Don't see many double stack paras in matches

both of those companies DO make models that can be very competitive in some divisions of action pistol.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I've found Sig handguns to be of high quality. I still miss the 226 I sold. I've enjoyed shooting a few 220's as well.

I've never handled a Para. But I suspect that the ammo and mags their owners use are kinda vital to their performance.

The Antichrome

Many of the worst death jams and catastrophic gun failures I've seen were Para wide bodies.
I understand their single stacks are ok.
Didnt Accurate Ron almost blow his hand off trying to fix a Para?

Sigs are solid, but they havent caught on in competition. A couple of years ago they made a big push to get their gun into USPSA...but they didnt run.
To be fair, you do see a few more Sigs in the less demanding sport of idpa. But their single stacks are often too heavy for the weight limit.
Even Sig's team capt. doesnt shoot a Sig.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Max shoots a Bedell gun with Sig rollmarked on the slide, or at least he did a few years ago.

He also had an X5 that I got to fiddle with. I liked it a lot. A 226 would take a dedicated shooter a long way in production.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The X5 I shot a while back was incredibly accurate. I really liked it, just didn't know much about aftermarket availability and not many people in the USPSA area speak of them so it wasn't a gun for me to go after.
STI/SVI and to a lesser degree EAA/Tanfoglio guns have the competition world on lockdown. More people see and hear about those so that's what they go after.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Neither company has a gun that is as purpose built for action shooting as the others out there nor do they market to the action shooting community like the others do.

Jesse Tischauser said:
Neither company has a gun that is as purpose built for action shooting as the others out there
No big manufacturer does. A sig or para single stack needs only some trigger work, magwell and maybe a FO sight to make it just as competition worthy as any other colt, S&W, or kimber.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
What about the Springfield XDm 5.25 ? I thought that was a TGO- informed production-made competition ready pistol.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Also, we had some steel frame wide-body 1911s on my squad today at Tri-City, and they choked, but it seemed like some of it was mag related. Not sure what make/model.

Jesse Tischauser said:
What would you consider the Edge, G34, G35, M&P Pro & CORE?
who runs a stock edge, or a stock M&P, or stock glock?

For that matter, when has any one ever asked you about what gun to get for action pistol or three gun, and you said, buy a ______, and just shoot it stock? never.
we mod everything.

So a m&p with a $180 worth of Apex crap is a geared toward action pistol, while theres something wrong with a para single stack, $200 in the trigger and a magwell?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I'm sure liability reasons are the main things keeping factory manufacturers from getting the trigger pull too light, and gamers love a hair trigger :D

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
To speak to the OP and his reference to IDPA.....

The rules cap everybody to 10 round max in IDPA
A couple reasons for that

The sport is shot in mag banned states ( I have a set of glock 10's for California- can't carry the standards across the line legally)
The rules were written when the old AWB was in place ( 10 round mags)
Finally... The stages and rules " encourage" reloads. Reloading at speed is part of the game.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Way back I shot a 14-45 Para in USPSA and had no issue at all BUT I tend to keep up with my stuff, this was before they decided to change the extractor. From what I have been told and understand is that the 45 double stack is pretty decent if you change out the extractor :) then they thought hey lets make these things shoot 40 and 9mm which just didn't work out all that well for Para so along came the 2011 and if I recall it was built to shoot 40SW part of the reason it works better. Most of the problems with the double stack 1911 types I hear are mostly the mags BUT take what I say for what it's worth! I still shoot an ugly ass Glock (ok I've not shot it in awhile)

The gun mfg's are not going to make a gun for a specific game so the reason we go in and modify our stuff to suit the games we play, the reason shotgun makers don't have those awesome welded lifters we all enjoy so much, why would they tool up for something that is 3-5% of their customer base? long range rifles? there are some that work BUT you have to tweak what's offered to work like I would want (reason I build my own) just too many different people out there that want something different so the reason the custom shops are out there to build what we want. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts