Did some 300 AAC Blackout Shooting Today

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
H 110 IS a slow burning powder, one of the slowest powers used in handgun cartridges.
Slower than A/A#9 ( slowest hangun powder in the A/A line, ) slower than Blue Dot, slower than 2400 ,it's actually the same powder as 296..athough
it's listted as a different powder in lists. ( Just as HP-38 being the same powder as 231, same powders both sold by Winchester & Hodgdon)

the slower burning powders in charts are rifle cartridge powders. Rifle cartridges , haviing much higher powder volumes, have to use slower burning powders to keep pressures within acceptable limits.
True for handguns, but not true without adding that qualification. It seems for handguns to do well for .357 and .44 magnum with full loads.
People do tend to load the 300 blackout like it is a pistol cartridge. I use 296 and H-110 for 30 US carbine and will likely use it for 300 blackout.
For magnum pistol and 30 US carbine I think pressures are close to 40K PSI.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the idea of being able to shoot a .30 cal bullet from a AR-15 sized firearm..which is the reason I bought a 7'62 X39 AR upper.
Didn't hurt that I already had ammo, dies, & components from my Mini 30... and my PSA 7.62 X39 upper is a favorite.
From reading about it, I came to the understanding that the 300 BO is popular because it can shoot heavier bullets @ subsonic speed, making it ideal for a suppressor. I don't own ( or want ) a suppressor , so don't see a need for a 300BO. / upper. I already have too many AR's..if there is such a thing.
I know 300 BO is popular in my area, 'cause I find that brass on the ground every time I visit my club's outdoor range.

i want to add that H-110 is NOT a fast burning powder..the opposite, it's a slow burning powder .
That's the reason a magnum primer should be used, for it, or for Win 296
I wonder if somewhat heavier bullets could be used in the 7.62x39. The limiting spec might be rifling twist that I see for a 7.5 inch barrel gun is 1 in 10 ratio. The case volume is greater so maybe the 300 blackout is better for suppressor use since it should more efficiently burn a smaller charge of powder. I think my 300 blackout upper is 1 in 8 twist ratio. the original 300 whisper version was loaded with bullets up to 250 grains and I do not recall the twist. It was a subsonic load.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I've seen load data for 150gr bullets in 7'62 X39 but haven't loaded any in that weight...yet.
That's on my (lengthy) to-do list.
I have steel case russian loaded ammo with 154 soft points. Normally the load is 123-5 grains. I was thinking more like 200 grains for x39.
1690934838679.png

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have used Win 296 a slow burning pistol powder in a rifle using the .22 Hornet.
It would not do so well in the 5.56, it's just not slow enough for larger rifle cartridges.
I think H-110 gets a bit confusing in the 300 Blackout. It's a slow burning PISTOL powder, but viewed as a relatively fast burning powder in a RIFLE, from what I've gathered on other forums. That would explain its capability of reaching full powder burn in a 9 inch barrel.

Does that make sense?

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
I think H-110 gets a bit confusing in the 300 Blackout. It's a slow burning PISTOL powder, but viewed as a relatively fast burning powder in a RIFLE, from what I've gathered on other forums. That would explain its capability of reaching full powder burn in a 9 inch barrel.

Does that make sense?
Yes it makes real good sense.
Below are some of the powders listed by Hodgdon for reloading 125 grain bullets and they are mostly in rifles considered faster powders.
1690934062184.png
For 16 inch barrel lil' seems to be give highest velocities and lower pressure than for 296-H110 powder.
Lil' Gun is an advanced technology propellant designed for 410-bore shotshell reloaders. The 410 shotshell has long been difficult to load due to shortcomings in powder fit, metering, and burning characteristics, but no longer. Lil' Gun was designed to fit, meter and perform flawlessly in the 410-bore. No more spilled shot or bulged cases.

In addition, Lil' Gun has many magnum pistol applications and is a superb choice for reloading the 22 Hornet.

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
tYes it makes real good sense.
Below are some of the powders listed by Hodgdon for reloading 125 grain bullets and they are mostly in rifles considered faster powders.
View attachment 31939
For 16 inch barrel lil' seems to be give highest velocities and lower pressure than for 296-H110 powder.
Lil' Gun is an advanced technology propellant designed for 410-bore shotshell reloaders. The 410 shotshell has long been difficult to load due to shortcomings in powder fit, metering, and burning characteristics, but no longer. Lil' Gun was designed to fit, meter and perform flawlessly in the 410-bore. No more spilled shot or bulged cases.

In addition, Lil' Gun has many magnum pistol applications and is a superb choice for reloading the 22 Hornet.
I've also used Lil'Gun and have 3 lbs. of it. The results have been very good with both H110 and Lil' Gun. H110 generates a little more velocity with a 110 gr. bullet.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I've also used Lil'Gun and have 3 lbs. of it. The results have been very good with both H110 and Lil' Gun. H110 generates a little more velocity with a 110 gr. bullet.
Using either 110 or 296 in the .357 & .44 magnum, the powder charge being ball still needs to be up to the base of the bullet.
Any lighter charge will result in a huge fire ball @ the muzzle.

What is the fill like in the .300? Up to base of bullet?

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Using either 110 or 296 in the .357 & .44 magnum, the powder charge being ball still needs to be up to the base of the bullet.
Any lighter charge will result in a huge fire ball @ the muzzle.

What is the fill like in the .300? Up to base of bullet?
Yes, it is up to the base of the bullet. 20.2 grains is the max charge and I load the max. It may be slightly compressed. It's very close. The result is outstanding.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The 300 Blackout has now become my favorite firearm. I shoot supersonic rounds only. I've reached the conclusion that the round excels at everything I rely on a firearm for. Home defense, potential hunting round for deer sized game, and of course, recreational shooting.

It's fun to reload, and can be loaded with a variety of 30 caliber projectiles. A number of good powders can also be used....all in a standard AR platform rifle.

The 30 caliber bullet makes this round a heckuva home defense weapon.