Dominant eye issues

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
So I figured out today that my dominant eye (right) switches. When I was at the range this morning I was shooting differently than normal so we tested my eyes, found out my left was dominant today, got home and retested and now it's back to my right!!! Geez!! Any suggestions?? I did t realize they could switch like that!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Dual dominance! That's what we all wish we had. I'm not an expert but cross dominance is what Kurt Miller has and he is no slouch in the shooting arena.

Do you shoot both eyes open?

When you shoot strong hand do you use your string hand side eye?

When you shoot Weakhand do you switch and use your Weakhand side eye?

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
My brother is cross-dominant. For clay shooting, we would put a piece of scotch tape on his glasses so it blocked his left eye from seeing the bead. It forces his brain to switch dominance to the right eye.

I'm not sure if a similar method would work for pistol or rifle shooting.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Your dominate eye can change due to fatigue or vision deterioration in that eye. The stronger eye will become dominate. You could try using a patch over the eye you want to not be dominate. Also, age can be a factor in the future. Age also can contribute to eye dominance.

Actually, this issue is more common than one would think. :D

Jason1

Well-Known Fanatic
This is something I need to work on. I still have to close my left eye when i shoot.

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
My dad, my son, my daughter and I are left eye dominate. My dad was told to shot right handed because back in the day most bolt rifles were for right handed people so he did the same for me. I just close my left eye. I let my son and daughter choose which way felt more comfortable so my son shoots left with a rifle and right with a pistol. My daughter felt more comfortable holding the rifle in her right hand but would aim with her left eye when she was starting out. The problem with her is she can't shut her left eye without closing both so she has to wear a patch. She must get that from my wife's father he can't shut just one eye but he is right eye dominate and shoots with both eyes open. So if you shoot right close your left eye, tape the lens on your shoot glasses or use a patch.

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
You could bling out your eye patch too, this is my daughters patch. The A is for Addie (her name), Awesome or whatever she wants it to be that day. You should of see her when she forgets it and I have to use painters tape over her eye that's some funny sh!t.

Attachments

• patch.JPG
    patch.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 25

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
You are very lucky if you don't have a dominant eye. I don't and it allows much faster transitions and sight tracking. Matter of fact you will be able to use your right eye for right hand shooting and your left eye for left hand shooting. You can select which eye sees what at will. It is a blessing for the shooting sports. Do a little searching around and you will find some simple eye exercises that will allow you to do some really cool stuff. If you have any questions about it let me know. I would also bet that your optimum vision is in the vertical plain, not the horizontal like most folks.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no idea how long this has been going on?? I did have laser eye surgery (custom vue) several years ago and curious if it started then? I was having a hard time get on target with the front sight today. I had to close my left eye to get proper aquisition. I was also shooting steel with only my support hand with my left eye closed, just slightly tilted gun and was nailing them like nobody's business. Just messing around after running some drills two handed. Once I realized what was happening I just closed my left eye. I have really good vision in both eyes--hence the surgery--but didn't relalize my eyes could be "dual dominant". Sounds kinda cool! I normally keep both eyes open when shooting pistol or shotgun. I have to close my left eye to look in my scopes on my rifles. I didn't think about trying to shoot with my left eye today, but if it does it again I will try and we will see what happens. My friend thought that it may have been a lighting issue? I went to the indoor range a little bit ago to help RSO at a friends class, and I'm still right eyed :)
Two times at the range today makes for an awesome day!! One outdoors and one indoors............it's a wonderful life!!
Stayed tuned!!

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Laser surgery is nice. I was one of those kids with thick glasses I used to hate iron sights they never seemed very clear then I got contacts. Contacts made iron sights better but after laser surgery I feel like I have super vision best money I ever spent.
Good luck getting your eye situation squared away

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes laser surgery was the best investment yet!!! I scuba dive and I hated my contacts!! Best vision I've ever had!! Way better than 20/20 even after several years!! Only wished I would've done it sooner!!!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I was one of those kids with thick glasses

page21-04.jpg

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
My brother is cross-dominant. For clay shooting, we would put a piece of scotch tape on his glasses so it blocked his left eye from seeing the bead. It forces his brain to switch dominance to the right eye.

I'm not sure if a similar method would work for pistol or rifle shooting.

Was going to suggest this ... My buddy changes hands and eyes like this all the time. He shoots rifle left, pistol right, and eyes go back and forth. Stuck some tape on his glasses to block the eye he wasn't wanting to use for the situation and it was fine.

Latest posts