Dumb things You've done with reloading..

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Just discovered a dumb thing I did earlier today, while loading some 44 Mag cases for my Marlin 1894..

I've decided to experiment with some bullet & powder combinations for this caliber.
In the past, I'd loaded some REM. 240 gr JHP bullets with H-110 powder, and got some of most accurate loads I've shot thru that rifle.
Unfortunately, part of the load label is missing, so I don't have the actual powder charge of those rds.
Having a hard time finding a fresh supply of H-110 at the time I was looking for it, I bought a 1# container of Ramshot Enforcer.. their Magnum powder.,
decided to give it a try.

Found a box of IMI 180 gr JHP's & a large box of Rem. 240 gr JHP's both would be used for my test bullets.
Powders I'll load include the Enforcer, and the last of my supply of H-110.
Looking at the various places I have powder stored , I found small amounts of Blue Dot & 2400 that I'd also load, & include in my comparison.
( Have a note in 1 of my manuals saying that 15.7 gr. Bluedot was an accurate load in my 1894 )

Decided to load the 2400 1st, as I have enough to load a full box (50) rds with that powder.
I checked data online, then in my Lyman & Hornady manuals..wrote out on a piece of paper the starting & max charge of each powder, for each bullet weight.
I checked & separate data exsists for Pistol & Rifle loadings...(loads for a rifle are a little hotter.)

As these were to be used in my rifle, I loaded closer to max. charge than I'd load a pistol. As these were HOT loads, I hand weigh powder charges on a digital scale... 24.4 gr was my goal.. anything more than .1 gr. ( + or - ) was dumped in the hopper & case recharged.
Spent 1 - 1.5 hrs. loading those 50 cases.. finished & labeled box.

Looking at my hand written notes, I discovered I had made a mistake.
The Max charge of 2400 , behind a 240 gr JHP bullet is 20.5 gr=1600fps. (Lyman)
and according to Hornady : 23.0gr = 1800 fps.

So where I got the 24.4 gr charge is a mystery.. esp. after looking up, & writing down the correct data found in my manuals.
Some probably would just shoot it..but not me.
Now, I have 50 rds. to pull apart ..:mad:

what a D.A..... :eek: at least I caught the mistake. :oops:

Last edited:

dennishoddy

I loaded some .44 mag for the Marlin 336 awhile back. For whatever reason I used large rifle primers vs large pistol primers.
It was a pretty mild range load using Unique so I went ahead and shot them. Didn't check the difference in velocity as the Chrono wasn't at the range but they did just fine.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've read (often) that when primer sources are scarce, many use pistol primers instead of rifle primers..& vise-versa. Only difference many reported is that rifle primers are a little harder to ignite ( thicker metal ? ) I've also read that there was little to no difference in chrono readings of a load using rifle or pistol primers.
I know I've inadvertently used the "wrong" primer in a few cases I've been loading & noticed no difference when shooting them. YMMV. ;)

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I loaded a bunch of 9mm without plunk testing in the pistol before heading off to the range. The 1st magazine I had 1 that got stuck in the chamber with the pistol slightly out of battery and I couldn't rack the slide to clear it. The range visit quickly came to an end and I had to travel back home. Precariously, I had to whack the muzzle of the pistol with a rubber mallet to force the round loose. I was sweatin bullets (pun intended) while doing this. The issue was a bulged case. Lesson learned the hard way. I plunk tested the rest and that was the only one that wouldn't chamber. The pistol is a S&W Model 659 and I believe the brass was probably range pick up but not 100% sure.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Been loading since the mid-late 70's.. & amazed at despite loading fairly often / regularly.. I still make mistakes.
Fortunately, I ( usually ) catch my mistakes quickly.... been a long time since I botched 50 rds., before I caught my mistake.
I normally would've set those rds. aside & pulled the bullets at a later day / time, but I was so angry with myself for making such a dumb mistake, I immediately pulled the bullets. Told myself I was punishing me, for making such a bone-headed mistake.
:mad:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
In the early 70s I got my 50, .357 magnum once fired cases together with powder & bullets.
I did buy a Speers #6 reloading book & with all the Cocky in the world I began my adventure. :eek:

I beat the old primer out, then banged the case onto the sizing die, Beat the new primer in charged & seated the bullet.
So easy a moron could do it. :rolleyes:

I lived on a big farm out in nowhere so I could just walk out & test my new rounds. I was so proud. o_O
Man I could fire that Colt double action so fast, it was a blast until.
Until I was firing & the boom turned to pop.

I just was able to gently let the trigger go back, I was about to pull again.
Forgot to put powder in one case, man was I lucky.

From then on I approached handloading with a great degree of Respect from then on, No bullet seated until all checks have been passed,

1666361984509.png
1666362119946.png
1666362198579.png
1666362669794.png

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish I could say I've never done that. I bought a Dillon 450 ( predecessor to the 550) and since it is a progressive, it was easier to make a mistake.. i.e. the 450 didn't have linkages to operate the primer bar or powder bar..had to do each operation by hand. Also, it didn't have the same powder dispenser, that won't drop powder unless there's a case in place to catch it. I made a mantra I'd repeat to myself when loading : " Bullet, case- ..downstroke, powder, primer, upstroke."
Turn shell plate, remove loaded rnd., & repeat.

Learned that distraction is the reloaders worse enemy....and when, ( not if) you are distracted, check all stations before doing any further steps.
I was doing this pre-internet, so I didn't have YouTube to explain & show me how to do everything.

No warning bell if a primer flipped over, or if the primer feed tube failed to drop a primer into the cup on the primer bar.

I'd been taught by a neighbor the steps to reload on a RCBS RockChucker..it was easier to check each step using a single stage loader.
But my Dillon was a lot faster...and took me some time to realize "haste can / does make waste.." or at least create problems.
Finally realized it was faster to load a little slower & instituting checks in the process, than to go faster & make mistakes.
I do still enjoy reloading, & am continually trying new & different bullets, powders, primers, etc in the constant search for the most accurate ammo
that I can produce and shoot. I encourage others to do the same.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
In the early 70s I got my 50, .357 magnum once fired cases together with powder & bullets.
I did buy a Speers #6 reloading book & with all the Cocky in the world I began my adventure. :eek:

I beat the old primer out, then banged the case onto the sizing die, Beat the new primer in charged & seated the bullet.
So easy a moron could do it. :rolleyes:

I lived on a big farm out in nowhere so I could just walk out & test my new rounds. I was so proud. o_O
Man I could fire that Colt double action so fast, it was a blast until.
Until I was firing & the boom turned to pop.

I just was able to gently let the trigger go back, I was about to pull again.
Forgot to put powder in one case, man was I lucky.

From then on I approached handloading with a great degree of Respect from then on, No bullet seated until all checks have been passed,

View attachment 28785
View attachment 28786
View attachment 28787
View attachment 28788
Glad there was a positive outcome.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad there was a positive outcome.
Lol.. Dumbest thing I've done in the past week? The other day I finally took out my last years Christmas present, a Kimber K6s 357 3". Drove out to my friend's farm to have some fun. Had to try some +p ammo in it. I'm sure the part between my thumb and index finger will eventually turn pink again. Went home cleaned it, put it back in the safe. A reminder, I'm much older, should have known better. and I am a 1911 person.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Lol.. Dumbest thing I've done in the past week? The other day I finally took out my last years Christmas present, a Kimber K6s 357 3". Drove out to my friend's farm to have some fun. Had to try some +p ammo in it. I'm sure the part between my thumb and index finger will eventually turn pink again. Went home cleaned it, put it back in the safe. A reminder, I'm much older, should have known better. and I am a 1911 person.
Glad I'm the only one. I almost hate to shoot my Smith 442, because it stings! Even with 158gr swc standard pressure, of Federal standard pressure Nyclads. May have to start carrying my 640 in 38 special. All steel not quite as bad. Gettin' older SUCKS, lol.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Might back off on the hotter loads (as I used to think necessary years ago) and continue to work on accuracy instead. As George Jones sang, we still don't need no rockin chair. And agree that gettin' old does suck.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've ( almost ) always loaded to lower velocities..pistols to around / < 1000 fps, as I punch holes in paper & don't need 1200 fps or>to do that.
I've only started loading hotter loads for my .357 & 44 Mag rifles.. as I've read accuracy improves with faster loads in them.
I has somewhat of a scare yesterday, as I was preparing to load some H-110, Enforcer & 2400 loads in .357. I realized all loads in my
manuals state to use SP Mag primers... didn't think I had any of them . I know I have Mag primers for LP, LR, & SR, but couldn't recall the
last time I loaded .357 mag loads, and if I used SPM primers when they were loaded. Had to hunt thru a variety of locations where I store
my primers , but did find 1 brick of Win SPM primers ! I'd removed a couple of pks from the brink, but there's 700 or 800 left, so I should be good. :)

dennishoddy

I have that odd PMR-30. Actually it's fun and accurate. 50yards is not a problem hitting the gong.
Amazing how light it is with a full load. I need to set up my chronograph and see what velocity I'm getting from that rifle round in a pistol.
I set it up years ago when a member was asking about using the .22 mag Davis derringer as a backup weapon. 900 fps from a 2' barrel was the best it got.
.22 lr rimfire was 50 fps faster. Lots of unburned powder went out the barrel of that 2" .22 mag Davis.

Latest posts