,
If you can verify that you have unburned powder coming out. Why couldn't you back off on the powder load and still hold the same stats/velocity etc. on the round.
It's not a reloadable cartridge.
.22 LR and .22 mag are rimfires. Both are designed to be shot from a rifle so any short barrel firearm is going to result in unburned powder exiting the muzzle creating a fireball.
There are some diehards out there that say they reload .22 RF but it's more about making a video showing they can vs doing it for volume.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
It's not a reloadable cartridge.
.22 LR and .22 mag are rimfires. Both are designed to be shot from a rifle so any short barrel firearm is going to result in unburned powder exiting the muzzle creating a fireball.
There are some diehards out there that say they reload .22 RF but it's more about making a video showing they can vs doing it for volume.
I was not referring to the cartridge you mentioned. I was talking generically of backing down a little on the powder on a round that was not burning all the powder. to see if that would be a good way to get full burn. I would guess that going to a faster burn powder might be an option along with JP's mag primer idea.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" going to a faster burn powder".. would work too.
For a long time, I used a lot of Bullseye, then switched to A/A #2, both the faster burning powders, making my selection for economy.
Using fast burning powder = using less powder/rnd. This equates to getting more loads / pound of power.

Some like using slower burning powders, as it fills the case more..and is / can be, easier to detect a double charge,.
Literature also states that the higher the case fill, the more accurate the load..due to improved combustion of powder charge (?)
for whatever reason. I've experimented with rifle charges & have found more case fill does result in tighter groups .
Accuracy in a pistol loads may have similar result, but would be more difficult for me to detect athe difference, as
my pistol shooting ability is a much larger variable than load density. ;) :rolleyes:

Latest posts