Don't see many double stack paras in matches

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The Antichrome said:
Which is exactly why you would want a widebody.
Ya know based on your logic thousands of Canadians and US people in the Northern tier should give up Curling......

To further expand on your idea... I am looking belt fed for my everyday carry firearm.

( you do realise that IDPA Nationals draw most of the A list pro shooters that shoot USPSA and the other associations also)

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
In my case.... I have some prejudiced opinions about PARA. One of the early Canadian- built pistols dissasembled it'self at round 14 or so... new out of the box condition. Lug and link evaporated... locked up the pistol.

Para was very good about fixing REPLACING the gun..(and I traded it when the replacment arrived). and they are better about QC these days....

Would I buy another... Probably- with the understanding that it would be a donor frame and slide for a build gun.

The Antichrome

poopgiggle said:
You don't see paras in a lot of matches because Todd Jarrett and Travis Tomasie can only be in one place at a time.
TJ hasnt shot para for awhile. His guns are based on Caspian frames/slides.

Jeff said:
Ya know based on your logic thousands of Canadians and US people in the Northern tier should give up Curling......

To further expand on your idea... I am looking belt fed for my everyday carry firearm.

( you do realise that IDPA Nationals draw most of the A list pro shooters that shoot USPSA and the other associations also)
I've curled, in canada, for money. Curling's fun. More fun than bowling anyway, and the canadians do it with lots-o-beer. But its cold in those curling arenas, and I dont get the reference.

Not sure how my "idea" expands into belt fed or everyday carry.

My point was that if reloading is a critical element, then you'd want a fast reload. A widebody is usually faster to reload.

Yes, I'm aware of who shoots IDPA Nationals (and who doesnt) Again, I'm not sure what your point is...

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The Antichrome said:
TJ hasnt shot para for awhile. His guns are based on Caspian frames/slides.

I've curled, in canada, for money. Curling's fun. More fun than bowling anyway, and the canadians do it with lots-o-beer. But its cold in those curling arenas, and I dont get the reference.

Not sure how my "idea" expands into belt fed or everyday carry.

My point was that if reloading is a critical element, then you'd want a fast reload. A widebody is usually faster to reload.

Yes, I'm aware of who shoots IDPA Nationals (and who doesnt) Again, I'm not sure what your point is...
Ok you got me. The anti IDPA vibe here required some comparison to sport that is sorta boring (unless you like it) like curling (and the average Okie never heard of it)

In response to the OP first post he was asking how the wide body gun relates to IDPA. Shoot whatever fits the box... but why bring a wide-body hi cap to a game that favores single stacks? After all - the max you could load it would be 10 and then you would be in ESP instead of CDP and have to shoot against the lighter recoiling 9 mm's .....

The Antichrome

Jeff said:
In response to the OP first post he was asking how the wide body gun relates to IDPA. Shoot whatever fits the box... but why bring a wide-body hi cap to a game that favores single stacks? After all - the max you could load it would be 10 and then you would be in ESP instead of CDP and have to shoot against the lighter recoiling 9 mm's .....
I see. You're thinking only of round capacity...a totally separate issue, which has nothing to do with the OP's question.

The game does not 'favor' single stacks, but they are among the most common guns, especially in CDP. A widebody gun, with a nice big magazine opening is much easier to reload than a skinny 1911...and theres no reason it cant be in light recoiling 9mm.

For ESP, a 2011 platform in 9mm would be the gun of choice...even though Vogel will still win with his Glock, which is also, technically, a widebody. But a Para? Bleck.

"...but why bring a wide-body hi cap to a game that favores single stacks?" Lots of people do...for the widebody, not the hi-cap.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The Antichrome said:
I see. You're thinking only of round capacity...a totally separate issue, which has nothing to do with the OP's question.

The game does not 'favor' single stacks, but they are among the most common guns, especially in CDP. A widebody gun, with a nice big magazine opening is much easier to reload than a skinny 1911...and theres no reason it cant be in light recoiling 9mm.

For ESP, a 2011 platform in 9mm would be the gun of choice...even though Vogel will still win with his Glock, which is also, technically, a widebody. But a Para? Bleck.

"...but why bring a wide-body hi cap to a game that favores single stacks?" Lots of people do...for the widebody, not the hi-cap.
I spose that reflects a personal predudice of mine. Single stack pistols work in smaller hands... and for people like me why would I trade a "faster widebody reload" for a better grip? If a shooter has the span to handle a wide body 1911 it would make sense to pick up a slight reload advantage.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I think 1911s have more currency than widebody guns in CDP because

a) most quality doublestack 1911-ish guns are in 40 or 9
8) putting a magwell on a 1911 makes it plenty easy to reload
c) IDPA was founded by dudes who were butthurt that their .45 1911s weren't competitive in IPSC anymore.*
d) 1911 JMB 'MURICA

*This isn't a knock against IDPA. It's just what happened.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Jeff said:
I spose that reflects a personal predudice of mine. Single stack pistols work in smaller hands... and for people like me why would I trade a "faster widebody reload" for a better grip? If a shooter has the span to handle a wide body 1911 it would make sense to pick up a slight reload advantage.
I have pretty small hands, but a cut down 2011 grip fits me better than my 1911. A 1911 will always be a gun that's easier to carry, but a properly set up and fitted 2011 is always going to be more competitive for the reasons already discussed.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
It's more the person driving the bus than the bus that's more competitive. Some pistols that folks don't think are competitive in the right hands will surprise ya! you can't buy experience. Later,

Kirk