Did some 300 AAC Blackout Shooting Today

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Have thought about getting a Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper for one of the spare lowers I have, not much over 200 for the upper, 300 BO ammo has come down a fair amount, I don't reload but a buddy of mine has made his brass like someone above mentioned, that's impressive in my book! I didn't know Magpul made 300 BO mags either, also good to know, might be a good project down the road good topic for conversation
Lancer also makes a 300 BO mag. Personally, they are my favorite.

BobT

Fanatic
Curious now, I'd been using Magpul mags for 300, even the 40rd (which I now regret giving some to a friend). I'd not had any magazine related issues.
The heavier subsonic projectiles can push off the forward guide rib in the standard mags and reduce capacity with some ammo. For what it's worth I always ran standard magazines and never had a problem.
t

the 16" 300 bo i just made for a friend is a Bear Creek Upper and I was really impressed with it's accuracy with the 125 gr bullets. I've been buying BCA side charging uppers for many years and they work great. the only change I made to my friends BCA upper, was to remove the gas block and install a adjustable gas block from gorilla machining.
2 of my 3 uppers were Bear Creek and the other was a Palmetto, all three were fantastic shooters!

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice to hear BobT
in all the years & items i've bought from BCA, i've only had 1 defective part & they sent me a new bolt the same day i called and didn't want me to mail the defective one back either
I think i need to get some new mags too, my 5.56 ETS mags are several yrs old and starting to have FTF issues. even though they've always worked perfectly...til now. I'll have to look at the rib on them

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Kinda off topic but since PSA has been mentioned, watch T-Rex Arms video on 9000 buck AR vs 700 dollar PSA, I like watching Lucus Boykin running and shooting, he has skill but I was little surprised by his and his buddies answers, anyway back to topic, I've really enjoyed this thread, have learned a lot about 300 BO just didn't know, lot of you guys really schooled on this caliber, I think in next few weeks gonna get an upper from BCA, got a 10% coupon so upper be right at 200, free shipping and no sales tax which is weird but ain't complaining, figured SC be one of first states to have to pay NCNeed to recover a little bit, bought a Holosun 507 Comp dot, Glock 47 MOS and couple other things.

Really good thread and I appreciate the knowledge sharing90F513EC-914E-4A9D-9161-8229ED97F1A6.png

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
i haven't watched video yet but im guessing there isn't much difference between the two. since most AR parts are all milspec, it really doesn't matter which brand you get. and paying more doesn't always mean "better". I have always been told there's 2 main parts to buy to make any AR better. The barrel and the trigger. and that's pretty much true. I have added a good adjustable gas block to that list for 300 BO rifles & pistols. especially if you plan on getting a suppressor, but even with no suppressor, you can dial in just enough pressure to make it work perfectly and have less recoil ( which you don't really notice ) but it's there. I'm sold on the Blackhole Weaponry Barrels as far as sub moa accuracy goes ( I once saw pics of a guy, shooting a fly that had landed on his target 100 yards away ). it looks great on a paper target, but for self defense or anything else, a larger grouping isn't going to matter, target still dead!.
I've been using carbon fiber lowers for years too. Now I get them at Unbranded AR, for only $35 and they have stood the test of time. I have them on 5.56 and 300 BO weapons. they hold up and they are much lighter. stripped billet lower: 10.4 Oz./// Carbon fiber stripped lower: 3.7 Oz. you can feel the difference!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Pretty cheap for a carbon fiber that's for sure, if Lucus would have dropped a PSA 3.5 lb trigger in his(he shootin the PSA)probably would have been no difference. My best AR is a BCM, I thought I needed to step up a little for 2 gun matches, not saying it was a mistake, very nice rifle but I could have bought 3 psa's or combination of PSA and BCA and finished just as good, or bad lol

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Kinda off topic but since PSA has been mentioned, watch T-Rex Arms video on 9000 buck AR vs 700 dollar PSA, I like watching Lucus Boykin running and shooting, he has skill but I was little surprised by his and his buddies answers, anyway back to topic, I've really enjoyed this thread, have learned a lot about 300 BO just didn't know, lot of you guys really schooled on this caliber, I think in next few weeks gonna get an upper from BCA, got a 10% coupon so upper be right at 200, free shipping and no sales tax which is weird but ain't complaining, figured SC be one of first states to have to pay NCNeed to recover a little bit, bought a Holosun 507 Comp dot, Glock 47 MOS and couple other things.

Really good thread and I appreciate the knowledge sharingView attachment 31823
I have enjoyed this thread too. It's cool to know there are a lot of people that see the usefulness of the 300 Blackout cartridge. I know I don't regret the decision to start using it at all. Reloading it is great too. When I decided to get into it, my first purchase was a set of dies. I guess I like working backwards. LOL

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic

Really good thread and I appreciate the knowledge sharingView attachment 31823
With BCA my experience has been 50% whether the headspace is sufficient to chamber a round. I fixed my BCA uppers by ordering a new bolt off the internet and the guns would chamber factory ammo like they were supposed. happened once in 7.62x39 and also in 300 blackout. That was a couple of years ago and maybe they are not better. Basically they were not checking the headspace that only takes few moments to do.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
Another piece I would like to share doubles the price of the lower parts kit, but i put it on all my AR builds too.
I'ts called " The Bolt Lever" , I use it instead of the bolt catch that comes in a LPK. unlike others similar to it, it's one solid piece. It won't loosen or come apart like others that are a 2 piece do. they clamp onto the existing bolt lever catch, this one replaces it entirely. they can be found at T box tactical. it is very handy not having to change hand positions just to hit the bolt catch after changing mag's. simply use your trigger finger to quickly charge the BCG ( bolt carrier group )

Attachments

• TheBoltLever2017-4397_1_large.jpg
    TheBoltLever2017-4397_1_large.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
With BCA my experience has been 50% whether the headspace is sufficient to chamber a round. I fixed my BCA uppers by ordering a new bolt off the internet and the guns would chamber factory ammo like they were supposed. happened once in 7.62x39 and also in 300 blackout. That was a couple of years ago and maybe they are not better. Basically they were not checking the headspace that only takes few moments to do.
thats about the same time i had the same problem, but only once. I have bought 5 or 6 more side charging upper receivers since then without any problems.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
I love side charging uppers, I used one on my 1st AR build, and on every build since then. even my AR12 semi auto mag fed shotgun & my BCA .22LR AR have side charging uppers. Side charging uppers are especially useful on rifles since you do not have to reach up under scope to charge it like on rear charging uppers. plus they look cooler :) (because they are) and always draw attention at the gun range.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I love side charging uppers, I used one on my 1st AR build, and on every build since then. even my AR12 semi auto mag fed shotgun & my BCA .22LR AR have side charging uppers. Side charging uppers are especially useful on rifles since you do not have to reach up under scope to charge it like on rear charging uppers. plus they look cooler :) (because they are) and always draw attention at the gun range.
On guns that come with 30 round magazines, quick operation of the charging handle seems not so critical to me.
The scope issue I certainly can see that. Most of mine have red dots that mount far forward.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Another piece I would like to share doubles the price of the lower parts kit, but i put it on all my AR builds too.
I'ts called " The Bolt Lever" , I use it instead of the bolt catch that comes in a LPK. unlike others similar to it, it's one solid piece. It won't loosen or come apart like others that are a 2 piece do. they clamp onto the existing bolt lever catch, this one replaces it entirely. they can be found at T box tactical. it is very handy not having to change hand positions just to hit the bolt catch after changing mag's. simply use your trigger finger to quickly charge the BCG ( bolt carrier group )
Interesting, but too much for me. I have other guns that put the safety there. Quick mag changes are not so important to me unless we get restricted to 5 rounds like in canada.
1690482136420.png

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the idea of being able to shoot a .30 cal bullet from a AR-15 sized firearm..which is the reason I bought a 7'62 X39 AR upper.
Didn't hurt that I already had ammo, dies, & components from my Mini 30... and my PSA 7.62 X39 upper is a favorite.
From reading about it, I came to the understanding that the 300 BO is popular because it can shoot heavier bullets @ subsonic speed, making it ideal for a suppressor. I don't own ( or want ) a suppressor , so don't see a need for a 300BO. / upper. I already have too many AR's..if there is such a thing.
I know 300 BO is popular in my area, 'cause I find that brass on the ground every time I visit my club's outdoor range.

i want to add that H-110 is NOT a fast burning powder..the opposite, it's a slow burning powder .
That's the reason a magnum primer should be used, for it, or for Win 296

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I like the idea of being able to shoot a .30 cal bullet from a AR-15 sized firearm..which is the reason I bought a 7'62 X39 AR upper.
Didn't hurt that I already had ammo, dies, & components from my Mini 30... and my PSA 7.62 X39 upper is a favorite.
From reading about it, I came to the understanding that the 300 BO is popular because it can shoot heavier bullets @ subsonic speed, making it ideal for a suppressor. I don't own ( or want ) a suppressor , so don't see a need for a 300BO. / upper. I already have too many AR's..if there is such a thing.
I know 300 BO is popular in my area, 'cause I find that brass on the ground every time I visit my club's outdoor range.

i want to add that H-110 is NOT a fast burning powder..the opposite, it's a slow burning powder .
Correct. Lil' gun and H110 are both slow burn powders. Being fairly new to reloading, I get that confused sometimes. Both are ideal for 300 BO. I do use magnum primers and get excellent results with these powders.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic

H-110 is not a slow burning powder, but of course it is slower than some. It was the idea powder for the M1 carbine.

On the hodgdon burn rate chart is 63 out of 172 powders with 172 being the lowest. I would put it on fast side of a medium burn rate.

1690854037360.png

Medium burn rate powders below
Below are some common rifle powders often used in 7.62x51 size cartridges. 4895 is what was most often used to load the 30-06 for proper function in an M1 Garand that left significant empty space in the cartridge.

1690854268988.png

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
H 110 IS a slow burning powder, one of the slowest powers used in handgun cartridges.
Slower than A/A#9 ( slowest hangun powder in the A/A line, ) slower than Blue Dot, slower than 2400 ,it's actually the same powder as 296..athough
it's listted as a different powder in lists. ( Just as HP-38 being the same powder as 231, same powders both sold by Winchester & Hodgdon)

the slower burning powders in charts are rifle cartridge powders. Rifle cartridges , haviing much higher powder volumes, have to use slower burning powders to keep pressures within acceptable limits.