Do we always have to shoot a classifier?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
L10 and Revolver actually. Like most C class shooters I struggle with knowing how fast is too fast or too slow. That pace timer in my head still says go as fast as possible and eventually you will get some hits. Those 70's are 8-16 lucky as fast as I can go shots in a classifier with no Mikes or No Shoots.

onwmed

Founding Member
I've never been classified, so how does that work when I turn in scores to uspsa? Do you automatically start as the lowest class?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Once you get 4 sent in you get classified, after that it's a complicated mix of latest 8, best 6, too high or too low etc.

Your initial classification will fall out to where your first 4 average.

I'd have to look and see if you could fit 2 stages safely in the H&H bays, they are pretty narrow. But I see what you're getting at.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I dunno what's more comical. Jesse WANTING to shoot another classifier or "like most C class shooters". Both crack me up

jtischauser

Yeah those bays are pretty small. What if you just did the fastest stages twice? Kind of a do over of sorts but count them both. I can remember many stages that I would lime another crack at.

That was one cool thing about shooting the ProAm in both Limited and Open Divisions. You got a 2nd chance to reshoot the stage better or sometimes just differently than you did the first time.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I still think the best solution would be to shoot a fast standards stage from a few distances or maybe two different target presentations from the same distance and just move over a skosh.

Lord Jesse, I just looked at your classifier scores, you need some consistency injected into your life man!

You don't need more classifiers you need to settle down :sign0135:

Chambers

actual GM
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=272.msg2260#msg2260 date=1287024275]
I dunno what's more comical. Jesse WANTING to shoot another classifier or "like most C class shooters". Both crack me up
[/quote]

LOL.

Jessie, since your B prod., are you shooting B at the Arkansas Multigun Sectional? I think you should shoot production with me at the Hillbilly Classic.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I think we should invoke a new BoomerShooter.com rule - for any match you shoot with 3 or more people from BoomerShooter.com - you are REQUIRED to shoot in your HIGHEST CLASSIFICATION ( you can shoot a lower classification but cannot brag if you are for instance a B/A shooter in Limited but a C in production)

Also if you shoot the Lower class and WIN you are required to buy the first 2 rounds at the bar after the match.

All in favor....

M

Mitch Harrington

[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=272.msg2247#msg2247 date=1287017887]
Yeah that would work too. But for those of us that are REALLY, REALLY trying hard to get our classifications higher ever chance we get being able to practice a classifier under match conditions might be nice. Actually it might be cool to shoot two classifiers and then by random draw after the match we decide which one gets turned in to USPSA. I think I do worse in the classifiers because it has extra importance than just match points. If I didn't know which one counted they might be less stressful and I might finally get my much sought after B classification.
[/quote]

[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=272.msg2252#msg2252 date=1287020081]
L10 and Revolver actually. Like most C class shooters I struggle with knowing how fast is too fast or too slow. That pace timer in my head still says go as fast as possible and eventually you will get some hits. Those 70's are 8-16 lucky as fast as I can go shots in a classifier with no Mikes or No Shoots.
[/quote]

Am I the only one that smells bullshoot?

Here's an idea Jesse. Shoot to your ability with the classifiers like you do on EVERY other stage. This way, when you have a class win, you have truly earned it by working hard and putting in the time. Just sayin'. :mad:

jtischauser

For the record...I have never shot a classifier slower than I physically can. I have switched to different divisons in order to earn classification in all the divisions and maybe, just maybe to avoid being moved to a higher classification before a big match.

M

Mitch Harrington

[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=272.msg2305#msg2305 date=1287099295]
For the record...I have never shot a classifier slower than I physically can. I have switched to different divisons in order to earn classification in all the divisions and maybe, just maybe to avoid being moved to a higher classification before a big match.
[/quote]

There is little doubt as to how FAST you shoot classifiers Jesse. I could shoot them as fast as I possible could and get the same results. Try shooting them like you do every other stage. No faster than you can make good hits. Shooting limited MINOR certainly helped in keeping your classification down.

My point is this, just shoot the classifiers like every other stage. Winning a gun, a trophy or any other prize just isn't impressive if you have to sandbag classifiers to do it. Just my .02

jtischauser

[quote author=Mitch Harrington link=topic=272.msg2310#msg2310 date=1287099913]
There is little doubt as to how FAST you shoot classifiers Jesse. I could shoot them as fast as I possible could and get the same results. Try shooting them like you do every other stage. No faster than you can make good hits. Shooting limited MINOR certainly helped in keeping your classification down.

My point is this, just shoot the classifiers like every other stage. Winning a gun, a trophy or any other prize just isn't impressive if you have to sandbag classifiers to do it. Just my .02
[/quote]

I shoot limited minor with my G34 that is used for 3 gun. I run it in Limited when I want to get tuned up with it for 3 gun. I ran it in limited 10 several times so I could compete head to head with Chris and my other production shooting buddys without using the G34 with unmodified grip that eats my hand up.

I have never shot a classifier intentionally faster or slower than any other stage. That is why classifiers suck! They are tests of skills that for the most part aren't used in the rest of the match.

I will be the first to tell you that getting a higher classification is not beneficial to winning prizes at a major match. However, I am deeply offended that anyone would think I would intentionally perform poorly in a classifier. I try to win every stage, period!

M

Mitch Harrington

[quote author=jtischauser link=topic=272.msg2312#msg2312 date=1287100886]
[quote author=Mitch Harrington link=topic=272.msg2310#msg2310 date=1287099913]

[/quote]

I shoot limited minor with my G34 that is used for 3 gun. I run it in Limited when I want to get tuned up with it for 3 gun. I ran it in limited 10 several times so I could compete head to head with Chris and my other production shooting buddys without using the G34 with unmodified grip that eats my hand up.

I have never shot a classifier intentionally faster or slower than any other stage. That is why classifiers suck! They are tests of skills that for the most part aren't used in the rest of the match.

I will be the first to tell you that getting a higher classification is not beneficial to winning prizes at a major match. However, I am deeply offended that anyone would think I would intentionally perform poorly in a classifier. I try to win every stage, period!
[/quote]

No need to be "deeply offended". LOL

GoldenBear

Fanatic
I believe a club has to shoot at least 8 classifiers a year to keep their club affiliation with USPSA.
G

Dug out of the USPSA 2010 Classifier book (4th Ed, Rev).
Only one classifier may be run each month unless the club has received permission to run a Level I Special. If your club cannot run events in the winter because of bad weather, etc., you may post-pone your regular club events until later in the year; however, your club must conduct and report a minimum of eight matches per year, three of which must be classifier matches. A club may turn in a maximum of 12 regular club events for each division for activity credits in one year. Please note that there is no provision for running a classifier as a separate side event. Any match where a classifier is run is a classifier match,
But yeah, if a match didn't do a classifier every match, people would get grumpy. Especially those trying to improve their classificaiton. :/

Latest posts