Did some 300 AAC Blackout Shooting Today

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
No, however you got me thinking of an AR as a versatile platform that can be dang near anything.
You have been playing around with the .300 BO, tell us why & how you load for it. :D

I got interested in 300 Blackout because it's very versatile. It's an outstanding CQB cartridge and it's derived directly from the 5.56 NATO cartridge. In fact, I am able to cut down and resize 5.56 brass to convert it to 300 Blackout. An AR can be converted to 300 Blackout simply by changing the barrel. All other hardware can remain...even magazines.

300 Blackout is made for short barrels. I utilize fast burning shotgun/pistol powders for reloading. Full powder burn can be accomplished in a barrel as short as 9 inches. My favorite powders are H110 and Lil' Gun, both made by Hodgdon.

For home defense, the 30 caliber bullet is awesome. With 30 rds. in an AR pistol, I have reached the conclusion that it's unbeatable for home defense and any CQB.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My favorite powders are H110 and Lil' Gun, both made by Hodgdon.
Interesting H-110 & Win 296 sound like great the fit for the .300. Do you use a magnum Pistol or Rifle primer?
I use both powders in .357 & .44 mag loads with a magnum primer.

So change the barrel & use the 5.56 mags? Seems simple. How about recoil impulse's? Same as a 5.56 ?
In it's high vel loadings the .300 BO seems 2 B good to go for deer sized game.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Interesting H-110 & Win 296 sound like great the fit for the .300. Do you use a magnum Pistol or Rifle primer?
I use both powders in .357 & .44 mag loads with a magnum primer.

So change the barrel & use the 5.56 mags? Seems simple. How about recoil impulse's? Same as a 5.56 ?
In it's high vel loadings the .300 BO seems 2 B good to go for deer sized game.
I do use a CCI magnum, small rifle primer. The recoil is similar to 5.56, maybe just a bit more due to the heavier bullet. The 300 Blackout is a good choice for deer size game out to about 300 yds.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
With the cartridge being formed out of easily found 5.56 brass & no further modification other than a barrel change, this seems the best choice for a general use cartridge.

How many others have this cartridge?

BobT

Fanatic
I have had a couple of .300 Blackout AR pistols and a carbine. All three guns were outstanding shooters with my subsonic load of Shooters World Blackout powder a 200 grain Nosler Accubond and a CCI 450 primer. I tried shooting Nosler 125 grain Ballistic Tips since it's a favorite bullet in my other small .30 calibers but I wasn't able to get any kind of accuracy. When fired through my Banish 30 suppressor the subsonic loads were ridiculously quiet and great fun to plink with. Magpul makes a .300 BO specific magazine that works a little better than the standard AR mags with the heavy bullet loadings. I ended up getting rid of all 3 guns and replacing them with .277 Wolverines.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I want to use the 300 blkout in a short 7.5 pistol length barrel. I was concerned that the all copper barnes bullets would not have enough velocity to properly peel back and would only just make 30 caliber through and through holes. i do have some jacketed 190 gr hollow points that I was going to drive a little above their intended subsonic velocities. I have not done anything yet.
I will not be using suppressor and do not want the recoil to be heavy in this braceless pistol.

Last edited:

thor363

New Fanatic
I haven't had my 300 out for a couple of years at least.

Since then I picked up a legit suppressor for it, and I think that's made me leary of ..."how hot of a cartridge is too hot for a supp"? I have reloads, subsonics for the suppressor, and hog hammer 130gr ...yet to test these.

It's certainly versatile. Now I want to go shoot it again..thanks. lol

Byron Wright

Fanatic
I have a 16" AR 300BO upper I can swap real quick. I think it's ideal for CQB and hog hunts. My next goal is to build a 10" pistol. I also have a 458 SOCOM AR upper for the same lower that I can use for bigger game & fun stuff. All three use the same mags, so you need to be careful to match the mag with the caliber. My suppressor is a .45 Grenadier which is rated full auto with .45 ACP & below, as well as 300BO, and subsonic only for the 458. Three guns in one bag.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Have thought about getting a Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper for one of the spare lowers I have, not much over 200 for the upper, 300 BO ammo has come down a fair amount, I don't reload but a buddy of mine has made his brass like someone above mentioned, that's impressive in my book! I didn't know Magpul made 300 BO mags either, also good to know, might be a good project down the road good topic for conversation

thor363

New Fanatic
I have had a couple of .300 Blackout AR pistols and a carbine. All three guns were outstanding shooters with my subsonic load of Shooters World Blackout powder a 200 grain Nosler Accubond and a CCI 450 primer. I tried shooting Nosler 125 grain Ballistic Tips since it's a favorite bullet in my other small .30 calibers but I wasn't able to get any kind of accuracy. When fired through my Banish 30 suppressor the subsonic loads were ridiculously quiet and great fun to plink with. Magpul makes a .300 BO specific magazine that works a little better than the standard AR mags with the heavy bullet loadings. I ended up getting rid of all 3 guns and replacing them with .277 Wolverines.
Curious now, I'd been using Magpul mags for 300, even the 40rd (which I now regret giving some to a friend). I'd not had any magazine related issues.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
6 years ago when I wanted to build my 1st AR pistol, everyone said to choose 300bo over 5.56 because they are quieter. I built a 10.5" barreled 300 bo, it was a fun pistol but after awhile I wanted a shorter 300 bo barrel, so I built a 7.5" barreled and liked it even better. then I started seeing 5" barrels, so I built one of those. it was more difficult because the gas tube bends were not right, so I had to bend it some to get it to work. these are so much fun to shoot that I don't shoot my rifle as much now. I just finished a 16" 300 bo build for a friend and he loves it, after shooting different grain bullets, we quickly saw that it liked the 125 grain bullets the best. I use 125 & 147 grain supersonic, and 200gr & 220 gr. subsonic when I attach the suppressor. I use adjustable gas blocks on all these pistols. I have 2 with 7.5" barrels and 1 with the 5" barrel now ( gave the 10.5 to my nephew ) I carry them inside eukelele guitar soft cases ( urban carry mode )
with the suppressor on, people at range tease me for bringing a pellet gun because its so quiet. here in Missouri you don't get more than 200 yard shots at deer, so it is a great caliber for deer, & hog's... I've been told, I don't hunt. I have two .223 Wylde rifles, three 300 bo pistols, and one .22LR rifle. if you want a super accurate sub MOA barrel, check out Blackhole weaponry barrels, they use polygonal rifling. You get to decide all the specs as these are custom made to your specs, length, profile, gas length, muzzle threading, fluting...etc. I have my .223's muzzle threaded in 5/8x24 like the 300 bo so I can screw the suppressor on without using an adapter and it is very handy. it takes 8-10 weeks to get the barrel and you can pay half when you order it, and pay the other half when it's ready to ship to you. splitting the payment makes it easier for me to buy them. All my builds use a side charging upper from bear creek arsenal, a carbon fiber lower from unbranded ar, with wilson combat lpk minus trigger, ( I use 2.5 lb triggers ) after trying many adjustable gas blocks and wasting a lot of $$ I found that the Gorilla Machining adjustable gas blocks are the best I've used and only use those for ears now and they are only $25, but they have the beefiest set screws I have seen and I've never had 1 problem with them.

Attachments

• 20220519_165439.jpg
    20220519_165439.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 3
  • AR Silencer.jpg
    AR Silencer.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 3

bman940

New Fanatic
I'm a big fan of the .300 BO. I always shoot mine suppressed with PNW Arms 125gr,155gr, and 220 gr Sierra MatchKings at 1060 fps. This rifle is an AAC upper and a spikes tactical lower. Consistent accuracy and the Riton 1 Tactix RRD is one heck of a Red Dot for getting on targets quickly and accurately. Perfect for feral swine in cover. I have found it to be both reliable and rugged. I love the cantilever mount that Riton used for this optic. All the features you would want for inside of 100 yards. When I'm using the lighter BO projectiles I go with a magnified optic that again, works great in low light and gets me on target fast.

Attachments

• IMG_7912.jpeg
    IMG_7912.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7909 2.jpeg
    IMG_7909 2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
t
Have thought about getting a Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper for one of the spare lowers I have, not much over 200 for the upper, 300 BO ammo has come down a fair amount, I don't reload but a buddy of mine has made his brass like someone above mentioned, that's impressive in my book! I didn't know Magpul made 300 BO mags either, also good to know, might be a good project down the road good topic for conversation
the 16" 300 bo i just made for a friend is a Bear Creek Upper and I was really impressed with it's accuracy with the 125 gr bullets. I've been buying BCA side charging uppers for many years and they work great. the only change I made to my friends BCA upper, was to remove the gas block and install a adjustable gas block from gorilla machining.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
I just got my Banish 30 suppressor and it is great. I've only tried it on my 300 BO and my .22LR so far.
I use ETS 5.56 mag's, but I remove the springs and use David Tubb mag springs in them. I also use the Tubb's buffer spring in all my builds.